November 30, 20169 yr Was listening to Clay Travis this morning and someone wrote in with the following story: White family bought a Elf on the Shelf. When they got home and opened the box, it was a black elf. Apparently the ethnicity isn't shown on the box. Would you consider the family racist if they returned it and got a white elf instead?
November 30, 20169 yr No. Same way if a black family returned a white one. It's a friggin' doll for Pete's sake. Have got no problem with just trying to match your family. BTW - Kudos to the Elf On A Shelf people for making something other than just a white elf to begin with.
November 30, 20169 yr 1) Clay Travis is outstanding. 2) What channel is he on up this way? And, no, the family isn't racist IMO.
November 30, 20169 yr It doesn't bother me that they returned it but IMO they are missing out on a teachable moment. I used to buy my daughter all kinds of different Barbies - black, white, short, tall, afro hair, brunette, etc... - not just the blonde blue eyed one. Why? Because everyone she meets as she goes through life is going to be different in some way and I wanted to encourage her to embrace those differences. I wanted her to form relationships with all kinds of people - not just the ones that looked like her and her doll.
November 30, 20169 yr It doesn't bother me that they returned it but IMO they are missing out on a teachable moment. I used to buy my daughter all kinds of different Barbies - black, white, short, tall, afro hair, brunette, etc... - not just the blonde blue eyed one. Why? Because everyone she meets as she goes through life is going to be different in some way and I wanted to encourage her to embrace those differences. I wanted her to form relationships with all kinds of people - not just the ones that looked like her and her doll. This times a thousand. I don't think it makes them racist, but they sure could have used it as an opportunity to teach their kids that not everyone looks the same, and being different isn't bad. If the kids saw the elf and then it was returned, that is not good, IMO.
November 30, 20169 yr No. Same way if a black family returned a white one. It's a friggin' doll for Pete's sake. Have got no problem with just trying to match your family. BTW - Kudos to the Elf On A Shelf people for making something other than just a white elf to begin with. I hate them for making anything, regardless of color. Stupid elf on a shelf.
November 30, 20169 yr I hate them for making anything, regardless of color. Stupid elf on a shelf. Conditioning kids for a surveillance state.
November 30, 20169 yr Author 1) Clay Travis is outstanding. 2) What channel is he on up this way? And, no, the family isn't racist IMO. He is on Fox Sports Radio in the morning. 1360. He took Furman's spot.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.