School Lunches

Horace

My kids and their friends hate the lunchroom food, looking at the menu I understand why. I love telling them about the lunches we had when I was in school. It wasn't junk food and we never where given a menu before hand. The selection was always good and the food was real. I went to the same school they go to now.

How are the lunches at your school? Do your kids complain about them and come home starving?

I remember being hungry when I got home from school but it wasn't because of bad food. These kids aren't even eating. Let's not talk about " pack your lunch", to me and mine that's not much better. Big ? How did Highlands new opt out lunches go?

My kids love the Highlands lunches. I pack their lunch every day but when I check their school account, they tend to buy things every day also. But with all cafeterias, some lunches are better than others.

According to the school board, they are happy they opted out of the federal program.

FORT THOMAS MATTERS: Fort Thomas Independent Lunch Revenue Increases After Opting Out Of Federal School Lunch Program

I'm sure things have changed, but Paul Blazer in Ashland used to have some pretty good lunches when I was in school. The spaghetti was great with an extra cup of cheese. Meatloaf was pretty good. Taco salad was about as good as any I've ever had, much better than you would expect from a school. Lasagna was okay, nothing like home made but better than most of your frozen varieties in stores. Antipasto salad was good. The only thing I really didn't like were the soy burgers and chicken sandwiches. With the new "healthy" lunch plans I'm sure that has all changed though.