Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Corey Dillon worthy of the Hall?

Featured Replies

I dont think he has the rookie rushing record anymore either, because didn't Mike Anderson break that his rookie year with the Broncos...

You are correct..

 

From football.com...

Most Yards Gained, Rookie, Game

 

251 Mike Anderson Denver at NO (12/3/00)

246 Corey Dillon Cincinnati vs Tenn (12/4/97)

237 Jim Brown Cleveland vs LA Rams (11/24/57)

  • Replies 50
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bettis is No. 5 all time in rushing yards. Stop speaking with your heart and use your head. He is a no-brainer HOFer, although probably not first ballot.

 

Dillon and George are very similar, numbers-wise.

 

But not situation-wise. Football logic shows that the teams ability to win dictates how many carries a back gets. The Bengals were putrid. Everyone knows that backs from losing teams see less carries due to playing catch-up. Not to mention that Dillon played with only one decent QB, and Esiason was on his way to retirement at that. The teams he played for hurt his numbers. Bettis is NO. 5 due in large part to the fact that he played for the franchise with the best record and most continuity over the last decade. Their defense allowed Bettis to run the ball into the fourth quarter, b/c the Steelers were winning. George was, in my opinion, overrated. He averaged 3.7 ypc, or something like that, for good teams. If the Hall-of-Fame committe looks at statistics and weighs them against how the team around the player was, then I don't see how Dillon can't get in.

  • Author
But not situation-wise. Football logic shows that the teams ability to win dictates how many carries a back gets. The Bengals were putrid. Everyone knows that backs from losing teams see less carries due to playing catch-up. Not to mention that Dillon played with only one decent QB, and Esiason was on his way to retirement at that. The teams he played for hurt his numbers. Bettis is NO. 5 due in large part to the fact that he played for the franchise with the best record and most continuity over the last decade. Their defense allowed Bettis to run the ball into the fourth quarter, b/c the Steelers were winning. George was, in my opinion, overrated. He averaged 3.7 ypc, or something like that, for good teams. If the Hall-of-Fame committe looks at statistics and weighs them against how the team around the player was, then I don't see how Dillon can't get in.

 

 

If Bettis gets knocked for being on good teams then what do you make of Emmit Smith?

He averaged 1,000 yards while his team was behind in almost every game. Let's face it, if the Bengals were at least mediocre when he played, you could add another 1,500 yards on his career numbers. Truth is, when he ran against a lot of 8 man fronts. There was noone else for the D to respect, and he still ran for 278+ yards. What he did for who he played for is very very impressive. If he isn't Hall of Fame, Jerome Bettis and Eddie George definitely aren't.

 

 

Let me give you the counterpoint: He got his yards because he was the only weapon they had. They're still an NFL team - they simply didn't have a very good offense in general. However, even bad teams produce 100 yard runners.

 

Bettis will be interesting. In his case, you have to factor in quality and clutch.

I agree with the Two Angry Guys. The Hall OF Fame should be for the All Time greats.

 

If you have to debate it, they're not a HOF'er.

 

Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, those are HOF'ers.

 

 

I don't think many people consider Rayfield Wright an "all-time great."

 

So, if that's your criteria, it doesn't seem to be that of the voters- especially as they player ages.

  • Author
I don't think many people consider Rayfield Wright an "all-time great."

 

So, if that's your criteria, it doesn't seem to be that of the voters- especially as they player ages.

 

 

Yeah it seems as if players get sympathy votes as they approach the end of their life. I don't mean to be harsh, and i don't see anything wrong with it, but its just how i see it.

IMO the mark of a very good runner is 1,200 yards in a season anything above that is elite.

You are correct..

 

From football.com...

Most Yards Gained, Rookie, Game

 

251 Mike Anderson Denver at NO (12/3/00)

246 Corey Dillon Cincinnati vs Tenn (12/4/97)

237 Jim Brown Cleveland vs LA Rams (11/24/57)

 

:thumb: I thought so! But anways Dillon still has two of the biggest rushing days in NFL history.... When he set the NFL record it came against Denver who was the number 1 rush defense in the league going into game. So it will be interesting to see if Dillion ever makes it to the HOF because he does have some number that could help him out...

The standard for a hall-of-famer should be - was he consistently the best at his position? How many times was CD named all-pro? I think the answer is 3 - 1999 through 2001. So, for three years, Dillon was considered to be one of the best at his position.

 

Bettis was named 6 times, including '93, '94, '96 and '97 - four years out of five. 5th on the all-time list for rushing yards vs. 16th for Dillon.

 

Single-game numbers mean almost nothing in terms of HOF credentials. Is anyone saying that Mike Anderson is HOF material? Some guy had 9 RBI in a game for the Dodgers the other day, but the HOF is about having: a) a reasonably long career where you were: b) considered to be one of the very best at your position for several years. There are rare exceptions, but I'm not sure Dillon is one of them. I think he may need to crack the top 10 in rushing yards to have any shot.

If Bettis gets knocked for being on good teams then what do you make of Emmit Smith?

 

I didn't knock Bettis. I said that when people say that he is no. 5 all-time that you have to take into account the teams that he played for, the lines that blocked for him, and his talent. I would put Barry Sanders ahead of Emmit.

Corey Dillon was All-Pro 1999-2002

 

Bettis was All-Pro 93-94, 96, 2002, 2005

 

Carries- Bettis 3,479 Dillon 2.460

Yards- Bettis 13,662 Dillon 10,598

YPC- Bettis 3.9 Dillon 4.3

TDs- Bettis 91 Dillon 70

Team Wins- Bettis 97 w/ Steelers in 10 seasons

Dillon 32 w/ Bengals in 7 seasons

 

Dillon's numbers, when put in perspective with how bad his teams were, deserves consideration. Bettis is not heads and shoulders ahead of him.

Bettis is No. 5 all time in rushing yards. Stop speaking with your heart and use your head. He is a no-brainer HOFer, although probably not first ballot.

 

Dillon and George are very similar, numbers-wise.

 

I like him but was not able to open the list and didn't realize he was that high on the list. I was thinking he was near the bottom of the top 15. I had forgot how long he has been around and I agree he will get in. 3.9ypg is nothing to shout about but given how he was used at the end of his career it is understandable.

AT first I thought no way but when you look at the stats he will have to be seriously considered.

Corey Dillon was All-Pro 1999-2002

 

Bettis was All-Pro 93-94, 96, 2002, 2005

 

Carries- Bettis 3,479 Dillon 2.460

Yards- Bettis 13,662 Dillon 10,598

YPC- Bettis 3.9 Dillon 4.3

TDs- Bettis 91 Dillon 70

Team Wins- Bettis 97 w/ Steelers in 10 seasons

Dillon 32 w/ Bengals in 7 seasons

 

Dillon's numbers, when put in perspective with how bad his teams were, deserves consideration. Bettis is not heads and shoulders ahead of him.

 

I have seen a few in here look to denigrate Bettis' numbers with the lame excuse of "he played on good teams, so he had more opportunities," so I think it is important to put some of his numbers in perspective also:

 

'93 - Rams (5-11) - 1,429 yds

'94 - Rams (4-12) - 1,025

'95 - Rams (7-9) - 637 (in 15 games — this was after the move to St. Louis, and his carries were essentially halved as punishment for his holdout)

'98 - Steelers (7-9) - 1,185 (in 15 games)

'99 - Steelers (6-10) - 1,091

'03 - Steelers (6-10) - 666 yds (in 13 games — this was during the Pegram experiment, a year where Bus saw his carries limited by injury and situation — the year before he ran for 1,072 in 11 games)

 

He may have had more opportunities, but somebody had to do the running, and stay healthy and effective. And he excelled for losing teams as well.

 

Also, I do give Dillon consideration for the teams he played on, and I think that does give him a leg up on an Eddie George. And while my memory was fuzzy on those single-game records, he did own them at one time, and I look upon that as him being among the best at his position during those times. As I said before, I think Dillon is HOF-worthy.

  • Author
I have seen a few in here look to denigrate Bettis' numbers with the lame excuse of "he played on good teams, so he had more opportunities," so I think it is important to put some of his numbers in perspective also:

 

'93 - Rams (5-11) - 1,429 yds

'94 - Rams (4-12) - 1,025

'95 - Rams (7-9) - 637 (in 15 games — this was after the move to St. Louis, and his carries were essentially halved as punishment for his holdout)

'98 - Steelers (7-9) - 1,185 (in 15 games)

'99 - Steelers (6-10) - 1,091

'03 - Steelers (6-10) - 666 yds (in 13 games — this was during the Pegram experiment, a year where Bus saw his carries limited by injury and situation — the year before he ran for 1,072 in 11 games)

 

He may have had more opportunities, but somebody had to do the running, and stay healthy and effective. And he excelled for losing teams as well.

 

Also, I do give Dillon consideration for the teams he played on, and I think that does give him a leg up on an Eddie George. And while my memory was fuzzy on those single-game records, he did own them at one time, and I look upon that as him being among the best at his position during those times. As I said before, I think Dillon is HOF-worthy.

 

Well put. I agree:thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.