Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

13th

Featured Replies

1 out of every 3 black men will spend their lifetime in prison.

 

Black men account for 6.5% of the US population.

 

Black men account for 40.2% of the prison population.

 

That's pretty insane. Is it fair to say most of this comes from the inner cities and lack of education/good schools ect? Did they dive a little deeper into those numbers? I think that is where the problem starts. A number of things at play here, including the racism angle obviously.

 

I'll add it to my watch list.

  • Replies 67
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
That's pretty insane. Is it fair to say most of this comes from the inner cities and lack of education/good schools ect? Did they dive a little deeper into those numbers? I think that is where the problem starts. A number of things at play here, including the racism angle obviously.

 

I'll add it to my watch list.

 

Oh yeah. They dove really deep into the numbers and why they are like they are.

I'll check it out. I am a bit skeptical whether they mean that 1 out of every 3 black men will spend time in prison, or jail. Sometimes people get the two confused, I'm not saying that you are, but I'd like to figure out where the documentary got that number and whether it is in fact referring to time in prison (usually a year or more) or time in jail, which could be spending a few hours in the drunk tank.

I'll check it out. I am a bit skeptical whether they mean that 1 out of every 3 black men will spend time in prison, or jail. Sometimes people get the two confused, I'm not saying that you are, but I'd like to figure out where the documentary got that number and whether it is in fact referring to time in prison (usually a year or more) or time in jail, which could be spending a few hours in the drunk tank.

 

That's a very good question.

  • Author
I'll check it out. I am a bit skeptical whether they mean that 1 out of every 3 black men will spend time in prison, or jail. Sometimes people get the two confused, I'm not saying that you are, but I'd like to figure out where the documentary got that number and whether it is in fact referring to time in prison (usually a year or more) or time in jail, which could be spending a few hours in the drunk tank.

 

I just went to the spot on the documentary where they said those numbers.

 

It read:

 

Lifetime likelihood of imprisonment

 

Black Men

 

1 of 3

 

The person they were interviewing then said, "1 out of every 3 black males is expected to go to jail or prison. Which is an unbelievably shocking statistic."

I just went to the spot on the documentary where they said those numbers.

 

It read:

 

Lifetime likelihood of imprisonment

 

Black Men

 

1 of 3

 

The person they were interviewing then said, "1 out of every 3 black males is expected to go to jail or prison. Which is an unbelievably shocking statistic."

 

While that's still a high number, it does make a bit more sense now. People can be taken to jail for minor infractions and spend little time there, in some cases being found not guilty or charges being dropped completely. Going to prison is a completely different story, meaning you were convicted of a crime that generally warrants 1 year or more of "imprisonment."

 

I was spent the night in jail once for a DUI I did not commit. Officer put out a BOLO for my vehicle and I was tracked down walking to my apartment after leaving a Wendy's in Ashland. Long story short, the officer was at my apartment earlier in the evening due to a break in, in which my ps3 was stolen. We didn't see eye to eye in how he wanted to handle the investigation as he said there wasn't much they could do other than check the pawn shops if I had the serial number recorded. When I mentioned possibly checking the security cameras from the hospital parking lot across the street, he dismissed that idea claiming that they were not pointed toward my building. So after being arrested for DUI, I contacted an attorney who subpoena'd the security video from the hospital which clearly showed me getting out of the passenger side of the car and my girlfriend (at the time) getting out of the driver side, she was sober by the way. Once prosecution got a look at the video the day prior to jury selection, they dropped the charge, with the stipulation that I would not sue the police department for harassment. Outside of the headache, everything turned out okay, but my point is that a lot of people have spent time in jail, whether it be a few hours or weeks. Prison on the other hand is a different story, you don't go there unless you were actually convicted of something.

  • Author
While that's still a high number, it does make a bit more sense now. People can be taken to jail for minor infractions and spend little time there, in some cases being found not guilty or charges being dropped completely. Going to prison is a completely different story, meaning you were convicted of a crime that generally warrants 1 year or more of "imprisonment."

 

I was spent the night in jail once for a DUI I did not commit. Officer put out a BOLO for my vehicle and I was tracked down walking to my apartment after leaving a Wendy's in Ashland. Long story short, the officer was at my apartment earlier in the evening due to a break in, in which my ps3 was stolen. We didn't see eye to eye in how he wanted to handle the investigation as he said there wasn't much they could do other than check the pawn shops if I had the serial number recorded. When I mentioned possibly checking the security cameras from the hospital parking lot across the street, he dismissed that idea claiming that they were not pointed toward my building. So after being arrested for DUI, I contacted an attorney who subpoena'd the security video from the hospital which clearly showed me getting out of the passenger side of the car and my girlfriend (at the time) getting out of the driver side, she was sober by the way. Once prosecution got a look at the video the day prior to jury selection, they dropped the charge, with the stipulation that I would not sue the police department for harassment. Outside of the headache, everything turned out okay, but my point is that a lot of people have spent time in jail, whether it be a few hours or weeks. Prison on the other hand is a different story, you don't go there unless you were actually convicted of something.

 

You should check out the Kalief Browder story.

1 out of 3 young black males will spend some time of their life in prison.

 

1 out of 17 young white males will spend some time of their life in prison.

 

When statistics like these are put out there, questions swirl through my head.

 

In a group of thirty black males will ten of them spend time in prison or will one of them go 10 times?

 

Are we talking about prison? Or a night in the county jail?

 

I need to watch this. Does the documentary insinuate that young black males are simply being rounded up and locked away? Or are they breaking the law?

 

Does the documentary simply define a problem or suggest solutions?

 

Guess i'd better watch.

  • Author
When statistics like these are put out there, questions swirl through my head.

 

In a group of thirty black males will ten of them spend time in prison or will one of them go 10 times?

 

Are we talking about prison? Or a night in the county jail?

 

I need to watch this. Does the documentary insinuate that young black males are simply being rounded up and locked away? Or are they breaking the law?

 

Does the documentary simply define a problem or suggest solutions?

 

Guess i'd better watch.

 

The documentary breaks it down to the very last compound. I was impressed with the statistical information and how they researched and spoke on how things have gotten to be how they are.

You should check out the Kalief Browder story.

 

I'll check out the Browder story, I'm also going to check out the netflix documentary as soon as possible. I won't know more about either until I get a chance to check them out. I was just curious about the figures mentioned earlier and other information from the stories. It's easy to make numbers misleading if you have an agenda, which is why I'm always skeptical about documentaries like this.

No, 1 in 3 black men are not criminals.

 

But are 1 in 3 black men criminals or bad guys in a place like inner city Detroit or Chicago?

 

No.

On my list.

 

Does the doc get into the issue of the need to fill jails that keep getting built?

  • Author
On my list.

 

Does the doc get into the issue of the need to fill jails that keep getting built?

 

Yes. It even goes into their plans for these jails if they get to a point that they can no longer fill them with criminals. They will fill them with immigrants.

  • Author
I'll check out the Browder story, I'm also going to check out the netflix documentary as soon as possible. I won't know more about either until I get a chance to check them out. I was just curious about the figures mentioned earlier and other information from the stories. It's easy to make numbers misleading if you have an agenda, which is why I'm always skeptical about documentaries like this.

 

The documentary goes deep into the numbers for you.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.