Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Bumgarner the best playoff pitcher ever?

Featured Replies

Right. :rolleyes:

 

Let's say we're playing basketball against each other.

 

I'm guarding you and I'm telling you you have no chance of scoring against me. I'm telling you that the coach needs to bring someone else in because you can't play. I'm telling you that I'm gong to make your mom cry because of how bad I'm going to beat embarrass you. That's yapping/trash talking like Ali, MJ, Bird, Kobe, etc. That's normal and expected.

 

The line would get crossed if while walking off the floor after your team has beaten mine and you then come up and tell us how bad I/we sucked. Or after I miss a layup and am running back down the floor you run up and make a big spectacle out of it. That's getting you punched and that's where Bumgarner often lives.

 

Now, I don't expect you to see a difference in my examples so I'm not looking for a response. I'm just pointing out that those that play in that trash-talking arena (which you don't) know the difference.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ali's was all part of his showmanship.

Let's say we're playing basketball against each other.

 

I'm guarding you and I'm telling you you have no chance of scoring against me. I'm telling you that the coach needs to bring someone else in because you can't play. I'm telling you that I'm gong to make your mom cry because of how bad I'm going to beat embarrass you. That's yapping/trash talking like Ali, MJ, Bird, Kobe, etc. That's normal and expected.

 

The line would get crossed if while walking off the floor after your team has beaten mine and you then come up and tell us how bad I/we sucked. Or after I miss a layup and am running back down the floor you run up and make a big spectacle out of it. That's getting you punched and that's where Bumgarner often lives.

 

Now, I don't expect you to see a difference in my examples so I'm not looking for a response. I'm just pointing out that those that play in that trash-talking arena (which you don't) know the difference.

 

:lol2: There's the typical "you don't get it" post from Clyde...

Ali's was all part of his showmanship.

 

Absolutely agree. He talked the talk and walked the walk. Bumgarner does the same. He gets you out, he lets you know you can't hang with him. Ali knocked you out and let you know it wasn't a fluke. Zero difference.

:lol2: There's the typical "you don't get it" post from Clyde...

 

Not sure about "typical" but it surely applies here and , again, I'm not being critical. It's just not a world you have experience in. It would be like you telling me about why Pats fans think a certain way. I can generalize that Pats fans should think like every other team's fans but I'm not in that world or from that area so I'd be generalizing without any real basis at which point you could tell me "you don't get it."

Not sure about "typical" but it surely applies here and , again, I'm not being critical. It's just not a world you have experience in. It would be like you telling me about why Pats fans think a certain way. I can generalize that Pats fans should think like every other team's fans but I'm not in that world or from that area so I'd be generalizing without any real basis at which point you could tell me "you don't get it."

 

No offense to you, but the bolded is just ignorant.

Whitey Ford was pretty effective in the Series as I recall......no other post-season in those days.

How can one dislike Bumgarner?

Pretty easy when someone acts like a jerk.

Pretty easy when someone acts like a jerk.
It's not an act.
  • Author
That George Herman Ruth fella wasn't too shabby...

 

What are his career playoff numbers?

That George Herman Ruth fella wasn't too shabby...
What are his career playoff numbers?

 

They only played the World Series back in his day. He pitched in 2 of them, 1916 and 1918. @mcpapa attended both series.

 

The Babe was 3-0 in World Series starts with an ERA of 0.87 in 31 innings of work.

 

In his 1916 WS win, he gave up a run in the 1st, then shutout Brooklyn for the next 13 innings for a 14 inning complete game win. Ruth also knocked in the tying run in the 3rd.

 

In 1918, Babe pitched a 6 hit shutout of the Cubbies in Game 1. In Game 4, Ruth pitched 7 more shutout innings before giving up 2 runs in the 8th, ending his WS scoreless innings streak at 29 2/3. That record stood until 1962 and is still #2 behind Whitey Ford's 33 2/3 innings.

I think Smoltz gets over looked bc his teams went 1-4 in World Series. They go 2-3 and I believe he'd be top three easy. Certainly the advent of the NLCS/ALCS and then the addition of the wild card helps or hurts guys reputations.

Edited by Jackie Ed
Typo

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.