Marlins Pitcher Jose Fernandez dies in boating accident

NKYknowitall

For our boating experts, what is top speed for a boat of that size?

Wasn't this his friends' boat? Tweet makes me think he was blowing off steam behind the wheel.

It was his boat. It was named Kaught Looking with a backwards K. The article that I read said that it was a fishing boat with a top speed of around 65mph.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 7m7 minutes ago

Sobbing #Marlins OF Marcell Ozuna told Miami Herald he was invited by Jose Fernandez to join him on his boat that evening, but declined.

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 5m5 minutes ago

Ozuna to Miami Herald:“That night I told him, ‘Don’t go out.' Everybody knew he was crazy about that boat and loved being out on the water.'

• 1 month later...

I was literally just where he wrecked. It's not as dim as the press would make it out. And anyone who can read GPS could have made it in if they were in any condition to read it. I hate what happened, and that his actions cost the lives of others as well. Mess with the bull, sometimes you get the horns. Wish it had been different.

What concerns me is not the alcohol BUT that he had cocaine in his system. He was scheduled to pitch Monday.

A major league baseball player under the guise of drug testing etc dies tragically and suddenly. This obviously wasn't his first rodeo with cocaine. How is it that he can get away with this???

If he can, how many others also do. I suspect plenty. How prevalent is drug use in MLB??? How good is their drug testing??? If Fernandez can skirt the tests, so can others, and I suspect do.

What concerns me is not the alcohol BUT that he had cocaine in his system. He was scheduled to pitch Monday.

A major league baseball player under the guise of drug testing etc dies tragically and suddenly. This obviously wasn't his first rodeo with cocaine. How is it that he can get away with this???

If he can, how many others also do. I suspect plenty. How prevalent is drug use in MLB??? How good is their drug testing??? If Fernandez can skirt the tests, so can others, and I suspect do.

Baseball doesn't test for drugs like cocaine, weed, meth, ect randomly. They only test for it if you are suspected of using.

Are there any regrets retiring the jersey due to the new circumstances of drugs and alcohol being involved? Shame to lose a man at such a young age with so much potential. Not a great message to the youth and yet a great reminder to all about the dangers of drugs and alcohol.

I'm OK with it, thoughts?