March 21, 201610 yr A number of American companies will make a fortune. In the end, it should be a win/win. And it's entirely possible that American influence now will lay the groundwork for a better future for Cuban citizens. I hope your right. That was what I was thinking when I said it could be good. There will certainly be a lot of money coming in from tourism etc. I just hope the government doesn't "addopt" them and give them a ton of foreign aid.
March 21, 201610 yr Author 53% are against the visit per this report. Poll: Cuban-Americans warming to Obama’s policies toward the island | Miami Herald Cuban Americans split over Obama’s trip to Havana - The Washington Post Again. This article proves my point the two quoted in favor of the trip are 2 or 3 generations removed. Then a host of people against. The quote by the mayor is where I stand for the visit now. There is no going back , it's done. But Obama needs to give a speech torward Cuba like Reagan did Russia and not a speech of friendship. Cuba hasnt done anything , in fact dissendent being jailed is on the rise over the last 3 months.
March 21, 201610 yr Author A number of American companies will make a fortune. In the end, it should be a win/win. And it's entirely possible that American influence now will lay the groundwork for a better future for Cuban citizens. The problem is Cuba is in the process of creating a law that says 90% of wages made from the new jobs that may come will be taxed. Also what is lost is America was the only country with this embargo. Why has no other country gone in there and made money? Could it be a brutal dictatorship with showing no signs of change.
March 21, 201610 yr Author I hope your right. That was what I was thinking when I said it could be good. There will certainly be a lot of money coming in from tourism etc. I just hope the government doesn't "addopt" them and give them a ton of foreign aid. Anyone who travels to Cuba and funds that government has blood on their hands.
March 21, 201610 yr Anyone who travels to Cuba and funds that government has blood on their hands. Just for clarifications sake, do you feel the same way about any and all business with China?
March 22, 201610 yr Castro was asked by a reporter about political prisoners. He acted like he didn't know about any. Even said give me a list and I will release them immediately. A Cuban group out of Miami released 27 names shortly there after. I'm not real crazy about sending millions of cash until the Castro's come clean on human rights.
March 22, 201610 yr Castro was asked by a reporter about political prisoners. He acted like he didn't know about any. Even said give me a list and I will release them immediately. A Cuban group out of Miami released 27 names shortly there after. I'm not real crazy about sending millions of cash until the Castro's come clean on human rights. He was asked this question when Obama went off script and opened up the floor for questions and called on a Cuban-American journalist to ask Castro a question and then the journalist asked Castro the question in Spanish so it wouldn't be lost in translation. What Obama did was ballsy. I guess they should have greeted him on the Tarmac.
March 22, 201610 yr A number of American companies will make a fortune. In the end, it should be a win/win. And it's entirely possible that American influence now will lay the groundwork for a better future for Cuban citizens. This is my hope too.
March 22, 201610 yr Yep, definitely. There's no possible way that could have escalated at all. Nope no way whatsoever. If you are talking about the Russians and Cuban Missile Crisis. Bay of Pigs invasion was before the Russians came to Cuba with Nukes. So yeah if we had followed our plan, we could have overthrown Castro and made Cuba a safer and better place.
March 22, 201610 yr The only people that this is good for will be those in the hotel/resort business. Those evil corporations....
March 22, 201610 yr If you are talking about the Russians and Cuban Missile Crisis. Bay of Pigs invasion was before the Russians came to Cuba with Nukes. So yeah if we had followed our plan, we could have overthrown Castro and made Cuba a safer and better place. You don't believe that the Soviets had troops and vested interest already in Cuba in '61? :ohbrother:
March 22, 201610 yr You don't believe that the Soviets had troops and vested interest already in Cuba in '61? :ohbrother: And if they did so what, we should and could have done it to begin with. JFK blew it.
March 22, 201610 yr Anyone listen to Dan LeBatard on Mike and Mike this morning or yesterday on his show?
March 22, 201610 yr Author Just for clarifications sake, do you feel the same way about any and all business with China? This is a false comparison used by people to justify a poor decision by our president. I see it on social media what about China , Russia , or Saudia Arabia. Let's all be grownups and understand we have vested interests to talk with those countries either do to being world powers or for resources. Not to mention China as evil as it is actually has a growing middle class and private enterprise economy. China manipulates the market , currency and I don't trust them in the slightest. But a strategy for China doesn't translate to Cuba. Cuba is a dictatorship with next to zero private enterprise. They want to tax all income from new jobs 90 % . So when all these Americans visit Cuba and feel good about themselves. Relaize your putting money in Castro's hands.
March 22, 201610 yr Author Just for clarifications sake, do you feel the same way about any and all business with China? Also I don't plan on traveling to China anytime soon.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.