Marlins Pitcher Jose Fernandez dies in boating accident

NKYknowitall

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rays were supposed to have a ceremony honoring David Ortiz before his last game in Tampa today. Ortiz was friends with Fernandez and requested that the ceremony be canceled. The c Rays presented him with the gifts in private instead. The Rays had a moment of silence in honor of Fernandez before the game and Ortiz was visibly crying at his loss. Such a sad situation.

Tearful David Ortiz Observes Rays’ Moment Of Silence For Jose Fernandez | Boston Red Sox | NESN.com

They will probably have something at Alonzo High, tomorrow. Fernandez led the Ravens to 2 state titles and was the pride and joy of the 15 year old high school. He wore number 16 there, too, and it was retired 2014. My oldest niece was in the class ahead of him, there.

Absolutely a terrible tragedy. I really wonder if he would've ever been on that boat if his start wasn't bumped. Obviously nobody will know and not implicating blame, but just adds to questions I know his family, friends, teammates and acquaintances must have.

Gone far too soon.

I'm sure that will weigh on the coaches minds.