May 27, 201610 yr It's a confidence issue' date=' I saw him on TV in a high school game he made like 20/21 free throws and only missed that one towards the end. Have him run the point off the bench, see how he fares then.[/quote'] I agree. He's best suited playing point with the ball in his hands, let him be the third guard instead of playing out of position on the wing. I realize there's going to be times where you need Fox, Monk, and Briscoe on the floor together but I would try to play him off the bench and at the 1 spot as much as possible.
May 27, 201610 yr His shot was decent in HS. I think it's simply a confidence issue. You could be right. It might be like a guy who is a great putter on the practice green but can't make anything on the playing green when the money's on the line (and I see this fellow every morning in my bathroom mirror:D).
May 27, 201610 yr The part that bothers me with this, is his lack of total commitment to the UK program. A team must feel "all in" to pursue a national title. He's only back because he did not get any combine interest. Maybe that will come with maturity??????? I hate when people say things like this. If a person is in college and would have a chance to apply and interview for a great position at a big company, should that person not at least go through the process? Does that mean that person is not committed to his college education. It's simple majority of people who go to college for any reason doesn't go to college just to have a higher education. They go to help them find a good job. If you don't have to go through all 4 years of college to get that job then why stay just to stay? There was absolutely nothing wrong with him going through the process, wasn't immature it was just smart. He now knows what he has to get better at to accomplish his dreams. Which as someone else said he may end up being the hardest working guy on the team now. Now that he knows he is back him being committed to the team won't even be an issue.
May 27, 201610 yr I agree. He's best suited playing point with the ball in his hands, let him be the third guard instead of playing out of position on the wing. I realize there's going to be times where you need Fox, Monk, and Briscoe on the floor together but I would try to play him off the bench and at the 1 spot as much as possible. Yeah and I think Cal knows this. He didn't have a choice this past year, but he will this next season and UK won't have to go small 1-3 because the team will be loaded.
May 27, 201610 yr I hate when people say things like this. If a person is in college and would have a chance to apply and interview for a great position at a big company, should that person not at least go through the process? Does that mean that person is not committed to his college education. It's simple majority of people who go to college for any reason doesn't go to college just to have a higher education. They go to help them find a good job. If you don't have to go through all 4 years of college to get that job then why stay just to stay? There was absolutely nothing wrong with him going through the process, wasn't immature it was just smart. He now knows what he has to get better at to accomplish his dreams. Which as someone else said he may end up being the hardest working guy on the team now. Now that he knows he is back him being committed to the team won't even be an issue. I said it was a maturity issue and I hope he gets a lot of that with his venture. And hard work is what it will take to get playing time on this loaded team. Sorry, you don't like to hear it, but I come from an era when a player was with the team for four years. I realize that sounds archaic in this era of instant gratification. But it was much more fun, whether professional or college, when your team this year was your team next year. When Don Gullett left the Reds and sold out to the highest bidder ( circa 1978), was the start of this new attitude. I know it's all about the money in today's world. Companies aren't exactly loyal to their employees either, so I know it's not the way the world works anymore. However, I liked when loyalty between employer and employee counted for something. You don't have to like it, but that's my opinion.
May 28, 201610 yr I said it was a maturity issue and I hope he gets a lot of that with his venture. And hard work is what it will take to get playing time on this loaded team. Sorry, you don't like to hear it, but I come from an era when a player was with the team for four years. I realize that sounds archaic in this era of instant gratification. But it was much more fun, whether professional or college, when your team this year was your team next year. When Don Gullett left the Reds and sold out to the highest bidder ( circa 1978), was the start of this new attitude. I know it's all about the money in today's world. Companies aren't exactly loyal to their employees either, so I know it's not the way the world works anymore. However, I liked when loyalty between employer and employee counted for something. You don't have to like it, but that's my opinion. Actually it started with Reggie Jackson n Catfish Hunter. Then Moses Malone went from High School to the Pros. Bob Macadoo left UNC his Junior year I think in 72. Tom Payne left UK after one season in 71.
May 28, 201610 yr Actually it started with Reggie Jackson n Catfish Hunter. Then Moses Malone went from High School to the Pros. Bob Macadoo left UNC his Junior year I think in 72. Tom Payne left UK after one season in 71. Andy Messersmith was the first free agent. Went from Dodgers to Braves. Spencer Haywood was the first NBA "hardship " case as far as leaving college early. Case went to the Supreme Court.
May 28, 201610 yr I hate when people say things like this. If a person is in college and would have a chance to apply and interview for a great position at a big company, should that person not at least go through the process? Does that mean that person is not committed to his college education. It's simple majority of people who go to college for any reason doesn't go to college just to have a higher education. They go to help them find a good job. If you don't have to go through all 4 years of college to get that job then why stay just to stay? There was absolutely nothing wrong with him going through the process, wasn't immature it was just smart. He now knows what he has to get better at to accomplish his dreams. Which as someone else said he may end up being the hardest working guy on the team now. Now that he knows he is back him being committed to the team won't even be an issue. Some folks just don't get it. Briscoe did the right thing through and through. Found out where he stood and made the best decision for himself. Hopefully future recruits see how easy that is and appreciate that.
May 28, 201610 yr I said it was a maturity issue and I hope he gets a lot of that with his venture. And hard work is what it will take to get playing time on this loaded team. Sorry, you don't like to hear it, but I come from an era when a player was with the team for four years. I realize that sounds archaic in this era of instant gratification. But it was much more fun, whether professional or college, when your team this year was your team next year. When Don Gullett left the Reds and sold out to the highest bidder ( circa 1978), was the start of this new attitude. I know it's all about the money in today's world. Companies aren't exactly loyal to their employees either, so I know it's not the way the world works anymore. However, I liked when loyalty between employer and employee counted for something. You don't have to like it, but that's my opinion. It wasn't about loyalty back then either. It just wasn't something anyone even thought about doing back then. You honestly think those great ucla teams that won all those titles would have stayed together if they were in this Era. It had nothing to do with loyalty back then it just had to do with people not thinking they could leave early. Also him testing out the NBA was not immature. With how it is set up now it is smart to at least test and see what your worth is. You can't look at it as a fan and judge a players decision based off your best interest as a fan. His best interest was to see what his worth was. Which was smart not immature. I graduated from uk and love uk and would love if players wanted to stay. However it is the smart thing to do to test it out plain and simple.
May 28, 201610 yr I said it was a maturity issue and I hope he gets a lot of that with his venture. And hard work is what it will take to get playing time on this loaded team. Sorry, you don't like to hear it, but I come from an era when a player was with the team for four years. I realize that sounds archaic in this era of instant gratification. But it was much more fun, whether professional or college, when your team this year was your team next year. When Don Gullett left the Reds and sold out to the highest bidder ( circa 1978), was the start of this new attitude. I know it's all about the money in today's world. Companies aren't exactly loyal to their employees either, so I know it's not the way the world works anymore. However, I liked when loyalty between employer and employee counted for something. You don't have to like it, but that's my opinion. Mamaw likes when the players had no options.
May 28, 201610 yr It wasn't about loyalty back then either. It just wasn't something anyone even thought about doing back then. You honestly think those great ucla teams that won all those titles would have stayed together if they were in this Era. It had nothing to do with loyalty back then it just had to do with people not thinking they could leave early. Also him testing out the NBA was not immature. With how it is set up now it is smart to at least test and see what your worth is. You can't look at it as a fan and judge a players decision based off your best interest as a fan. His best interest was to see what his worth was. Which was smart not immature. I graduated from uk and love uk and would love if players wanted to stay. However it is the smart thing to do to test it out plain and simple. I think these players have tons of options. My best interest is choosing to buy or not buy a ticket, or shoes, a jersey, a bat, glove, when my grandchildren choose that item for a gift. Back to thread topic, Briscoe will need to be the hardest working player on this team to up his game. A player once made a statement " If I make the same mistakes in the fall that I was making in the spring, then I wasted my summer". We'll see how it goes.
June 5, 201610 yr I said it was a maturity issue and I hope he gets a lot of that with his venture. And hard work is what it will take to get playing time on this loaded team. Sorry, you don't like to hear it, but I come from an era when a player was with the team for four years. I realize that sounds archaic in this era of instant gratification. But it was much more fun, whether professional or college, when your team this year was your team next year. When Don Gullett left the Reds and sold out to the highest bidder ( circa 1978), was the start of this new attitude. I know it's all about the money in today's world. Companies aren't exactly loyal to their employees either, so I know it's not the way the world works anymore. However, I liked when loyalty between employer and employee counted for something. You don't have to like it, but that's my opinion. Sounds like someone from my generation.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.