School Lunches

Horace

How are the lunches at your school? Do your kids complain about them and come home starving?

I remember being hungry when I got home from school but it wasn't because of bad food. These kids aren't even eating. Let's not talk about " pack your lunch", to me and mine that's not much better. Big ? How did Highlands new opt out lunches go?

My daughter (7th grade) eats lunch before 10:30, then has softball right after school. Granola bars and things of that nature are a mainstay inner backpack. The school lunches are meager at best as it is. Eating that early is silly.

Took one of my kids lunch and sat with them to eat. Another parent was eating school lunch with his kid. Neither of them were sure what the entrée was. That's never a good sign.

Coming home hungry from lunch depends on the lunch time (usually wayyy too early), what they are serving and whether or not they were allowed to go outside or had to sit inside during their recess because their teacher/principal is insane about some crazy standardized testing coming up.

My wife (teacher) talks about this at least once a week. Her school has free lunch for all students and its terrible. What good does it do to serve food the kids wont/dont eat. They dont even serve pizza anymore.

Funny thing is my wife does an after school activity on Mondays, and after school they do a snack program where the kids can get a snack before their activity. What is the snack, Hotdog and chips/pizza and chips, go figure.

My wife (teacher) talks about this at least once a week. Her school has free lunch for all students and its terrible. What good does it do to serve food the kids wont/dont eat. They dont even serve pizza anymore.

Funny thing is my wife does an after school activity on Mondays, and after school they do a snack program where the kids can get a snack before their activity. What is the snack, Hotdog and chips/pizza and chips, go figure.

Always liked the Tony's school pizzas, and the hamburgers, I would buy and extra one on those days.

Always liked the Tony's school pizzas, and the hamburgers, I would buy and extra one on those days.

Loved the rectangular pizzas of the 70's and 80's. And the fries my school served were a close second to McDonald's.

When I was in school, 70's through early 80's, I would bring extra money so I could buy MORE school lunch. I liked what was served on most days, though it was hardly ever enough from a growing big boy/athlete like I was without getting extra. But yes, I enjoyed school lunch back in the day.

I have had the opportunity through work to eat both some school lunches and prison lunches in the not so distant past. I actually think the prison lunch was a tad better than the school lunches I had...which ain't saying much mind you, because that's how bad the school lunches I have had recently were.