Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ECU: Marching Pirates protests will not be tolerated moving forward

Featured Replies

I don't think it even needs to be in their handbook. They are saying...from this point forward, don't do it again. And they better not or they're out of the band.

 

It absolutely needs to be in the handbook. You can't just make up rules and not document them and expect no backlash when someone gets kicked out.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It absolutely needs to be in the handbook. You can't just make up rules and not document them and expect no backlash when someone gets kicked out.

 

I view it as a team sport and the coach is saying "don't do this again." If they do it again, they should be punished heavily.

 

Just like any other rules violation. These are college students and they are governed by their coaches and administration. They can't just go do whatever they please.

That's all well and good. Band is a class, so that would equate to not turning in an assignment.

 

I would equate the band members not playing the national anthem to football players choosing not to play the first quarter.

I view it as a team sport and the coach is saying "don't do this again." If they do it again, they should be punished heavily.

 

Just like any other rules violation. These are college students and they are governed by their coaches and administration. They can't just go do whatever they please.

 

I agree 100% they can't do whatever they please.

 

Coaches have team rules, and I'm sure handbooks of some sort. Coaches and Administrations can't just go around making up rules with no documentation and kicking people out because they did something controversial. If you kick one kid out because he kneels, do you kick the kid out who raises a fist? Why or why not? What actions warrant getting kicked out? That stuff has to be documented, you can't just go at it on the fly. Put it on paper, make them sign it, then if they break the rules give them the boot. Simple.

I would equate the band members not playing the national anthem to football players choosing not to play the first quarter.

 

It would be more like the football players not hustling on one play, IMO.

 

A game day is a huge body of work, one that very few have a true understanding of.

I am one that doesn't like this stance to make a point. However, they do have the right. These are college kids, most of us would probably do anything that was different and attention seeking during those years.

 

The ages 19-23 are the most experimental time in most people's lives. I am shocked only a few did it. I would have thought many more.

 

Would Pitino or Calipari revoke a scholly or kick them off the team for sitting out a play or walking off the floor. Doubtful! They may punish them, not positive of even that.

I agree 100% they can't do whatever they please.

 

Coaches have team rules, and I'm sure handbooks of some sort. Coaches and Administrations can't just go around making up rules with no documentation and kicking people out because they did something controversial. If you kick one kid out because he kneels, do you kick the kid out who raises a fist? Why or why not? What actions warrant getting kicked out? That stuff has to be documented, you can't just go at it on the fly. Put it on paper, make them sign it, then if they break the rules give them the boot. Simple.

 

To be fair to the band directors, how many thought at the beginning of the year they would have members refusing to stand and some refusing to play their instruments?

 

If I was the director I would tell the ones who will be protesting today to sit quietly in the stands in street cloths.

 

If it's an away game, just stay here, your not to get on the bus and make the trip.

To be fair to the band directors, how many thought at the beginning of the year they would have members refusing to stand and some refusing to play their instruments?

 

If I was the director I would tell the ones who will be protesting today to sit quietly in the stands in street cloths.

 

If it's an away game, just stay here, your not to get on the bus and make the trip.

 

They can still make the students sign something acknowledging that they understand the rule "changes." Not that hard to do.

They can still make the students sign something acknowledging that they understand the rule "changes." Not that hard to do.

 

Sure, I would rush that paper out asap.

 

I'm just saying these poor band directors would have never imagined this happening I'm guessing.

Notice when Chancellor spoke on Saturday, he was conciliatory to the band members who knelt. He responded to the fans on Saturday.

 

The donors spoke on Sunday. Monday, the email was sent with a rather different message.

ECU plays here Saturday. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, the Herd of Thunder will do during the National Anthem.

 

1st off, it's home coming.

 

2nd, HOT has been lobbying donations to finance their New Year's Day Parade appearance in Rome. There are 370 members this year. Last I checked, they were well short of their desired monetary goal.

Notice when Chancellor spoke on Saturday, he was conciliatory to the band members who knelt. He responded to the fans on Saturday.

 

The donors spoke on Sunday. Monday, the email was sent with a rather different message.

 

 

He went from "civil discourse is an ECU value" to "not allowed" in a few days.

I am one that doesn't like this stance to make a point. However, they do have the right. These are college kids, most of us would probably do anything that was different and attention seeking during those years.

 

The ages 19-23 are the most experimental time in most people's lives. I am shocked only a few did it. I would have thought many more.

 

Would Pitino or Calipari revoke a scholly or kick them off the team for sitting out a play or walking off the floor. Doubtful! They may punish them, not positive of even that.

I think this is quite a bit different than just attention seeking. It's disrespecting our values as a country. Don't like it, take a hike and we will give the scholarship to someone who will appreciate it. Contrary to popular belief, it's not a time for experimenting it's a time for learning and growing up to act like adults.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.