Should coaches be able to ban players from going on spring break??

D1Son

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High school parents should ban their children from going on Spring Break.

Are you saying family vacation during that week? I assume you mean spring break alone with friends.. If so yes I agree. Our one family vacation is on HS spring break week. We go with other families to the same area. Not the same deal as college spring break.

Are you saying family vacation during that week? I assume you mean spring break alone with friends.. If so yes I agree. Our one family vacation is on HS spring break week. We go with other families to the same area. Not the same deal as college spring break.

Family vacation is great. I 100% would NEVER send my high school kids to Spring Break alone with their friends.

To me families have only so much time with their kids before they go off to college, military, or wherever. You want to go somewhere with your kid(s) off-season that is your choice -- the coach does not own you 365 days a year. I doubt any team is losing in the fall because a few went on vacation in the spring when school was not in session. A family vacation and its memories will far out last a few missed workouts in April! If some want to stay and workout because it is that important to them then they have the right to do that to.

They can't tell you not to go BUT they can say "We are having practice and/or a game that week and if you skip it to go on vacation you are off the team."

A coach should make that clear before the season starts though.

Any coach of my kids that manages his program like this will turn me into one of those parents very quickly. Very few parents are as supportive of coaches as me but I would not tolerate this in high school sports.

Any coach of my kids that manages his program like this will turn me into one of those parents very quickly. Very few parents are as supportive of coaches as me but I would not tolerate this in high school sports.

I know this is the football forum and I would not advocate removing a player for missing something off season like spring practice. I don't know of any school that has practice during Spring break. But as a football coach, or any sport that is IN season, it is unacceptable for a parent to just say we are going on vacation and ditching the team during that time. It should be up to that coach to move on from that player.

I just wanted to clarify that my comment was for IN season sports.

In regards to spring break and spring football...

There is no more overrated thing in sports than the value of spring football.

Disagree. Huge chance to evaluate some kids and for kids to get the chance to prove they have something to offer.

In regards to spring break and spring football...

There is no more overrated thing in sports than the value of spring football.

Spring football allows us to get live reps without worrying about getting banged up for a game. It helped us improve substantially at Mason. We have had a great spring at Mercer. Very productive.

A wise coach told me every time a HS player gets live reps he gets better.

Still... I am fine with guys getting time off for spring break.