Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Are We Addicted to the Internet?

Featured Replies

Andrew Sullivan: My Distraction Sickness — and Yours

 

Addicted to Your iPhone? You’re Not Alone - The Atlantic

 

I read these this week and noted similar sentiments expressed by two distinct writers. I definitely understand what they're talking about. I check my phone impulsively. I scan my web browser impulsively as well. When I signed off of Facebook for good one of the first things I noticed is how often I would habitually and unconsciously direct my cursor to where the bookmark used to be. I'll check my phone intermittently when I read as well and for no other purpose than habit.

 

None of this can be good. :lol2: I think it's time to detach a little bit.

Yep...I see it in myself and others everyday. It is getting worse and worse every year.

We can't detach if we aspire to inhabit Mars. That would be counterproductive.

No shame in admitting I definitely am.

 

That doesn't mean I don't know how to interact with people or have a real conversation. I didn't start being absorbed by technology until well into high school.

Yes, and it disturbs me. I'll stay up late just to run through several hours of my Twitter feed in order to get caught up.

For me the internet has been a blessing.

 

I've lived alone now for 30 years, and my younger days were often consumed by a non-stop social life of having friends over to party, play music, watch movies, jam on my guitar, or running around with friends looking for the party, concert, bar, restaurant, record shop, movie, dating, sporting event etc...,but now in my 50's the dynamics of how I live have changed and slowed down dramatically, and while the constant jam of my stereo or my TV used to fit the bill when at home alone, having the variety of things to read and entertain myself on the net keeps me from severe boredom.

 

No doubt I'm addicted to it, but I seriously don't know what I'd be doing other than twiddling my thumbs if I didn't have the endless vastness of the internet to occupy my time, and for that I am truly thankful.

 

I've not yet become a phone fanatic, so I can easily turn it off when I'm out, and I do regularly get out to exercise with a limited bit of socializing, and when I do it's my necessary break from technology, and thankfully I do fine with it without any sense of withdrawal. You will rarely see me touching my phone, and absolutely not while driving.

Yes I am, I'll be sitting on the couch sometimes just looking at it as a habit while my kid is playing. Makes me feel guilty as hell. I make it a point to try and NOT do that as much as possible.

Absolutely.

 

Find myself a good half dozen times a day picking up my phone and opening some app only to remember I literally checked that same app less than 5 minutes ago.

I'm tethered to it because of work. But I can check out for several hours and not even think about it when I want/need to.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.