1 Loss UGa v. 1 Loss Notre Dame for #4 Playoff Spot

jpa2825

Play along instead of tearing apart the hypothetical, please.

For me, UGa gets the #4 seed b/c they beat ND at ND and their loss (to Alabama on a neutral field) is better than ND's loss to UGa at home.

NOTE:

The most likely part of this equation is 1 loss UGa. They'll be favored against all future opponents except Bama.

ND has a tough road to the end of the season, but should also be favored in all games so that could easily happen.

Assuming Bama is #1, toughest thing might be finding #2 and #3 to make this a battle for the final playoff spot.

Figure the B1G winner gets in above both if they have 1 loss (and certainly if Wisconsin is undefeated).

Can't argue for Clemson over UGa or ND.

Oklahoma is the only Big12 school you could make an argument for (particularly if tOSU is the B1G representative), but a loss to Iowa St. at home is not as good as either ND or UGa losses.

Washington is only Pac12 team that could be a 1 loss champion, but their loss is worse and their schedule is bad. No way they get in over ND or UGa.

So, the real question is would the other Power 5 conferences allow a final 4 w/ 2 SEC, 1 B1G and 1/2 independent / 1/2 ACC? In this instance, I think they'd have to. Maybe that would force them to start talking about 6 or 8 teams. My vote would be 8 teams. Round 1 before Xmas. Round 2 around /on New Years Day. Round 3 a weekish later (not to interfere with NFL).

It's tougher than just head to head IMO. If it's close as in the game could go either way, then I go UGA. But if Bama wins convincingly by a TD or more I go ND. I look at the SEC champ game as a play in game for the playoff. I honestly think UGA wins the SEC champ game and then you have Bama vs ND and I don't know what the committee does there.