Nicest Gyms in the state?

DOZER7

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harlan County gym is incredible.

Nothing to do with this topic but I was glad to see that when the new Harlan County school was built after consolidation that they decided to not use the "Central" that many others have done after combining schools. I've always thought that just a simple Perry County would have been better for their new school when it formed in the 1990s. There seems to be a zillion Central's out there when it's not needed in the school name. McCracken and Muhlenberg decided against adding Central, too. Makes sense.

To add to the above post, with Letcher and Knott it was not a bad idea to add Central in their new school's name. Each county already had schools with the name of the county before consolidation. Knott had Knott County High and Letcher had Letcher High. So I suppose they went with Central for that reason.

Speaking of new gyms, Letcher County Central has a nice facility. The only issue I have with it is it only seats about 2600, which is kind of small for a school and county of their size. They hosted the district a couple years ago and it was bursting at the seams. They actually had to use split sessions to make it work. They were removed from the regional tournament rotation last year. I don't know how much of a factor the size of their gym had to do with that. Hazard Memorial was also removed from the rotation. The 14th now uses 4 locations for the region, one venue from each district.