Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

13th

Featured Replies

On my list.

 

Does the doc get into the issue of the need to fill jails that keep getting built?

 

I don't think they are building more jails and prisons then attempting to find a way to fill them. They are building more jails and prisons because most of them are overpopulated. If you look at Boyd County for instance, the DOC has an office in the jail now, to monitor the number of inmates and start shipping them to other jails around the state that have room. Not too many years ago BCDC was running at double capacity on a regular basis. So honestly, I don't think there is a need to find ways to fill jails or prisons.

  • Replies 67
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think they are building more jails and prisons then attempting to find a way to fill them. They are building more jails and prisons because most of them are overpopulated. If you look at Boyd County for instance, the DOC has an office in the jail now, to monitor the number of inmates and start shipping them to other jails around the state that have room. Not too many years ago BCDC was running at double capacity on a regular basis. So honestly, I don't think there is a need to find ways to fill jails or prisons.

 

You would be incorrect.

 

Jails are now being sought by elected officials who can then offer jobs. Some/many of these are privately-owned jails/prisons. Many have language in their agreement that says the jail must be filled at X% (high 90s, for example) OR the state/locale has to pay a fee.

 

So there's no incentive for sentencing reform. Just the opposite. Find us more prisoners.

You would be incorrect.

 

Jails are now being sought by elected officials who can then offer jobs. Some/many of these are privately-owned jails/prisons. Many have language in their agreement that says the jail must be filled at X% (high 90s, for example) OR the state/locale has to pay a fee.

 

So there's no incentive for sentencing reform. Just the opposite. Find us more prisoners.

 

Have a link to that information? I'm curious how this differs from the area I live in. I'm just speaking from personal knowledge of the situation locally. Basically, there isn't enough room, anyone with a minor charge is being sent home with a court date. So while I don't doubt that what your saying may be true, I'm curious to hear more about it, as there are no private jails in my area and there certainly isn't a need to fill the existing jails up. I doubt you could find a jail in this area this isn't at max capacity, unless you start looking into the more rural areas.

 

As far as the sentencing reform, it's also the opposite here. People are being placed on probation rather than sentenced to jail or prison more often than not, unless they are habitual offenders for the same crime. Giving plea deals to get people out of jail and into a drug rehab program seems to be the norm in my area. That could also be political, but it's also being used to reduce the overcrowded jail population.

Privately owned (corporate) jails are a bad bad idea.

Without looking I will assume that the major crime committed is drug possession. Not trafficking but simple possession.

 

The great 'war on drugs'.

  • Author
I don't think they are building more jails and prisons then attempting to find a way to fill them. They are building more jails and prisons because most of them are overpopulated. If you look at Boyd County for instance, the DOC has an office in the jail now, to monitor the number of inmates and start shipping them to other jails around the state that have room. Not too many years ago BCDC was running at double capacity on a regular basis. So honestly, I don't think there is a need to find ways to fill jails or prisons.

 

Incorrect. Especially when there are people profiting off of these jails that make the sentencing laws for crimes.

 

The documentary breaks this all down. Ever heard of ALEC?

 

 

American Legislative Exchange Council

  • Author
Without looking I will assume that the major crime committed is drug possession. Not trafficking but simple possession.

 

The great 'war on drugs'.

 

They talked about this and they spoke on John Ehrlichman's admission about the true purpose of the War on Drugs.

I don't have Netflix. Is there any other way to watch this?

  • Author
I don't have Netflix. Is there any other way to watch this?

 

I don't think so. I'd only heard of it on Netflix and I assume it was produced specifically for Netflix.

  • Author
I don't have Netflix. Is there any other way to watch this?

 

 

 

You should look into it. 10 bucks a month and their original programming is excellent. I'm 5 episodes deep into Jessica Jones so I can move on to Luke Cage. 10 bucks a month. Well worth it.

You should look into it. 10 bucks a month and their original programming is excellent. I'm 5 episodes deep into Jessica Jones so I can move on to Luke Cage. 10 bucks a month. Well worth it.

My wife has talked about it. Might just have to.

I thought it made a very compelling case for its argument about incarceration. It should prove thought provoking.

I don't have Netflix. Is there any other way to watch this?

 

Kodi should have it somewhere.

Incorrect. Especially when there are people profiting off of these jails that make the sentencing laws for crimes.

 

The documentary breaks this all down. Ever heard of ALEC?

 

 

American Legislative Exchange Council

 

I'll checkout the link you posted when I have a chance. But in the meantime what did I say that is incorrect? Like I mentioned before, I'm looking from a local perspective where jails are overcrowded and inmates need to be shipped out on a regular basis to keep the DOC happy. From what I can tell most jails are overcrowded. But like I said, I haven't looked at your link. Again though, what was I incorrect about?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.