Best Radio Annoucer in High School

Radioboy74

None of the guys mentioned here are in high school:D (check the thread title)...........I bet Steve Bertram can't even remember high school it was so long ago.:sssh:

And if you read the first post by the starter of this thread you will notice that the poster named what appears to be guys that are not in high school which leads me to the logical assumption that the intent on this thread is being met:D

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the guys mentioned here are in high school:D (check the thread title)...........I bet Steve Bertram can't even remember high school it was so long ago.:sssh:

It was so long ago that Lincoln County has no record of him attending! :lol: :D

Inside joke.

Danny Weddle and Philip Hay do a great job for WFTM. They have had numerous opportunities to hammer our team or head coach over the past 11 years and they never do that. They are always fair and professional.

Thanks Chief.

We are still waiting on the head coach to make a bone-head move that will have us lash out at him.

Plus the last time I checked that guy down on the sidelines has forgot more about football than I will ever know.

I guess I should have made it clearer I was meaning Radio Announcer calling games at the High School level. If they are high school students or not.

I have been around doing games for about 5 years and don't get the chance to hear many for being on the air myself. I have listened to games while calling the game to get scores.

Dickie Martin does great as does: Dan Manley (Montgomery), Ted & Kent Robinson (Fairview), Jerry Glass (Morgan), John Mansfield (Former Bath Co PBP still does a few here and there for WMST & WKCA), I Went blank the guys at Mason Co., Coach Kidwell (Lewis), Tim Carper (West Carter & East Carter WUGO), Charlie Dunlap (Russell and Raceland) and The new guy for Rowan County is doing a fine job I think this is his first year calling games. I have heard all of these calling games.

He has and done a bang up job. I honestly believe had he pursued it he could have been network some day but Steve just seemed to want to stay in CKY for life and I thank him for it. :thumb:

Hatz,

Do you remember a guy by the name of John Logan Smith that called the games for Lincoln County when they were on the radio? He did an outstanding job and was very professional. I really enjoyed listening to him. He was (and still is) a class act.

Hatz,

Do you remember a guy by the name of John Logan Smith that called the games for Lincoln County when they were on the radio? He did an outstanding job and was very professional. I really enjoyed listening to him. He was (and still is) a class act.

John is one of those guys you meet in the business and are glad you get to know a little. He was doing things in small town radio that no one was back in the day. He had a leg up with a good Dad that taught him a lot of life lessons and business lessons and John improved on what was already there. Of all the other radio crews I met along the way I had more admiration for what he did at WRSL than anyone else. (Genie Sims at Harrodsburg was another great guy to know but sportscasting wasn't his living.)

I'd say anyone who can give the score, who's got the ball, and how much time is left is doing a credible job. The rest is gravy to the sportscast, voice, inflection, description. I think most people don't sit and listen to a game from beginning to end. I for one, can't stand it, when I'm scanning the dial, and the announcer won't give the score, or anything else that would be considered pertinent information. I've heard some guys out there who are a disgrace to the word "announcer" and have no business behind a mike of any kind. Good help is hard to find. And I'm pretty sure, these guys, even the good ones, do this as a labor of love, as I'm betting you're not gonna get rich announcing high school sports.

No doubt Dickie is the Man, Draws a picture of the game with words. The few games I have missed were tolerable because of his skill. I dont think anybody else could have as much passion for ASHLAND sports as Dickie Martin an Dirk. Those two are the voice of the TOMCATS!!! Wouldnt have it any other way!

:thumb: :thumb:

I liked Scott Brown calling Trigg County games on WKDZ in the early part of this century. He called the game and kept stats; never missed a beat. He gets my vote. :thumb:

Someone told me he is back on the radio over there and I listened to one of their games on the internet stream. Probably a good move. I remember his stats and history the few times I listened to a Trigg game.

And I'm pretty sure, these guys, even the good ones, do this as a labor of love, as I'm betting you're not gonna get rich announcing high school sports.

:thumb: Amen...take it from someone who knows first hand...you did it because you love the sport, the team, and most importantly the young men and women that you broadcast. It is certainly not the money!!!

:thumb: Amen...take it from someone who knows first hand...you did it because you love the sport, the team, and most importantly the young men and women that you broadcast. It is certainly not the money!!!

I will second that!! :thumb:

Always liked Philip Hay and Danny Wedle, and Richie Butler from Maysville Soft 96.:thumb:

Thanks for the kind words. It is actually Jason Butler.