Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1998 Middlesboro Yellowjackets

Featured Replies

I was on the breathitt team they beat in game 1. They beat us pretty good. Branham was as good a player as I played against. Skidmore was a great option qb very smart. We were a little down at the start of that year with Chapman transferring to pikeville. Remember it was televised on wymt we were #1 in 2 a and they were #2 in 1 a. Most memorable play was branham blitzing up middle and nearly bending our qb Kyle moore double. That was breathitt s first game in the newest stadium although the roof was not on yet..... Great team.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember 98 Mboro like it was yesterday, one of the best Class 1A Football teams of all time.

Anyone remember that team?

 

 

 

[ATTACH]53896[/ATTACH]

 

Are you serious, NO!!! Never heard of them or the 1998 campaign, completely wiped from my memory bank forever!

How often were state championships played at Old Cardinal Stadium while it was in its baseball configuration? I've never seen that before.

I remember this team VERY well. I was actually in that video. One thing I will disagree with that the guy said is that we had not seen anyone like Middlesboro. What we had not seen was a defensive scheme like they threw at us. It was insane! Back then, Mayfield rarely passed the ball. We were a wishbone off tackle kinda team. They put 8 guys on the line of scrimmage, and blitzed the MLB every snap! We simply could not block all of em! What really made it tough was the 2-3 little guys that would time the snap and shoot a gap. Those suckers were in the backfield immediately. I will never forget the coaches yelling "You gotta block down!!!!!".

Saying all that, I will give them all the credit they deserve. Very good team, and what I remember as good sportsmen!

Also, the kicker was UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I was on the breathitt team they beat in game 1. They beat us pretty good. Branham was as good a player as I played against. Skidmore was a great option qb very smart. We were a little down at the start of that year with Chapman transferring to pikeville. Remember it was televised on wymt we were #1 in 2 a and they were #2 in 1 a. Most memorable play was branham blitzing up middle and nearly bending our qb Kyle moore double. That was breathitt s first game in the newest stadium although the roof was not on yet..... Great team.

 

Wrong year that 1999. They were in 2A that season.

Wrong year that 1999. They were in 2A that season.

 

No it was in 1998 when we played them. Then in 99 Middleboro moved up to 2a. Look at the schedule in the original post and you will see that breathitt clearly played them the 1st game of the season. In 99 branham and wynn were gone but they still have skidmore. Also Moore was not qb in 99 he had graduated and Allen Sperry was qb.

They were so fast in the state game at shooting the gaps that my brother couldn't even get the ball playing full back. They had a great defensive scheme that game.

No it was in 1998 when we played them. Then in 99 Middleboro moved up to 2a. Look at the schedule in the original post and you will see that breathitt clearly played them the 1st game of the season. In 99 branham and wynn were gone but they still have skidmore. Also Moore was not qb in 99 he had graduated and Allen Sperry was qb.

 

 

Breathitt has never been in class A.

  • Author
Breathitt has never been in class A.
No but Middlesboro was in 1998
Breathitt has never been in class A.

 

I realize that but it does not mean we didn't play a 1a team. Looks like your a bell co fan they have never been 1a but used to play Middleboro every year. Look at the schedule in the opening post. Why would I lie about getting beat???????

Middlesboro was my introduction into Class A Football ...

I remember a nice evening at Pikeville in the 3rd round ...

At halftime it was 28 to 28 (or 28 to 26) ... Pikeville worked their tails off to pull it close at the half.

 

Next thing you know .. at the end of the 3rd quarter ... it was 78 to 28 (or something along those lines).

 

I am 99.9999% sure they ran a quadruple reverse that night ... and it was a thing of beauty.

 

To this day ... that was the fastest football team that I have seen in Kentucky.

Dustin Wynn was one of the best kickers I have ever seen ...Floyd Branum ... wow.

Was the QB's name Skidmore or something like that?

Not to mention David Kelly.

 

Great team ... I would love to see that Pikeville game again (at least ... the 3rd quarter).

  • Author

If I recall correctly it was 28-28 at the half. When the 2nd half started Middlesboro scored about 5 times in the first 2 or 3 minutes, and put up 50 points total in the 3rd quarter. :eek:

How often were state championships played at Old Cardinal Stadium while it was in its baseball configuration? I've never seen that before.

 

UofL football moved into Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium in 98 so there was not a need to cover the dirt portions of the field or tear down outfield wall.

I remember very well.

 

I remember how they put 8 or 9 in the box and completely shut us down in the first half.

I've always wondered if Mayfield had a spread offense at the time if it might have been different.

Their kicker was the best I've ever seen in high school .

It was Paul Leahy's last game as coach.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.