Houston 40 Cincinnati 16

swamprat

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think last year is more of the exception and not the rule. I think UC is a perennial 9-3, 10-2 team in the AAC. Probably makes them 8-4, 9-3 team in the Big XII. The Big XII is very top heavy. The middle of the pack and bottom of the Big XII is inarguably IMO the worst of the power 5 conferences.

The Big XII is leaps and bounds better than the AAC. The transition isn't going to be near as easy as you're suggesting IMO.

They've been able to hold their own in the AAC. Big XII is a whole different animal IMO. Yeah, they'll compete with the Iowa State and Kansas of the conference, but the rest? It'll be an uphill battle IMO.

I don't think they'll have to compete with Ia. St. or Kansas. I think they are simply a lot better program than those schools. I would say starting out I would say UC and Texas Tech are about on the same playing field, with UC having more growth possibilities than Texas Tech. With UC getting into a Power 5 conference, I think they would be competitive for the same recruits in the southern Ohio area as UK. We don't really know if they will compete, but they certainly deserve the chance to prove themselves.

Houston got 16 points from their defense from two pick 6's and a safety. This could have easily been a one touchdown game and this was definitely closer than the score suggests. 10 point game with 4 mins left and UH gets a pick 6 with 3:47 and 3:40 left to give you the final.

I still don't understand why UC didn't kick the XP when they went up 16-12 and why they didn't just kick the FG when they got stopped inside the UH 20 on 4th and 1 with the game tied at 7. You take points any way you can get them in big games like this, IMO. Poor coaching decisions in both situations, IMO.

The notion that UC can't compete with "the big boys" in the B12 is flat out ridiculous. Not saying Cincinnati would beat Oklahoma and/or Texas every year but within 3 years of being in the B12 with that type of recruiting tool, they would easily be a top 3 or 4 team in the league.

There are also plans to expand Nippert to 55k or more should a B12 invite come.

I still don't understand why UC didn't kick the XP when they went up 16-12 and why they didn't just kick the FG when they got stopped inside the UH 20 on 4th and 1 with the game tied at 7. You take points any way you can get them in big games like this, IMO. Poor coaching decisions in both situations, IMO.

Definitely agree on both these points. I thought it was a bad idea not to take the points at 7-7.

That Houston front 7 is legit. They can be beat over the top, but in the process you just ram your head into a brick wall over and over again.

25 rushes for 30 yards is about as brutal as it gets, and UC didn't play ahead of the chains all night. Teams are going to have to spread Houston out and get them on their heels via the pass to knock them off. Much easier said than done...

This. All of this.

Cats played alright defensively, but the up-tempo style just wore them out. You fix a couple things and I could see a potential rematch in the conference championship game.

My concern Walt is they've been a top 3-4 in the American the last few years. You think that instantly translates to top 3-4 in the B12? They also have no recruiting foundation in Ohio outside of a few Cincinnati schools.

Im all for them in the B12 but it's a different animal then the American. I just don't want them to be a bottom feeder in a big pond.

The notion that UC can't compete with "the big boys" in the B12 is flat out ridiculous. Not saying Cincinnati would beat Oklahoma and/or Texas every year but within 3 years of being in the B12 with that type of recruiting tool, they would easily be a top 3 or 4 team in the league.

Top 3 in the league within 3 years? Yeah, I'm gonna call "nonsense" on that.

They're quite a ways away from being able to compete year in, year out with the likes of Oklahoma, Texas, TCU, OKState, Baylor....

Edited by MentschTrachtGottLacht
WFV

Houston got 16 points from their defense from two pick 6's and a safety. This could have easily been a one touchdown game and this was definitely closer than the score suggests. 10 point game with 4 mins left and UH gets a pick 6 with 3:47 and 3:40 left to give you the final.

Also Tommy T was attempting to call a timeout when the kicked the FG at the end of the half...he may have wanted to take 1 more shot at the end zone then. I admire the moxie, but when you have a highly ranked team reeling, take the points. If it had been a 1-score game, people would be irate over this today.

I really didn't mind them going for it on 4th down but the decision to run was a surprise.

Easily? Wow...that is aggressive.

Texas

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Baylor

TCU

Those are 5 programs that have a HUGE head start.

Texas Tech

Kansas State

West Virginia

Maybe, after 3 or 4 years, UC could get to the head of that class. Maybe.

This doesn't even include Houston, which could join too, and are in that top group squarely right now.

I'm a guy that thought UC could win last night, and felt very bright when it was 16-12 in the 4th quarter, but saying they'd be in the Top 3 or 4 teams in the Big 12 within 3 years, let alone "Easily", is flat out crazy.