Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Augusta 63 Montgomery County 49 (10th Region Semifinals)

Featured Replies

However Combs should never be in man to man situation with any of the Augusta kids.

 

Every time Shoemaker got the ball, if he recognized Combs was guarding him one-on-one, he immediately went to the basket. As he should have.

  • Replies 67
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This Montgomery Co team wasn't built to come from behind. They've struggled each of the past two years to be able to guard a team that can spread the court and drive, and once they had to turn up the pressure defensively they left themselves too vulnerable on the back side to open layups.

 

Last year in the District, Bourbon spread them out, got to the basket and created several three point opportunities. This game Augusta spread them out, and got to the basket, but Montgomery Co didn't help off the shooters which allowed layup after layup. Augusta did a great job of finishing once they got to the basket.

 

They rarely played any zone, despite the fact that it was not unusual for them to have a difficult match-up in man to man defense. They didn't use their length to their advantage on defense. Size wise they were similar to the 2002 Indian team that was one of the better zone defensive teams I've seen, but they never really gave that a chance.

 

I think Montgomery Co was arguably more talented at almost every position in this game, but not enough to overcome the fact that Effort, Composure, Game Plan and Execution all favored Augusta in this one.

 

Congratulations to Augusta as they without a doubt earned this win, and good luck to them tonight!

This Montgomery Co team wasn't built to come from behind. They've struggled each of the past two years to be able to guard a team that can spread the court and drive, and once they had to turn up the pressure defensively they left themselves too vulnerable on the back side to open layups.

 

Last year in the District, Bourbon spread them out, got to the basket and created several three point opportunities. This game Augusta spread them out, and got to the basket, but Montgomery Co didn't help off the shooters which allowed layup after layup. Augusta did a great job of finishing once they got to the basket.

 

They rarely played any zone, despite the fact that it was not unusual for them to have a difficult match-up in man to man defense. They didn't use their length to their advantage on defense. Size wise they were similar to the 2002 Indian team that was one of the better zone defensive teams I've seen, but they never really gave that a chance.

 

I think Montgomery Co was arguably more talented at almost every position in this game, but not enough to overcome the fact that Effort, Composure, Game Plan and Execution all favored Augusta in this one.

 

Congratulations to Augusta as they without a doubt earned this win, and good luck to them tonight!

 

Ok, about the best PC correct post I've ever read after a thumping like that.

 

Thx you well said.

You have a kid the size of Combs and you don't even explore the possibility of playing a zone?

 

I was confused early in the season and became more confused last night if thats possible.

Poor Moco, no one feels sorry for them, that is the staff they wanted. Anyway, Go Augusta!! Rooting on the little team that could. Coach Hinson has to be happy for the team he left, he loves those kids.

I could not agree more. Montgomery County had a very solid senior class and what to show for it? One region win. The saying one gets what they ask for seems to fit here perfectly. Congrats to Augusta and hope they can pull it off!

Augusta played great and had a great gameplan of taking advantages of mismatches.

 

Jones and Fuller played well for Montgomery but all the other guys really struggled. Montgomery should have helped more on defense and not allowed so many layups. They should have tried to stay on Maddox but make the other guys beat them from deep. They should have kept Jones under the basket to try and block shots instead of having him and Shelby out guarding the perimeter. That being said Augusta still probably would have won.

 

I hope they beat Mason tonight.

Disappointed in the Ledger Independent title. "Augusta plays 'perfect game' en route to regional final" Not really a perfect game. Augusta wasn't out there performing miracles. They just wanted it more. Augusta plays 'perfect game' en route to regional final

 

All in interpretation. I'd say shooting 60%, out-rebounding your opponent by 10, committing only 4 turnovers, and winning by 14 is about perfect.

Poor Moco, no one feels sorry for them, that is the staff they wanted. Anyway, Go Augusta!! Rooting on the little team that could. Coach Hinson has to be happy for the team he left, he loves those kids.

 

I don't think anyone (certainly not me) is asking anyone to feel sorry for them, and while there may be questions about some strategy/decisions I don't believe people have issues with the coaching staff.

 

From everything I have seen Coach Daniel appears to be a great role model and well respected by his players. I have never seen him degrade a player, but he is always complimentary and supportive of his kids. You will see nothing but support for Coach Daniel and his staff from me as long as he stays the positive example that he has been thus far.

Poor Moco, no one feels sorry for them, that is the staff they wanted. Anyway, Go Augusta!! Rooting on the little team that could. Coach Hinson has to be happy for the team he left, he loves those kids.

 

No offense to Coach Daniel, but I can't say this was the staff we wanted. We had an administration that did not know what it wanted. This group of Seniors had to learn

Keith Griessers system as 7th graders (yes, we all taught the same things)

Tony Wise's system as 8th graders

Happy Osbourne's system as Freshman

Jason Holland's system as Sophomores

And then Matt's system their JR. and Sr. years.

I feel the Montgomery County Administration did these boys a disservice. I was part of the Middle School program when they were 7th graders and I would just sit and be amazed at what they could do at such a young age. Team Chemistry!

I don't think anyone (certainly not me) is asking anyone to feel sorry for them, and while there may be questions about some strategy/decisions I don't believe people have issues with the coaching staff.

 

From everything I have seen Coach Daniel appears to be a great role model and well respected by his players. I have never seen him degrade a player, but he is always complimentary and supportive of his kids. You will see nothing but support for Coach Daniel and his staff from me as long as he stays the positive example that he has been thus far.

 

I agree with everything you said.

 

I would however like to see the school system hire a mentor for Matt. He's a very young coach who could only benefit from someone to bounce ideas and strategies off of.

One of the more enjoyable games that I have witnessed.

 

Augusta spread them out and MoCo failed weak-side help miserably.

The Panthers ran 1:50 off of the clock to get the last shot of the third quarter, WITH THE ARROW to start the fourth. They then ran another minute-plus off to start the fourth quarter and MoCo allowed Shoemaker to score three CONSECUTIVE uncontested backdoor baskets.

 

Kudos to Dan Manley (WMST) for calling a spade a spade on his post-game show and not making any excuses (quite the contrary) for his team or their performance.

 

You've got to love the Panthers - Unbridled Enthusiasm. I will miss watching Owens Crawford play the game when these seniors graduate. Just before tip-off he was jumping up and down, chomping at the bit, while Coach Kirk was giving last second instructions. I was also happy to see Connor Maddox have a big night - one of the most under-rated players in the Region.

 

If there is a basketball-god, I hope that he smiles favorably on the Panthers tonight. Nothing against the Royals, but this would be the crowning achievement for these kids, their town, and Augusta High School (Understatement).

 

Perhaps it won't take intervention from the basketball-god. Maybe these Panthers are playing well enough right now to win on their own merits, and fulfill their destiny. I really hope so!

Folks, Augusta is damn good. They are very efficient in every aspect of the game which is what you expect from a team that starts 3 quality players that started 4 years, defend well, pass well, always get the 50/50 balls, aren't afraid to set picks, play excellent help side and simply know the game. They will scratch your eyes out and never ever quit.

 

Coach Daniel started off with a good game plan. Somehow, however, MOCO got away from getting the ball inside and taking advantage of the one weakness Augusta has- size. The problem I saw from the coaching staff was the inability to adjust. I'm sure Coach Daniels will learn with more experience.

Shelby Combs is gonna have nightmares of guarding Jared Shoemaker for the rest of his life

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.