Bishop Brossart's new complex

brooksville

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint, the "merge in a central location" train left the station during Bishop Hughes' tenure when he proposed a merger of the two schools in Cold Springs, behind Bob Evans, across from St. Joe.

Bishop Hughes had great ideas but lacked the intestinal fortitude to see them through.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have two state contending Class 1A track teams who need a home as well as the major sports. Sorry for the inconvenience. :)

It wasn't a knock on the facility or the field. I understand the need for track teams...it was just my opinion on what I like

NCC is a legacy school that no longer can offer what it once did. Many Catholic schools in Cincinnati or across the country felt they would rebound but instead had to combine. With the addition of the fantastic new facility that BBHS has planned and financed, why would a top athlete want to go to NCC? NCC still has a 1950's era gym, Newport HS football field, baseball/softball field in Silver Grove...doesn't make sense. Everything comes full circle and if you are old enough to remember BBHS was ready to disappear in 1983...now they are ready to establish themselves as the premier parochial high school in Campbell County. Salute to BBHS for the foresight to excel.

Don't see merger because neither school is located in an area where kids from one school would ever travel to the other location. You would NEVER get most of kids from NCC to travel south to Brossart, and that would leave most of county without a parocial school. Won't happen. And obviously the majority of the southern county kids will stay at Brossart. Sure a merger might create a powerful school athletically, but it wouldn't happen because the kids WON"T come to either one. Just leave everyone alone and things will be fine.

I think you need to look at the big picture here. Catholic schools don't have the state money to fall back on so if they are short they have to give up on some things. Just ask the people who were let go a couple years ago from both schools. More kids in classes with less teachers always will win. In the parochial system money dictates everything. Sad to say Brossart has slowly built a nice thing up while New Cath sat buy.

Buy the way does BOONE county have a catholic high school. If so it slips my mind but I know parents that live over there that send kids to St Henry and Cov Cath so if it's a good school they will travel. It's not always about athletic endeavors although it helps.

Glad to see Brossart moving forward and all the best. Looks like a nice commitment and facility

NCC is a legacy school that no longer can offer what it once did. Many Catholic schools in Cincinnati or across the country felt they would rebound but instead had to combine. With the addition of the fantastic new facility that BBHS has planned and financed, why would a top athlete want to go to NCC? NCC still has a 1950's era gym, Newport HS football field, baseball/softball field in Silver Grove...doesn't make sense. Everything comes full circle and if you are old enough to remember BBHS was ready to disappear in 1983...now they are ready to establish themselves as the premier parochial high school in Campbell County. Salute to BBHS for the foresight to excel.

If NCC ever closes (which it won't because of the Diocese obsession with urban education) probably 70% of the kids would end up at Highlands (another thing the Diocese would not like) and 15% percent at ND and 15% at CovCath.

If NCC ever closes (which it won't because of the Diocese obsession with urban education) probably 70% of the kids would end up at Highlands (another thing the Diocese would not like) and 15% percent at ND and 15% at CovCath.

Horse Hockey! According to your math 100% would go someplace else? Can't hide your bias.

Edited by footstomp
Spelling

I think you need to look at the big picture here. Catholic schools don't have the state money to fall back on so if they are short they have to give up on some things. Just ask the people who were let go a couple years ago from both schools. More kids in classes with less teachers always will win. In the parochial system money dictates everything. Sad to say Brossart has slowly built a nice thing up while New Cath sat buy.

Buy the way does BOONE county have a catholic high school. If so it slips my mind but I know parents that live over there that send kids to St Henry and Cov Cath so if it's a good school they will travel. It's not always about athletic endeavors although it helps.

Glad to see Brossart moving forward and all the best. Looks like a nice commitment and facility

I am looking at the big picture. I'm being realistic. First of all, how would the kids form the inner city get to Alexandria? Also as mentioned the diocese is committed to inner city schools and it's not like NCC is on it's last legs. Their GYM is the same age as CovCath's, which doesn't seem like a problem for them, and it is considably bigger than Brossart's. So the gym isn't a problem. Playing at Newport's stadium has worked for over 75 years and it is a great facility. Their football teams have had great success playing there. This isn't a knock at all on Brossart's moving forward with their facility. Great for them. But don't be acting like NCC is on it's way out. By the way, Boone County does have a Catholic high school. St. Henry is officially called St. Henry District High School and is located in BOONE COUNTY.

I'll stick with my original statement that their won't be a merger.

It wasn't a knock on the facility or the field. I understand the need for track teams...it was just my opinion on what I like

I don't see why schools can't use portable bleachers or ones that pull out like in most basketball gyms. Small schools rarely have enough space to have a track and football field separate