Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Limit on relief pitchers?

Featured Replies

One of the baseball guys on ESPN talked about this a few days ago. Said he preferred to put minimums on RPs when they came in the game Example: Must face at least 3,4,5 or some set number of batters before being pulled.

 

Or limiting teams to no more than 5 pitchers in a game.

Hey, while we're at it, why don't we let the hitters use metal bats...and maybe have the pitchers toss underhand too. Oh, and if you can't run like Billy Hamilton, you can have a ghost runner instead.

Hey, while we're at it, why don't we let the hitters use metal bats...and maybe have the pitchers toss underhand too. Oh, and if you can't run like Billy Hamilton, you can have a ghost runner instead.

 

Relax. They are only just exploring the possibility of limiting relief pitchers. In reality, limiting a team to only 5 pitchers per game would have little to no impact in the vast majority of games, since the average team uses under 4 pitchers per game. Take extra inning games out of that number, and the average likely goes down even further. Requiring pitchers to pitch to a minimum number of batters would have a bigger effect, as it would limit the ability to deploy left handed specialists, which are the majority of 1 or two batter pitching changes. While I'm not a big fan of such a change, it won't have a huge impact most of the time.

 

I don't mind long games, but many, many people do. And while this change may never happen, you'll likely see more and more ideas floated and likely at least a couple changes implemented to shorten games.

I know MLB wants to shorten games but how much time are they wanting to shave? Will 15-30 minutes really make a difference?

 

One pitching change made per inning.

I'm not so much on shortening the game as I am on shortening the regular season. Wish the playoffs and World Series could be held in September, would make each game more meaningful during the season

I like that things like this are even being talked about. Shows he has an open mind for the future.

LEAVE THE GAME ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :irked::irked::irked:

 

One of my favorite posts ever!

  • Author
LEAVE THE GAME ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :irked::irked::irked:

 

This

 

Love the way it is.

Relax. They are only just exploring the possibility of limiting relief pitchers. In reality, limiting a team to only 5 pitchers per game would have little to no impact in the vast majority of games, since the average team uses under 4 pitchers per game. Take extra inning games out of that number, and the average likely goes down even further. Requiring pitchers to pitch to a minimum number of batters would have a bigger effect, as it would limit the ability to deploy left handed specialists, which are the majority of 1 or two batter pitching changes. While I'm not a big fan of such a change, it won't have a huge impact most of the time.

 

I don't mind long games, but many, many people do. And while this change may never happen, you'll likely see more and more ideas floated and likely at least a couple changes implemented to shorten games.

 

Great post, and I agree with Hammertime. My initial reaction is that it seems a bit silly, but I love that they're exploring ways to improve the game. The NBA has been ahead of the curve on this for a while compared to the other professional sports.

Great post, and I agree with Hammertime. My initial reaction is that it seems a bit silly, but I love that they're exploring ways to improve the game. The NBA has been ahead of the curve on this for a while compared to the other professional sports.

 

If you don't evolve and you ignore the complaints about your product, you're heading for trouble.

I believe Mo Egger, Cincinnati sports talk guy, mentioned the idea of limiting warm up pitches when a reliever comes into the game. I think that is a good idea. How about limit a reliever to 3 warm up pitches on a pitching change, just so he can get a feel for the mound. Small change but it helps a little.

  • Author

I agree with lowering the pitched but commercials is the key. I would say limit Time between innings but advertising stops that.

I guess if you want to stay first pitch to last 3:15-3:30 hours on a hot July night that's your choice. I set a time limit at 9:10-9:20 PM and am out of there no matter what. I enjoy the game and environment for what it is within 2 hours or so ,it's just a regular season game,not the playoffs or World Series

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.