Kudos to Cole Vonhandorf

Tonight's 9th region finals loss to Cooper brought an end to a high school career that we do not see very often in NKY.

2 trips to Rupp Arena. 1 state title.

4 trips to the region finals

All-time scorer at CCH

4-year starter at place that doesn't do that very often

About 2600+ points in his career including his 8th grade year at VMA.

Multiple all-state awards

9th region POY

Too many clutch plays to list

All of that pales to the quality of a kid that he is. I'll miss seeing him on the floor and miss watching him compete.

Heckuva run, CVH.

Got my first CVH experience when he was an 8th grader at Villa Madonna. I had no idea who he was, 32 minutes later he had erupted for 30+ and I haven't forgotten the name since. Awesome player and wish him the best in his future endeavors

I think Cole was important to CCH for many, many reasons... true that he was a great leader, put up big individual numbers while always being a team first guy, took the big shot, took over a big game when he needed to the last two years when he had younger guys around him, all the winning attributes you want to see in a team leader. There is one other attribute that I think is important, though, because when Scott Ruthsatz was hired and came here from New Jersey, he brought a talented son and instantly began building a tremendous program at CCH, and part of building that program was attracting very, very talented players from Cincinnati. Not casting any aspersions here, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I just think it is easier for the CovCath faithful (like every other school) to stay behind a program when there is a traditional connection, and Cole provided that. For four years he was the link to CovCath tradition as it transitioned into a powerhouse of state and even national prominence. There are other "traditional" CCH players in the program now who are special athletes, but I believe it has helped keep the CCH community actively supportive of the program because Cole, a CCH "legacy", was the de facto leader of this great assembly of talent. This is my opinion, only, and I am not a CCH guy, but I think that is a very natural mindset for a fan base to have.

Congratulations on a great career Cole and good luck going forward.

• 4 weeks later...
Cole has made the Kentucky All-State team for a 4th year straight.

If so, this has to put him in a very select group. I knew he was selected to the 2nd Team his sophomore season, and the 3rd Team last year, I did not realize he was also selected his freshman year.

Cole has made the Kentucky All-State team for a 4th year straight.

Which or what All State team are you referring too? The Lexington Herald came out a bit ago. Is there another one which just came out that you are noting?

Tonight's 9th region finals loss to Cooper brought an end to a high school career that we do not see very often in NKY.

2 trips to Rupp Arena. 1 state title.

4 trips to the region finals

All-time scorer at CCH

4-year starter at place that doesn't do that very often

About 2600+ points in his career including his 8th grade year at VMA.

Multiple all-state awards

9th region POY

Too many clutch plays to list

All of that pales to the quality of a kid that he is. I'll miss seeing him on the floor and miss watching him compete.

Heckuva run, CVH.

Just wonder where he stands compared to some other great scorers in NKy?

[TABLE=width: 382]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]9th Grade Year[/TD]

[TD]380[/TD]

[TD]Covington Catholic[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]10th Grade Year[/TD]

[TD]674[/TD]

[TD]Covington Catholic[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]