February 3, 201610 yr It sounds like a team that needs to play zone. They'd still be bad defending aggressive guards off the bounce in zone. It isn't some easy fix for guys that don't move well laterally...
February 3, 201610 yr Two times since Cal has coached at UK people have written off final four teams. This team will continue to improve and will be a tough out come tournament time.
February 3, 201610 yr Two times since Cal has coached at UK people have written off final four teams. This team will continue to improve and will be a tough out come tournament time. Only big difference is this teams ability to defend. Deep runs are built on balance. This UK team is one dimensional in a major way so far...
February 3, 201610 yr So did Cal blame his kids on not knowing how to win again? UK players need to blame Cal on not knowing how to coach!
February 3, 201610 yr So did Cal blame his kids on not knowing how to win again? UK players need to blame Cal on not knowing how to coach! Guessing you'd like to see the Simon Kenton coach hired in Lexington??
February 3, 201610 yr Guessing you'd like to see the Simon Kenton coach hired in Lexington?? UK should have hired someone like Izzo or Wojciechowski!
February 3, 201610 yr UK should have hired someone like Izzo. Love Izzo and a few others, but if KY is upset with Cal's tenure at UK; then they're in for a real tough time when he leaves? Keep it up and Billy Clyde II will emerge--LOL.
February 3, 201610 yr Love Izzo and a few others, but if KY is upset with Cal's tenure at UK; then they're in for a real tough time when he leaves? Keep it up and Billy Clyde II will emerge--LOL. I just prefer a coach that can coach kids not one that says highschool all Americans don't know how to win. That just showed coach Cal is a complete idoit!
February 3, 201610 yr I just prefer a coach that can coach kids not one that says highschool all Americans don't know how to win. That just showed coach Cal is a complete idoit! Shocking as it may seem to you, most HS All Americans don't know squat about defense, and especially at the collegiate level? To quote the great Al McGuire--"The best thing about a freshman, is next year he'll be a sophomore". As many have said this year, 2015 was a bad year for HS grads, and while KY may have gotten a few of the best; replacing 7 rotation players from a 38-1 team isn't as easy as you may think. If you notice, many of the "high level reloading teams" have struggled mightily this year, and have all shown to be inconsistent. Maybe they come together, and maybe they don't--Time will tell. Guarantee that multiple teams in the Final Four will have 5+ losses this year, and I'd fully expect to get a surprise winner. Welcome to college hoop life this year. Can't always be non-stop winning like out SK-way??
February 3, 201610 yr I just prefer a coach that can coach kids not one that says highschool all Americans don't know how to win. That just showed coach Cal is a complete idoit!Not stepping into a battle between you and another but I have a question bc I honestly don't remember, I really don't ..... I was just wondering if you were one of the many on here that were bashing Tubby Smith and did you bash him in the 98' when he won a championship ? Did you criticize Cal in his National Championship season or could he coach then ? I a not just singling out you bc others have done the same. My point is that is jmo that coaches get far too much blame when they lose and to be fair, probably too much credit when they win. I too have questioned coaches, including Cal at times myself but that was jmo. I feel that I know a fair amount of basketball as I am sure that you do as well. I know full well and will admit that these coaches know their team far better than I and that they know far more basketball as well. As for this game at UT, imo it was clearly the players. My reasoning is that they built a 21 point lead ! I personally believe that at that point they took their foot off the gas, thinking they were going to cruise the rest of the way. I have lost count of how many times that I have witnessed this in every sport ... when an obviously more talented, better team allows a weaker opponet to stay in or get back in a game that they shouldn't then it gives that team confidence and things, the game starts a steam roll in their favor. Again, not going after you personally .., just some thoughts on a lot of the Cal criticizing. I'll leave it at that now, just wanted to voice an opinion.
February 3, 201610 yr I noticed this comment / quote from Coach Cal on one of my fav. FB sites and thought that I would pass on these post game comments that John Calipari said after the game ... "we've got some soul searching to do" "They’re fighting me," Cal said postgame. "They haven’t surrendered to it yet. They just haven’t surrendered to it yet. They're still, 'My stuff works.' At what point is it gonna work? So they haven't surrendered to it. And let me just say this, winning plays are like tough rebounds. They took a 3 – a guy kinda fell asleep and they got a 3 in the corner, and he missed it. And the guy that lost him just turned and stopped playing. The ball went right there, and then they score. You can't. That's winning plays and losing plays. A winning play is, 'I'm there, it hits, I go and I dive on the floor, I tip it to a friend and we play.' We're not there. We still – we got a good team. Obviously. We've shown it. We showed it for 15 minutes today, and then we revert. Just didn't have the fight that you need to go on the road and win.”
February 3, 201610 yr Not stepping into a battle between you and another but I have a question bc I honestly don't remember, I really don't ..... I was just wondering if you were one of the many on here that were bashing Tubby Smith and did you bash him in the 98' when he won a championship ? Did you criticize Cal in his National Championship season or could he coach then ? I a not just singling out you bc others have done the same. My point is that is jmo that coaches get far too much blame when they lose and to be fair, probably too much credit when they win. I too have questioned coaches, including Cal at times myself but that was jmo. I feel that I know a fair amount of basketball as I am sure that you do as well. I know full well and will admit that these coaches know their team far better than I and that they know far more basketball as well. As for this game at UT, imo it was clearly the players. My reasoning is that they built a 21 point lead ! I personally believe that at that point they took their foot off the gas, thinking they were going to cruise the rest of the way. I have lost count of how many times that I have witnessed this in every sport ... when an obviously more talented, better team allows a weaker opponet to stay in or get back in a game that they shouldn't then it gives that team confidence and things, the game starts a steam roll in their favor. Again, not going after you personally .., just some thoughts on a lot of the Cal criticizing. I'll leave it at that now, just wanted to voice an opinion. I bashed Tubby to I never wanted Cal back then I wanted Travis Ford.
February 3, 201610 yr I'm struggling to see how anyone can think a team that plays zero defense and has zero inside presence can make a run come March?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.