2017 State Tournament fun fact

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Indiana still have the different class champs play each other after the titles are determined?

BTW I thought that was a horrible idea.

No, we did that the 1st two years in '98 and '99 but the attendance was so bad they stopped. The attendance has gotten better (still not like it was in single class) for 1) Indiana ppl love their basketball second to none and 2) kids playing today weren't even born when they started the class system in '98.

I'm from a Class A school who has been fortunate enough to get there (2000) and won a game once we got there. We've also been fortunate enough to have won the All "A" State Championship in 2007. Sort of the best of both worlds

With that being said I am solidly in the corner of a one class system.

Is it fair? Certainly not. Silver Grove, Calvary Christian, and the myriad of other Christ-centered and small population towns which haven't been gobbled up by consolidation - It ain't happenin for ya! But then neither is the All "A", nor a six classified state with a Class 1-A.

Speaking from experience, there is NOTHING like winning a Regional Championship and going on to play in the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen State Tournament - nothing!

Would I trade my All "A" State ring? Never, that is quite an accomplishment in itself, seeing how hard we work to get that chance.

Every so often the pieces fall into place and a small school makes the trip to Lexington, and when that happens, it is WELL worth the wait.

I'm from a Class A school who has been fortunate enough to get there (2000) and won a game once we got there. We've also been fortunate enough to have won the All "A" State Championship in 2007. Sort of the best of both worlds

With that being said I am solidly in the corner of a one class system.

Is it fair? Certainly not. Silver Grove, Calvary Christian, and the myriad of other Christ-centered and small population towns which haven't been gobbled up by consolidation - It ain't happenin for ya! But then neither is the All "A", nor a six classified state with a Class 1-A.

Speaking from experience, there is NOTHING like winning a Regional Championship and going on to play in the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen State Tournament - nothing!

Would I trade my All "A" State ring? Never, that is quite an accomplishment in itself, seeing how hard we work to get that chance.

Every so often the pieces fall into place and a small school makes the trip to Lexington, and when that happens, it is WELL worth the wait.

All this, except the part about winning, because that hasn't happened around these parts yet, and maybe it won't. If it does though? Those kids become legends. That's worth the wait as a fan.

That state tournament at one point used to be somewhat classified. There were two brackets each with 8 teams at state. Bracket A had big schools and Bracket B had small schools. Winner of Bracket A and B met in the finals.

When was that?

That is an idea I thought would work. It would require realignment of districts and regions in the entire state. You would have 8 regions for big schools and 8 for small schools. Feed it on down from there. I think that keeps the Sweet 16 intact and you still end up with one state champion. The championship games might be a bit of a let down more often than not but it gives you the Sweet 16 with a big school champ, small school champ and one overall champ.

That state tournament at one point used to be somewhat classified. There were two brackets each with 8 teams at state. Bracket A had big schools and Bracket B had small schools. Winner of Bracket A and B met in the finals.

When was that?

That was from 1927-1936. It was also the impetus for allowing district runners-up to make the region. During the classed days, both the district "A" champ and district "B" champ made it to the region tournament. Allowing district runners-up to advance to the region was a concession to the small schools after classification was dropped and the move was made to 16 regions.

It worked well but that was a different time. Most districts had 8-12 teams; with 3-5 teams in districts now it would be feasible. The region and state tournaments were also classed. It is important to note that in most cases the gap between "large" schools and "small" schools wasn't that wide. Some schools were "A" teams in the district, "B" teams in the region, and back to "A" teams in the state. The size difference in schools plus the fact that we have about 2/3 fewer schools than we did then would make a similar tournament format unrealistic.

I think this is a pretty good fact. Cooper is only 9 years old but hold the distinction of being the only school from Boone Co. to ever play for the state title. Hopefully it won't be the last. Kudos to coach Sullivan and his staff for building it from the ground up.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the last year of the single class tourney in Indiana was 1997. I was there. 32,000 for the semis. Didn't stay for the finals since the coach I knew got knocked out in semis. Hoosier Dome. Electric atmosphere to say the least. Since I did not stay don't know how many for finals that year. But it was not the Damon Bailey senior year. I have heard over 40,000 was true for that day. Don't know where they put them. LOL!