2017 State Tournament fun fact

Mason County was 3A in 2008 and in 2003 I believe (not 100% on that). Newport Central Catholic was 2A and made it to the Final Four last year. I think classifying would be devastating, I can see why the Class A and AA schools would want it, but the way I see it if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Regardless of school size, enrollment, etc..

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange but True. In the 50th year of the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen in Louisville Freedom Hall 1967 a Ninth Region team (CovCath) was the Runner-up and 50 years later in Lexington Rupp Arena 2017 a Ninth Region team (Cooper) was the Runner-up.

Don't really remember what Region Earlington was from but if they were from the same Region as BG, WOW......

Strange but True. In the 50th year of the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen in Louisville Freedom Hall 1967 a Ninth Region team (CovCath) was the Runner-up and 50 years later in Lexington Rupp Arena 2017 a Ninth Region team (Cooper) was the Runner-up.

Don't really remember what Region Earlington was from but if they were from the same Region as BG, WOW......

1967 Earlington High

District tourney games

72-40 over West Hopkins

77-44 over Madisonville

Regional tourney games

87-68 over Hopkinsville

67-48 over Christian Co.

106-53 over Providence

Assuming that in 1967 the Regional layout was fairly consistent with the way it is now my best guess would be that Earlington was from Region 2.

Nonetheless still an interesting piece of trivia regarding the 9th Region being runner-ups 50 years apart.

Our neighbors to the North (reference point is Covington) have 4 classes with a little over 200 schools per class. If the Commonwealth does decide to classify (and I do not want this, mind you), it should be A and AA only as there are about 275 high schools who compete in boys basketball in Kentucky.

Classification would kill high school basketball in the state of Kentucky

What, would kids stop playing?? Would kids suddenly start wrestling or swimming if basketball was classed?? If that's the case, I'm all for classification...I can always use a few more wrestlers.

Nearly every state is classed, and high school basketball is alive and well.