Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ECU: Marching Pirates protests will not be tolerated moving forward

Featured Replies

  • Replies 48
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this is quite a bit different than just attention seeking. It's disrespecting our values as a country. Don't like it, take a hike and we will give the scholarship to someone who will appreciate it. Contrary to popular belief, it's not a time for experimenting it's a time for learning and growing up to act like adults.

 

If you believe that blacks are treated unfairly and the old fashioned way of expressing that has , in your mind, gotten no where then what do you want them to do? The only reason we are where we are now as far as a conversation goes is because of these types of civil disobedience. You can't complain about BLM tactics and use it as an excuse to not discuss the situation and THEN turn around and blast those who take a more civil approach. You're essentially saying "shut the hell up."

If you believe that blacks are treated unfairly and the old fashioned way of expressing that has , in your mind, gotten no where then what do you want them to do? The only reason we are where we are now as far as a conversation goes is because of these types of civil disobedience. You can't complain about BLM tactics and use it as an excuse to not discuss the situation and THEN turn around and blast those who take a more civil approach. You're essentially saying "shut the hell up."

 

I agree with most of this. BUT, is this really causing a discussion on the reasons of the protest? Or is the protest causing a whole new discussion on the disrespect of the flag and country. I don't hear many people saying let's have a discussion about the underlying issues. I hear people either agree with the protest or "shut the hell up".

I agree with most of this. BUT, is this really causing a discussion on the reasons of the protest? Or is the protest causing a whole new discussion on the disrespect of the flag and country. I don't hear many people saying let's have a discussion about the underlying issues. I hear people either agree with the protest or "shut the hell up".

 

From the beginning too many have been focused on the HOW and ignoring the WHY.

 

They are saying we won't have a discussion because of how you protest. Easy out.

I am one that doesn't like this stance to make a point. However, they do have the right. These are college kids, most of us would probably do anything that was different and attention seeking during those years.

 

The ages 19-23 are the most experimental time in most people's lives. I am shocked only a few did it. I would have thought many more.

 

Would Pitino or Calipari revoke a scholly or kick them off the team for sitting out a play or walking off the floor. Doubtful! They may punish them, not positive of even that.

 

No way Calipari punishes any player who chooses to protest and I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall when he has private conversations with them telling them why it would be in their best interest to not protest. That man is not stupid.

There is a spirited debate going on about this in thebullspen. I don't know how long Brad will leave it in the sports forum, but it's up to 12 pages, now.

 

Interesting twist to Saturday - South Florida Bulls Athletics Main Board - TheBullsPen.com

 

Moved to Mad Cow. That is loosely the equivalent to this forum (Controversial Issues). You have to submit a request to get into it.

No way Calipari punishes any player who chooses to protest and I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall when he has private conversations with them telling them why it would be in their best interest to not protest. That man is not stupid.

 

Not only that but there are a lot of UK fans that will eat their shoe if one of their players protests. I bet they don't call for their scholarships to be pulled.

Not only that but there are a lot of UK fans that will eat their shoe if one of their players protests. I bet they don't call for their scholarships to be pulled.

 

Depends on who it is. :lol2: :lol2:

If you believe that blacks are treated unfairly and the old fashioned way of expressing that has , in your mind, gotten no where then what do you want them to do? The only reason we are where we are now as far as a conversation goes is because of these types of civil disobedience. You can't complain about BLM tactics and use it as an excuse to not discuss the situation and THEN turn around and blast those who take a more civil approach. You're essentially saying "shut the hell up."

 

My point is that disrespecting the anthem and flag are not bringing support to their legitimate complaint. It's not right for anyone to not be treated equally on any level. And I'm not saying shut up. I'm just saying you need to do your job. I live in a rural area and had no idea blacks had this problem. My parents always backed up the teachers, coaches, referees and law enforcement. We talked to our sons when they started driving but they both have a family gene for the need for speed. We told them to do exactly what the officer ordered. We knew most of them because we were on the towing list for local and state police, needless to say we heard about our boys. One trooper said you have great sons they just drive too dam fast. But never was it a worry that they could be in another kind of danger. I don't know the answer but I do think poor schools, low wages, and drugs are part of the problem. Maybe stronger mentors or parents or teachers and law officers who are more respected, who can reach them. It has to start with education for these young people. As a country we must get our act together on this. We must not stay divided.

I agree with most of this. BUT, is this really causing a discussion on the reasons of the protest? Or is the protest causing a whole new discussion on the disrespect of the flag and country. I don't hear many people saying let's have a discussion about the underlying issues. I hear people either agree with the protest or "shut the hell up".

 

And there's the rub. It's uncomfortable talking about the problem(s). It's easier to say, "Stop taking attention away from my football game".

My point is that disrespecting the anthem and flag are not bringing support to their legitimate complaint. It's not right for anyone to not be treated equally on any level. And I'm not saying shut up. I'm just saying you need to do your job. I live in a rural area and had no idea blacks had this problem. My parents always backed up the teachers, coaches, referees and law enforcement. We talked to our sons when they started driving but they both have a family gene for the need for speed. We told them to do exactly what the officer ordered. We knew most of them because we were on the towing list for local and state police, needless to say we heard about our boys. One trooper said you have great sons they just drive too dam fast. But never was it a worry that they could be in another kind of danger. I don't know the answer but I do think poor schools, low wages, and drugs are part of the problem. Maybe stronger mentors or parents or teachers and law officers who are more respected, who can reach them. It has to start with education for these young people. As a country we must get our act together on this. We must not stay divided.

 

Your original post said they cannot protest while being in the band despite it being harmless. That by itself tells me that you're more worried about perception of respect than the reality of the situation for too many.

 

You are saying "shut up" when you say "just do your job." It's code for "shut up." It allows you to avoid the root cause.

 

I can't imagine what world you could possibly live in and not realize that blacks are discriminated against. You simply are so far removed from reality (despite seemingly good intentions) that it's tough to have an educated discussion.

Look, I did not know blacks had such a fear of police. How could I know that, I lived and worked in a rural area. I have been pretty much homebound due to health. My grandchildren go to school and also have friends who are black and come to their homes and also mine. My niece has been in a biracial marriage for about 20 years with children. At family get togethers she has never mentioned this one time. And we have a lot of discussions. But I will seek her out in private for a conversation. I know that discrimination happens, I just never realized it had come to this. I have become more aware since I got the internet in April of 2015. I am a good person and I am not in Lala land as you said. And your posts were disrespectful to me. And as for my original post. I said I don't like for my flag, my country and the national anthem to be disrespected. That does not make me racist.

Edited by Sportsaholic Mamaw

And there's the rub. It's uncomfortable talking about the problem(s). It's easier to say, "Stop taking attention away from my football game".
But now this has become a subject everyone's aware of because of the protests and a countrywide conversation must be started. It has nothing to do with football or being patriotic but it has to be resolved if we want a country. McPapa you are the wise one, how say you for conversations and solutions?
Look, I did not know blacks had such a fear of police. How could I know that, I lived and worked in a rural area. I have been pretty much homebound due to health. My grandchildren go to school and also have friends who are black and come to their homes and also mine. My niece has been in a biracial marriage for about 20 years with children. At family get togethers she has never mentioned this one time. And we have a lot of discussions. But I will seek her out in private for a conversation. I know that discrimination happens, I just never realized it had come to this. I have become more aware since I got the internet in April of 2015. I am a good person and I am not in Lala land as you said. And your posts were disrespectful to me. And as for my original post. I said I don't like for my flag, my country and the national anthem to be disrespected. That does not make me racist.

 

 

I never said nor implied that you were racist. Not sure where you got that.

 

You obviously have access to internet and I'm assuming TV so you'll understand why I am stunned you are not aware of the MAJOR issue for black America in the last few months/years.

 

My point is if your ignorance (literal definition and not a pejorative) is such that you're that unaware then IMO it's going to be really hard to have an intelligent debate. That's not a "shot" or a criticism. That's just where you're at.

But now this has become a subject everyone's aware of because of the protests and a countrywide conversation must be started. It has nothing to do with football or being patriotic but it has to be resolved if we want a country. McPapa you are the wise one, how say you for conversations and solutions?

 

I've said it before. It starts at home.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.