Another Board Member fiasco, this one from Fayette County

Johnny_Utah

This has been happening for quite a while (years).

We had heard about meddling in sports at Dunbar at the board level. Football AND Basketball and other sports.

I have cited this meddling in posts about Dunbar football but did not have specifics. But those we knew who had kids in the program's indicated 'there was a problem at the board level.

Now the specifics, at least some, are in the open.

The report is interesting. I think that Bacon is correct that she has a right to express her opinions as a mother of a student separate from her role as a board member. And I also disagree philosophically with the KSBA's statement that a board member abdicates her commitment to the community at times when it conflicts with the best interests of the district. That cannot be possible. These are elected officials. If the district is acting contrary to the interests of the community, they need to be held accountable, that is WHY we elect a board. Boards are not rubber stamps for superintendents OR for school districts. This comes up every year during the 4% votes. The district will always argue that the 4% is in the best interest of the district and say "its for the children." That makes me sick to my stomach, and ONLY a board member stands in the way of that acting on behalf of her community whom elected her. Shame on the KSBA for cow-towing to the Dept. of Education. Go to bat for your girl. Cowards.