Do You Regularly Read A Newspaper(s)?

WESTSIDE

From a personal perspective dealing with and working closely to the Cincinnati media every day, there is simply no longer much respect given to working a beat. Maybe that has a lot to do with shrinking deadlines and the sinking of the newspaper business as a whole, but there are only a few guys I have any respect for in how they cover their beat. If there is access, the beat guy should be there. If there isn't access, he should be figuring out how to get in while others can't. Instead they show up at the last minute possible to collect their shallow interviews and bounce before gathering any actual information. It drives me crazy at times, but is also a huge reason I have been able to build a business off of hard work and putting in the time others refuse to do even though it is in their job description...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kentucky post was always the best to cover prep sports in NKY. The thursday evening paper always had a write up of the game of the week, the friday edition would have a smaller write up of another game then give small write ups with predicitions of all Friday night games. Saturdays before we went to practice wed read the recaps. Once the Post went away the prep coverage went down the tube.

A month or so ago I called to cancel my subscription because of poor delivery and lousy news. I was offered a price reduction of 75 % plus a free month if I continued to subscribe. They want to say that they have a certain amount of subscribers or they may lose advertisers.

I still love a paper to read. Can't stand reading online. Hard to read online when on American Standard!!

As for Enquirer, someone mentioned in depth stories. They are called human interest stories and the paper is completely different than what I read even 8 years ago. It's opinion being typed as fact.

Not when you have a tablet.

• 6 months later...
Just online papers.I.M.O. the newspapers have out priced themselves.

I rarely read them online anymore. The advertisements come to hard and too often, and mostly get in the way. I know that’s how they make their revenue, but you have to now navigate through Pop ups before accessing any content.

We get the Sunday paper mainly for the ads and coupons. Somehow we get stretches where we don't have it in the driveway on sundays but the neighbors do. We've canceled before, but restarted because the 0.99 price a week beats the in store price. Recently they didn't deliver 2 out of 3 sundays. The 1st Sunday I called and went through the automated customer service. One of the choices was "do you want the paper delivered today" and I chose yes. The paper never showed up. 2weeks later and no paper again so this time I called and spoke to a rep. Both the rep and a supervisor told me they could not guarantee that I'd have the paper every Sunday (isn't that their job to deliver to me every Sunday) and didn't seem to care too much about it. They both asked if I wanted the days paper and I said yes. The 1st said it would be there by 10:30. The next said it would be there sometime, but didn't know why the 1st rep said 10:30. Did it ever show up.....no. I called the next day and let them have it and asked for the delivery supervisor to call me and explain why it didn't show even after they asked if I wanted it. Did the supervisor call? Nope. Tuesday morning there was a Sunday paper in my driveway. Frustrating.

I like to read our Community paper, the Sunday Enquirer although it stinks(have to use magnifying glass sometimes) and I preferred the old Post, WSJ and Courier Journal at times. I simply hate trying to read stuff like newspapers online, much rather have the old school printed version in my hands.

(By the way, isn't taking phones, tablets or laptops in the throne room with you rather unhygienic?)

When Dad passed away, I ended my subscription to the Tampa Tribune, which was subsequently bought by the St. Petersburg Times to become the Tampa Bay Times.

The Times prints a free newspaper called the tbt that has daily news, sports, and select columns from the paid paper. They drop off a stack at the door of my employer every morning. Sometimes I peruse that when waiting for my lunch to microwave, but I spend most of that time looking at the automotive dealer ads. That's about it.

Everything else I can get from multiverse.

When Dad passed away, I ended my subscription to the Tampa Tribune, which was subsequently bought by the St. Petersburg Times to become the Tampa Bay Times.

The Times prints a free newspaper called the tbt that has daily news, sports, and select columns from the paid paper. They drop off a stack at the door of my employer every morning. Sometimes I peruse that when waiting for my lunch to microwave, but I spend most of that time looking at the automotive dealer ads. That's about it.

Everything else I can get from multiverse.

Just my luck. Today, the Tampa Bay Times announced that they were returning the tbt to a weekly format starting in June. It was a weekly paper prior to June 2006. Since I refuse to pay for a subscription to the Times, so I guess I'll be done with the hard copy press at that time.