Is Tom Brady just a (really good) "system" QB?

Jim Schue

I think it is all about the system in the NFL.

Scott Mitchell filled in at Miami and took them to the promised land only to flop in Detroit the next year.

San Fran Montana to Young transition was flawless.

Denver used to produce running backs only to spit them out after their rookie of the year campaign for a new kid so they didn't have to pay the outrageous contracts.

I will say a good offensive line goes a long way to the success of the team.

I've always felt like saying a guy was a "system QB" was a diss...

Do people mean he would only be a good QB in that one particular system? If so, that is asinine. He's the best QB in the league, and arguably the best in this generation. He would excel on ANY team with a competent offensive line, regardless of the system.

Now if you mean he wouldn't be successful on the Browns, well, yeah. Nobody has ever been successful on the Browns.

Houston could prepare for three weeks straight and they weren't going to be ready for what the Patriots rolled out last night.

Tom Brady is a great QB, one of the best ever, and the start the Patriots have should not take away from that. What it should do is only cement how great the coaching staff and how great of an organization the New England Patriots have.

Houston could prepare for three weeks straight and they weren't going to be ready for what the Patriots rolled out last night.

Tom Brady is a great QB, one of the best ever, and the start the Patriots have should not take away from that. What it should do is only cement how great the coaching staff and how great of an organization the New England Patriots have.

image.jpeg

This came up a few years back when he was out and they won a bunch of games without him, maybe in the 10-12 range?

Interesting question when you compare his measurable and there are others with stronger arms or quicker releases. Of course I remember the same things being said about Montana. Biggest measurable is SB wins and until a second or third string NE QB wins them that game I'll just roll my eyes.

Brady is great, is he great because of Belichick or not, will never be answered unless he goes somewhere else and has similar success.

The fact that the team never drops off without him playing does lend itself to the thinking that it is more about the coaching than the player.

Put Brady on the Cowboys for his career and they may have a title...put Romo on the Patriots and they definitely would have won a title with him at QB, maybe 2.

Brady is great, is he great because of Belichick or not, will never be answered unless he goes somewhere else and has similar success.

The fact that the team never drops off without him playing does lend itself to the thinking that it is more about the coaching than the player.

Put Brady on the Cowboys for his career and they may have a title...put Romo on the Patriots and they definitely would have won a title with him at QB, maybe 2.

There's no way of actually knowing either of those things.

When Brady is out the system changes. That's coaching. To call him a system QB, due to the success of the Pats when he's been out, is a misnomer. It's a different system when he's out.