Boycotting the Oscars

jericho

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than Creed, Straight Outta Compton, Concussion and Star Wars I am not sure of other movies or roles that black actors and actresses appeared in. It doesn't mean there wasn't quality work done somewhere by black actors and actresses. How does a movie like Danish Girl get found and Eddie Redmayne nominated for Best Actor and any movie starring Idrie Elba isn't a consideration also?

Let me clarify: Hollywood, and all that it stands for, sucks....I hope no one wins any Oscar ever again.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/whoopi-goldberg-loses-it-over-oscar-diversity-203304902.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Things got a little heated on The View when the panel discussed the lack of diversity in this year’s Oscar race. Recently, prominent black voices in cinema such as Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith have called for a boycott of the ceremony. This didn’t sit well with host Whoopi Goldberg. “You know Chris Rock is the host of the Academy Awards,” explained Goldberg, “So to boycott him seems just as bad as what everybody’s saying.”

Guest host Sunny Hostin was quick to point out several statistics relevant to the topic, like the fact that 46% of movie tickets last year were purchased by African-Americans, and that the Academy is 94% Caucasian. But Whoopi did not back down from her point, which was that it falls more on the people making films to create a diverse environment than it does on the Academy that votes. During the conversation, Candace Cameron-Bure seemed to feel a little left out and joked with Joy Behar. Cameron-Bure’s childish act set off Whoopi even more, and she responded, “I talk about God; you gotta talk about these damn movies.” It’s worth noting that Cameron-Bure left the panel after that segment and didn’t return. Whoopi covered for her, saying she was “not feeling well.”

Hostin tried to punctuate the discussion by comparing this Oscar boycott to the Montgomery bus boycott in 1955. Goldberg jumped in one more time. “You wanna boycott something? Don’t go see the movies that don’t have your representation,” said Goldberg. “That’s the boycott you want.”

What were the obvious reasons?

Because I don't buy into what most of the former NFL players say.

They sure took the money and knew what could happen.

I'm not sayin concussions don't happen, but they didn't cause every suicide or murder or death.

Not everything in the movie was accurate either, as is most cases.

I would rather watch Will Smith fight zombies in Legend or kill aliens

Because I don't buy into what most of the former NFL players say.

They sure took the money and knew what could happen.

I'm not sayin concussions don't happen, but they didn't cause every suicide or murder or death.

Not everything in the movie was accurate either, as is most cases.

I would rather watch Will Smith fight zombies in Legend or kill aliens

Gotcha. Honestly I hadn't even heard of that movie until this thread.

Im not sure. I dont keep up with what I watch.

I do know that one thing, there are a lot of white lily people who pay money to go watch movies and thus this is how some like Will Smith got rich.

Maybe if no one went to his movies he may think different if there is no demand for him.

I just read or saw (maybe on Sunday Morning on CBS), I can't remember where for sure, that 50% of movie goers are black.

I just read or saw (maybe on Sunday Morning on CBS), I can't remember where for sure, that 50% of movie goers are black.

50% are black, wow.

That means about 30% are white and 20% are Latino.

So it's the blacks fault that these lily white actors get nominated since they go to more movies than any other race and watch their movies.

Im just a handle stirring the pot, looking to raise blood pressure and tempers.

Post 40

Again, completely over your head. You will never get it. I was waiting for the reverse discrimination crap.

Man did you not read my post on post 40

Can a guy not have some fun here