Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Obama Thread

Featured Replies

Words actually matter. He didn't say the police were "stupid." He said they "acted stupidly." Agree or disagree on his assessment of their actions but he didn't call them "stupid."

 

I act stupidly sometimes. I'm not stupid.

 

We hear what we want to hear.

  • Replies 149
  • Views 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it really a generalization when it's true though?

 

I see it simply as another demographic used to break down the vote. Just like age groups.

 

I guess I can understand it being another demographic.

 

Maybe I am wrong here, but I just have a feeling that if I went up to a random black person and said, " I'll bet your voting for the democrat this year," it wouldn't be received well, especially if they had not intended on voting for the democrat.

 

I just wonder how it makes a black person feel when they vote differently than the "black vote." But, at the end of the day it really doesn't effect me in any way.

I guess I can understand it being another demographic.

 

Maybe I am wrong here, but I just have a feeling that if I went up to a random black person and said, " I'll bet your voting for the democrat this year," it wouldn't be received well, especially if they had not intended on voting for the democrat.

 

I just wonder how it makes a black person feel when they vote differently than the "black vote." But, at the end of the day it really doesn't effect me in any way.

 

Easy explanation. Your example is about an individual. The comments made have been about a voting block. Pretty clear distinction. Voting blocks are not new.

I guess I can understand it being another demographic.

 

Maybe I am wrong here, but I just have a feeling that if I went up to a random black person and said, " I'll bet your voting for the democrat this year," it wouldn't be received well, especially if they had not intended on voting for the democrat.

 

I just wonder how it makes a black person feel when they vote differently than the "black vote." But, at the end of the day it really doesn't effect me in any way.

 

I'd imagine probably no different than it makes me feel voting differently than the white, male, Christian, 25-40 vote. Which is to say, I wouldn't give it a thought.

 

And I'm not entirely sure what that demographic typically votes, but being a 3rd party voter, I can say with much confidence I don't fall in line with it.

I'd imagine probably no different than it makes me feel voting differently than the white, male, Christian, 25-40 vote. Which is to say, I wouldn't give it a thought.

 

And I'm not entirely sure what that demographic typically votes, but being a 3rd party voter, I can say with much confidence I don't fall in line with it.

 

But do you notice all the qualifiers you had to put in there? THAT is a voting block. A narrowly defined group of people with a relatively similar age,religion, gender, belief set. You never see anything that defined or narrow when referencing how Blacks vote. It is like it is just assumed that every black person is the same, which is far from true.

But do you notice all the qualifiers you had to put in there? THAT is a voting block. A narrowly defined group of people with a relatively similar age,religion, gender, belief set. You never see anything that defined or narrow when referencing how Blacks vote. It is like it is just assumed that every black person is the same, which is far from true.

 

I get that. It's like Clyde mentioned, when you're speaking of a specific individual, it's wrong to just assume they voted a certain way, but when you're talking about a specific demographic as a whole, it's not really a generalization when it's overwhelmingly true.

Words actually matter. He didn't say the police were "stupid." He said they "acted stupidly." Agree or disagree on his assessment of their actions but he didn't call them "stupid."

 

I act stupidly sometimes. I'm not stupid.

Go back and look at it. Obama in press conference proceeded to call Cambridge Police Department, not the arresting officer, "stupid". Word for word. And I agree Exact words do matter. And conjugation and expression and emphasis placed on a particular word matters. That's why I do not like texting and email. Important messages get misinterpreted constantly.

We hear what we want to hear.

 

No we do not. It was a busy day, not really paying much attention to the audio until I heard this and stopped to come back to make sure exactly what I thought I heard. Word for word. I guess in the waning months of his historical presidency there will need to be items like this parsed out. Word for exact word stupid not acted stupidly.

Interesting...

 

From this video, it's clear President Obama says the Cambridge police "acted stupidly".

 

Just before the 2 minute mark.

 

Interesting...

 

From this video, it's clear President Obama says the Cambridge police "acted stupidly".

 

Just before the 2 minute mark.

 

 

He sounded pretty rational to me Sportsaholic Mamaw. IMO if you found it to be anything but then you're just looking for reasons to disapprove, and like what mcpapa said, hearing what you want to hear. You were so sure as well as incorrect which screams how you let your biased mind play tricks on you all for the sake of helping you keep a steadfast disapproval of him.

  • Author
I guess I can understand it being another demographic.

 

Maybe I am wrong here, but I just have a feeling that if I went up to a random black person and said, " I'll bet your voting for the democrat this year," it wouldn't be received well, especially if they had not intended on voting for the democrat.

 

I just wonder how it makes a black person feel when they vote differently than the "black vote." But, at the end of the day it really doesn't effect me in any way.

 

I am proudly voting for Gary Johnson this election cycle and I am fairly certain the black vote is going for Hillary.

  • Author
But do you notice all the qualifiers you had to put in there? THAT is a voting block. A narrowly defined group of people with a relatively similar age,religion, gender, belief set. You never see anything that defined or narrow when referencing how Blacks vote. It is like it is just assumed that every black person is the same, which is far from true.

 

No argument there. Every black person doesn't vote the same but a very very large majority of blacks will vote for the democratic nominee in the presidential election cycles.

No argument there. Every black person doesn't vote the same but a very very large majority of blacks will vote for the democratic nominee in the presidential election cycles.

 

 

This just in.

Interesting...

 

From this video, it's clear President Obama says the Cambridge police "acted stupidly".

 

Just before the 2 minute mark.

 

 

O.K. I read it, I did not listen to the replay. Next?

He sounded pretty rational to me Sportsaholic Mamaw. IMO if you found it to be anything but then you're just looking for reasons to disapprove, and like what mcpapa said, hearing what you want to hear. You were so sure as well as incorrect which screams how you let your biased mind play tricks on you all for the sake of helping you keep a steadfast disapproval of him.

 

Taking another one. Fire away..

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.