BluegrassPreps Class 2A Football Rankings (9/25) Discussion

Ram

Class 2A

Mayfield could not remain undefeated as they came up short in a comeback bid against 3A Corbin. With this loss, only Danville, DeSales, and Lexington Christian Academy remain unblemished. Of the the three, Danville faces the stiffest test as they take on a 6A Tates Creek squad that may be playing the best ball of all the Fayette Public Schools. Christian Academy-Louisville returns to action for the first time since their loss and will have a 6A test of their own on the road at Meade County. Somerset continues to impress and will look to knock off their fourth consecutive ranked foe as they make the trek to 1A Raceland. This week also features two huge District battles as Leslie County travels to Prestonsburg and Metcalfe County hosts Monroe County.

1. Danville vs. 6A Tates Creek

2. DeSales vs. 6A North Hardin

3. Lexington Christian Academy at Middlesboro

4. Mayfield vs. Murray

5. Christian Academy-Louisville at 6A Meade County

6. Somerset at 1A #5 Raceland

7. Newport Central Catholic -- OPEN

8. Walton-Verona -- OPEN

9. Glasgow at Green County

10. Owensboro Catholic at McLean County

That is a pretty solid Top 10. Regardless of records, I still think the top 5 are interchangeable and are set apart from the next 5. The next 5 are also interchangeable 6-10.

If Somerset can take Raceland behind the woodshed this week, I think the Jumpers will begin to inch closer and closer to the teams ahead of them. Ultimately though, the two huge district showdowns in the coming weeks will tell the story for Somerset this year. But for now, they've earned their spot at the top of the 6-10 group.

What is LCA's most impressive win so far this season?

Just comparing scores, not the best way to compare but all we really have, LCA beat Waggener much easier than #1 Danville did and beat Lexington Catholic more impressively than did #2 Desales. LCA also hammered a #8 Walton-Verona team that nearly beat 1A #2 KCD losing only 21-20.

Just comparing scores, not the best way to compare but all we really have, LCA beat Waggener much easier than #1 Danville did and beat Lexington Catholic more impressively than did #2 Desales. LCA also hammered a Walton-Verona team that nearly beat 1A #2 KCD losing only 21-20.

I'm not buying it yet. They are good but I need to see them earn an impressive win. I think Danville has the most impressive win so far. On a side note, I can't wait to watch Danville vs LCA

I'm not buying it yet. They are good but I need to see them earn an impressive win. I think Danville has the most impressive win so far. On a side note, I can't wait to watch Danville vs LCA

I wasn't selling it, it is what it is. Danville's win over Boyle is their most impressive win as Pulaski is just down this year and it was Douglas's first game ever. Danville has looked great until the Waggener game...maybe that was just a one game bump, all teams seem to have those.

I agree Danville and LCA playing for a #1 seed should be a great game and atmosphere.

That is a pretty solid Top 10. Regardless of records, I still think the top 5 are interchangeable and are set apart from the next 5. The next 5 are also interchangeable 6-10.

You try way too hard not to be a homer. Lets see how the Jumpers play against the next three opponents, maybe they can compete and maybe they can't... It wasn't THAT long ago that Somerset was dominating the district, so its obviously possible.

Going out on a limb here, I'm going to give a way to early prediction of DeSales/Mayfield vs Lexington Christian Academy for the title.

We have to get through CAL twice to make that happen. I'll gladly take the L on the first game for the win in the playoffs. We've had a habit of doing just that, except for last year. This is a young Colts team. But they are growing up really fast. Lets just take it one game at a time. Winning at Mayfield will be a very tough task for either us, or CAL. Whoever awaits that winner on the other side between Danville or LCA or NCC or even Somerset, It's pick your poison, strap it up and do work!

I left Austin Peay Friday with more questions than answers about Mayfield. When the schedule was rolled out and you told me that MF would be 5-1 I would have been very pleased but now looking back it is my opinion that the schedule the Cards played on paper vs the one on the field are different. Union City, TN was the #1 ranked preseason 2A in TN but it was obvious from our game with them that they were not as advertised. Hopkinsville lost their 2 best players and were a shadow of what was supposed to have been. McCracken, Tilghman and Graves were all good but not great teams. Then there is Corbin, a close loss that could have gone either way and did expose areas that need to be fixed and luckily are all things that are easily fixed. but how good is Corbin? They beat Alcoa but Alcoa does not appear to be the team they have been in recent years and then there was the loss to a good Beechwood. Clearly Corbin is a good team but are they or any of the other teams MF has faced state title level? I still cant tell, nor can I tell where MF is really at. The run game was not great against Corbin but the starting back was out and his replacement was playing sparingly with a nagging injury himself. Even then I though MF should be more effective running the ball behind what is believed to be a stellar o line but 96 yards on 25 carries is not going to get you a title when you have a sophomore QB who is still learning. The D actually played Corbin well if you take away 3 long pass plays and stop getting drawn offsides that. We had 5 or 6 procedure calls that gave Corbin first downs or first and 5's and this was huge in keeping drives alive for the Hounds who are good enough that they don't need any extra help. I think MF has a good shot at being a legit title contender and will fix these issues but I think for now the West side favorites are DeSales and CAL and I really like the physical aspects of what DeSales is doing. They are my West #1 for now anyway.

You try way too hard not to be a homer. Lets see how the Jumpers play against the next three opponents, maybe they can compete and maybe they can't... It wasn't THAT long ago that Somerset was dominating the district, so its obviously possible.

I don't disagree with you...I just would like to see a bit more from our offense than we've seen.

Well when we get to the end of the year obviously injuries will be a big part of who can play at a consistent high level for more than one game. With this many good teams it is going to be important to stay healthy and be able to bounce back after huge wins........and win on the road.

Some team has to win it all. That team will have earned it. No easy roads this year.