Beechwood 49 Holy Cross 47

Guest BBParent

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When HC became 2-0 in the district with their win over CCH it was a hoot when everyone just handed them the #1 seed before Beechwood had even played one district game.

I'm happy for the Indians and their fine season, but couldn't help but to have my mind go to the old saying "Don't count your chickens...."

For the sake of keeping things interesting, this thing has so far played out exactly the way that I was hoping that it would in a "nothing is for certain" kinda way.

Just as Holy Cross has been having a nice story line going this season, you just gotta love what the 14-12 Beechies have managed to pull off, and with an 8th grader leading the way nonetheless. You just can't make this stuff up... I'm lovin' it.

The 35th district this year has had mostly a "careful what you wish for" story line and especially with the surprises that the Tigers have presented. Right now it would seem that Beechwood, with tonight's victory, at least have given themselves the "chance" of avoiding the Blue Colonels, whereas if they had lost tonight, matchup-wise, facing CovCath for them would've been certain death if their lopsided loss to them last week is any indication.

Freaky too is that the stars have lined up to allow Beechwood have home court advantage in the district tourney.

It's really going to be interesting to see the outcome of the draw to see who gets who.

After all said and done, what a crazy turn of events it would be if 0-3 Holmes managed to be either district champs or runner-ups, which is not at all impossible.

I'll ultimately be fine with whoever advances at this point because for now this has all been solidly interesting, and whatever comes next will just be the icing on the cake.

The more that you don't know for certain, the more exciting it is, and with the head scratcher of a season it has been, I feel like I'm more than getting my money's worth.

This 9th Region mystery novel is gonna play itself right out to the Regional Final and nobody really knows for certain who's going to be crowned. You really can't ask for anything more exciting and interesting than that.

Let's say Beechwood vs. Holmes and Holy Cross vs. CovCath. Beechwood and Holy Cross win.... When was the last time Holmes and CovCath didn't make the regional tournament?

Has that ever happened? You probably have to go back to the early 60's, or even further.

My guess is it has happened, though I can't tell you when. They weren't always in the same district, and for a long time there was no seeding.

Post Dickie Beal, Holmes wasn't real good from 82ish to 87ish. They easily could have missed the region a few times in those years. CovCath in 84ish forward wasn't winning any regional titles in the 80's.

I'd look at those years, along with some random years during the 90's. If not then, you are going into the way back time machine.

So you need to get there around 3:30 PM to get in to the games? Sad there are going to be some great games and there will be many fans that won't get to watch.

Start the "everyone loves the atmosphere of the close gyms" thread. While I appreciate the fact that they rotate the districts through the schools the district loses a lot of revenue by not having enough capacity to hold the crowds that they could accommodate at a larger venue. Imo it causes fans to lose interest in even trying to go. I can remember getting shut out of district games at Holmes with 3000 seating capacity. I wouldn't even attempt to go to a district game with 750 capacity.

And the 35 Districts are being played at Beechwood. only 750 tickets to be sold.

300 will be given to each school for pre sale and the last 150 at the gate

I get the fact that it's hard to pass up on the home court advantage, but it quite possibly could be some of the best games most of us will never see.

I was told Holmes offered their gym, and Beechwood would have to pay ZERO rent and get to keep ALL the gate money.....Holmes would get the concessions money. Also, Holmes offered to provide all the gate and concession workers.

Holmes was in the NCC, Newport, Highlands et al district for awhile. Not sure exactly when they were moved to the "Covington" district.

From 1987 until 1996 the 35th District was made up of:

NewCath

Newport

Holmes

Dayton

Bellevue

while during this period the 36th was made up of

Campbell Co.

Highlands

Brossart

Silver Grove

Scott

Previous to '87 the 34th looked like this as far back to 1966.

1965 was the last year that Covington Grant was apart of the 34th.

CovCath

Holy Cross

Holmes

Ludlow

Beechwood

Covington Latin

From 1988-1996 the 34th was

CovCath

Holy Cross

Beechwood

Ludlow

Dixie

Latin

With Villa coming aboard in 1993 and then in 1997 the 34th changed to what it mostly looks like now with the exception that Beechwood was in the 34th while Ludlow was in the 35th, then those two teams switched in 2006 with Ludlow going to the 34th and Beechwood to the 35th.

I could go on and on with more district breakdowns as well as when some 9th Region teams broke off and went to the 8th or the 10th, but to I'm already getting carried away with trying to answer the initial question of when Holmes used to be in the same district as Newport, NewCath, Dayton, and Bellevue.