Should Mike Tomlin be worried?

I know Mike Tomlin is held in high regard by everyone. I also know the Steelers are a very loyal organization to their coaches. However, if the Steelers don't make the playoffs it will be 3 of the last 4 years out of the playoffs for the Steelers. The Steelers have not won a playoff game since 2010. Are the Steelers fans and front office concerned by this? Should Tomlin be concerned? Is he on the hot seat next year?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomlin is far and away the most overrated coach in the NFL (Outside of Jeff Fisher of course). He's average at best, and that's being incredibly generous.

That being said, no chance the Steelers even consider making a move.

I hope the Steelers keep Tomlin.

Is there any chatter among Steelers fans about Tomlin? Are there any fans on the Steeler talk shows or in social media complaining about him? it seems hard to believe with the high standards the Steelers have that people aren't starting to talk based on the performance the last few years.

No.

It's funny, his issues are these:

1. Poor clock manager

2. Tends to play his "gut" too much. Sure he was praised for it for all those 2 pt conversions at the beginning of the season that we all clamored about in a thread here, yet when 4th and 1 in FG range comes and he stuffs it in the middle of the teeth of an 8 man front and essentially takes points "off" the board, well he's a moron.

3. His loyalty to veterans has handicapped this team and team's past. Fact

His attributes:

1. People say he won a superbowl with Cowher's team but forget that Cowher's last team was 8-8

2. Master motivator and player's coach. I'd say that's undisputed.

3. Trusts his guys, often to a fault.

4. Never gets into a war of words, represents his team and organization with class. As opposed to Harbaugh and Rex.

The issues with the Steelers lay more at the feet of Kevin Colbert and his (and whomever helps in that arena) decisions on draft day on the defensive side of the ball. However, as awful as some of those selections have been, his offensive selections have been as good (I'd argue better) than any other in the league.

We can argue the merits of Tomlin all day but he is about as safe as any coach in the NFL not named Belichick...

He would have to go 5-11 or worse next year to be in trouble and that ain't happening with the talent on that offense...

Every single team could use that excuse.

Every year? To all-league type players like Bell, Roethlisberger, Pouncey, DeCastro, Polamalu? When your drafting slips like the Steelers had done for several years, it makes it awful hard to weather losses like that.