March 16, 201610 yr Vandy shot 3-19 from behind the arc and hit 30.2% overall from the field and 57.7% from the line. Vandy should have been in the other tournament. They may have even won a game, that is if they could have played at home.
March 16, 201610 yr Anyone expecting Vandy to do anything but choke should take a step away from the flask. Nothing in the Stallings era suggests he could out coach my cat.
March 16, 201610 yr Someone has an axe to grind...:idunno: Axe to grind? I think the SEC fans that were bemoaning South Carolina's omission from the field as if they are a good league, but yet they use UK's accomplishments as a way to prop up the rest of the league, are comical. I also think a league the quality of the SEC being so bad in hoops consistently (6th, 5th, 6th, out of the top 6 leagues the last 3 years) is funny, especially given that they have arguably the nation's top program in their league.
March 16, 201610 yr Axe to grind? I think the SEC fans that were bemoaning South Carolina's omission from the field as if they are a good league, but yet they use UK's accomplishments as a way to prop up the rest of the league, are comical. I also think a league the quality of the SEC being so bad in hoops consistently (6th, 5th, 6th, out of the top 6 leagues the last 3 years) is funny, especially given that they have arguably the nation's top program in their league. SEC has always, always been top heavy. Doesn't mean they don't have a few quality teams in the past not named UK. How soon we might forget that just 2 seasons ago it was the SEC that had 2 teams in the Final Four.
March 16, 201610 yr I wonder when was the last time the SEC didn't have any teams left by the end of the first weekend? 2009.
March 16, 201610 yr 2009. Thanks. That was Billy G's last year, and the Cats played in the NIT. How many SEC teams even made it that year?
March 16, 201610 yr Thanks. That was Billy G's last year, and the Cats played in the NIT. How many SEC teams even made it that year? Three: Tennessee, LSU, and Mississippi St. Weird year.
March 16, 201610 yr Thanks. That was Billy G's last year, and the Cats played in the NIT. How many SEC teams even made it that year? #8 LSU - lost in the 2nd round to #1 UNC #9 Tennessee - lost in the 1st round to #8 OK State #13 Mississippi State (SEC Tournament Champs) - lost in the 1st round to #4 Washington
March 16, 201610 yr Does Stallings seat have any warmth to it? It should. What a disappointing year for Vandy. Stallings stinks. Vandy will actually have some talent again next year, assuming Jones stays for his senior year.
March 16, 201610 yr #8 LSU - lost in the 2nd round to #1 UNC #9 Tennessee - lost in the 1st round to #8 OK State #13 Mississippi State (SEC Tournament Champs) - lost in the 1st round to #4 Washington I don't remember that SEC tournament, but a 13-seed SEC Champion is really strange. I assume they won that league tournament in a big upset. Still really strange to see a major conference champ as a 13-seed.
March 16, 201610 yr I don't remember that SEC tournament, but a 13-seed SEC Champion is really strange. I assume they won that league tournament in a big upset. Still really strange to see a major conference champ as a 13-seed. Yeah, I didn't remember it either. Wikipedia did all the hard work for me.
March 16, 201610 yr Wichita State was ranked 11 overall of team in the tourney on the KenPom Index...so they may have also been just a bit under seeded.
March 16, 201610 yr #8 LSU - lost in the 2nd round to #1 UNC #9 Tennessee - lost in the 1st round to #8 OK State #13 Mississippi State (SEC Tournament Champs) - lost in the 1st round to #4 Washington I don't remember that SEC tournament, but a 13-seed SEC Champion is really strange. I assume they won that league tournament in a big upset. Still really strange to see a major conference champ as a 13-seed.The year before was UGA getting in as a 14 seed after winning the double header on Saturday. Pretty sure 2009 was the year the SEC tournament was in Tampa as well. Another oddity. LSU was the best team in the league that season and I felt was a bit under seeded. Gave UNC probably their most competitive game of the NCAA tournament.
March 16, 201610 yr SEC has always, always been top heavy. Doesn't mean they don't have a few quality teams in the past not named UK. How soon we might forget that just 2 seasons ago it was the SEC that had 2 teams in the Final Four. They have had a ton of quality teams at the top, heck, Florida won back-to-back National Titles. Not the issue. I get that it is a football-centric conference (under-statement), but the lack of depth in that league year-to-year is funny. They also (minus UK, again) don't schedule very well as a league, and, of course, their overall hoops attendance (again, minus UK) as a percentage of capacity is low. As a hoops-first guy, I've always thought they could and should do better. Mike Slive LOVED college hoops, and I mean LOVED it, but still, under his watch, the rising tide didn't lift all ships.
March 16, 201610 yr The year before was UGA getting in as a 14 seed after winning the double header on Saturday. Yep, the tornado year, UGA is a 14 and leads the 3-seed Xavier by 9 at the half in DC before getting freight-trained in the 2nd half. Sean Miller was none-too-pleased to be a 3-seed and have to play the SEC Champion in the 1st round.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.