Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

13th

Featured Replies

  • Author
I'll checkout the link you posted when I have a chance. But in the meantime what did I say that is incorrect? Like I mentioned before, I'm looking from a local perspective where jails are overcrowded and inmates need to be shipped out on a regular basis to keep the DOC happy. From what I can tell most jails are overcrowded. But like I said, I haven't looked at your link. Again though, what was I incorrect about?

 

Your first sentence in the post said you didn't think they were building jails to fill them and that they were building them because they were overpopulated. Then you went in to Boyd County. I stated you were incorrect based on your first sentence because nationwode they built prisons for the sole purpose to fill them and make money off of them in various ways. The documentary breaks it all down. They even spoke on how companies like JCPenney used to use prison labor(free labor) for products. Human rights violations galore.

  • Replies 67
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I thought it made a very compelling case for its argument about incarceration. It should prove thought provoking.

 

Very thought provoking.

The very fact that the prison system, just like health care, is a FOR PROFIT system, opens itself up to be rife with corruption. The fact that 25% of the world's incarcerated people are found in a country with 5% of the world's population....HOW IS THAT?

 

Just as obesity is going unchecked b/c of the money that it drives into the health care system....

 

Makes you even angrier at our Congressional members.

Reminds me again that to politicians we're all numbers to be dragged around and used as needed. This has become a powerful machine that does as it wishes.

. I'm 5 episodes deep into Jessica Jones so I can move on to Luke Cage. 10 bucks a month. Well worth it.

 

Both excellent series. Netflix is great!

Got to watch about half of this program (will finish soon) and all I got to say is if you don't break the law then you don't have to worry about "unfair" penalties. If you are a law abiding citizen, then you don't have anything to worry about. People knew about 3 strikes, yet they continued to defy the laws. After 1 strike, I think I would be scared as hell, but these law breakers continued down the road to perdition. At what point do we hold people accountable for their actions? I actually know people who smoke weed and justify it by convincing themselves that it should NOT be a crime. I just laugh at them.

I had a friend who watched it and said it shook him to the core. Very powerful.

 

I hope to watch it in the next couple of days.

Watched it this week.

 

I can't believe the influence of ALEC. Maybe I've had my head in the sand but that (and the whole doc, really) was shockingly sad.

Just signed up for Netflix. Will be watching this in the next couple of days.

Got to watch about half of this program (will finish soon) and all I got to say is if you don't break the law then you don't have to worry about "unfair" penalties. If you are a law abiding citizen, then you don't have anything to worry about. People knew about 3 strikes, yet they continued to defy the laws. After 1 strike, I think I would be scared as hell, but these law breakers continued down the road to perdition. At what point do we hold people accountable for their actions? I actually know people who smoke weed and justify it by convincing themselves that it should NOT be a crime. I just laugh at them.

 

You've missed the point. Nobody is saying that if you break the law you shouldn't be punished. The point is that they system of punishment SHOULD be CORRECTIONAL, it is not. It has become big business and, like most big business, thrives off of repeat customers.

 

So, how do you get repeat customers??? One way is to slant the market. Funnel people towards prisons. Are many sentences necessary? Are there other ways punish without incarceration? Maybe, who knows? What we do know is that the system needs to fill cells, so the conflict of interest causes the prison system to bastardize what it is truly intended for. Why strive for rehabbing criminals when you get more money each time they come back?

 

The often cited statistic on here should give you pause over whether the current system works. 5% of the world's population has 25% of the world's prisoners. Has crime decreased? Not really. Does going to jail basically guarantee that you will have a difficult time finding consistent employment? For many people it does. Poverty leads to crime, however, crime leads to money for those groups who own prisons. Where is the incentive for change?

The very fact that the prison system, just like health care, is a FOR PROFIT system, opens itself up to be rife with corruption. The fact that 25% of the world's incarcerated people are found in a country with 5% of the world's population....HOW IS THAT?

 

Just as obesity is going unchecked b/c of the money that it drives into the health care system....

 

Makes you even angrier at our Congressional members.

 

I don't think that is possible for me at this point...and that goes for both parties...

  • Author
That is VERY sad, to say the least......how in the world does one stay in prison for 3 years solely on an accusation?

 

I got a little in my feelings then. Really misty eyed after hearing his story. I couldn't imagine. And not only an accusation, a false accusation and he sat in jail for 3 years waiting for his fair trial. Unreal.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.