1998 Middlesboro Yellowjackets

Watusi

The 1998 Middlesboro Yellowjackets was one of the best football teams in EKY in the last 20 years, and one of the best Class A teams I ever watched play. They were 14-1 and outscored their opponents 703-171. That defense was nasty.

Anyone remember that team?

98 Jackets.JPG

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Floyd Branham was a monster. That's what i remember about that team.
First thing I thought of too. Branham was a head hunter from the MLB position.

Second thing I remembered was the dismantling of Pikeville in the regional game. That was the point I thought they had a real shot at Beechwood and Mayfield.

That Class A title game was a good one to watch. I remember them getting a big first half lead and then holding on.

That Class A title game was a good one to watch. I remember them getting a big first half lead and then holding on.

The first half of the Middlesboro/Mayfield game was a defensive domination by the Yellowjackets. Branham seemed to make every tackle that afternoon. I don't remember many names, but they had a couple other good linebackers that were also good running backs. I believe they also had a kicker with a really strong leg.

The first half of the Middlesboro/Mayfield game was a defensive domination by the Yellowjackets. Branham seemed to make every tackle that afternoon. I don't remember many names, but they had a couple other good linebackers that were also good running backs. I believe they also had a kicker with a really strong leg.

Guessing the kicker was Wynn

Seemed like they had a Kelly that was a really good RB

Yup..David Kelley was the back and Dustin Wynn the Kicker

1998 CLASS A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

Friday, Dec. 4

Cardinal Stadium

Kentucky Fair & Expo Center

Louisville

Score By Quarters 1 2 3 4 Final

Mayfield 0 0 6 0 6

Middlesboro 7 13 0 7 27

Scoring Summary:

(1) 3:36 MID-David Kelley 5-yard run (Dustin Wynn kick); (2) 10:37 MID-Wynn 33-yard FG, 7:22 MID-Scott Powell 60-yard run (Wynn kick), 1:16 MID-Wynn 32-yard FG; (3) 0:15 MAY-Bo Neely 14-yard run (kick failed); (4) 1:51 MID-Powell 54-yard run (Wynn kick).

Attendance: 6,170

Time of Game: 2:12

Officials: Tony Backer, Stan Weihe, James T. Bryan, William Davis, Tommy Walsh.

Temp: 69; Wind: S5 mph; Weather: Clear & Sunny

Mayfield Middlesboro

Score 6 20

First Downs 12 9

Rushes-Yards (NET) 30-126 32-158

Passing-Yards (NET) 85 85

Passes (A-C-I) 12-6-1 5-2-0

TOTAL OFF PLAYS (YARDS) 45-211 37-243

Fumble Returns-Yards 0-0 0-0

Punt Returns-Yards 1-8 1-6

Kickoff Returns-Yards 3-40 2-38

Interception Ret-Yards 0-0 1-0

Punts (Number-Avg.) 3-31.3 2-33.0

Fumbles-Lost 2-0 5-2

Penalties-Yards 0-0 1-16

Possession Time 18:36 17:14

Yes, the kicker was Dustin Wynn. Dang good one who is in the record books I think. Kicked a bunch of field goals.

The QB was named Skidmore or Sizemore

One of the backs was a Kelly

I don't remember the other LB names, just #53 being all over the field.

By the way, the Middlesboro/Mayfield final was the first state final game I ever saw. I was a senior in high school and my dad checked me out of school and we went that Friday afternoon. We also watched the Danville/Caldwell County AA final afterwards (another classic for another thread). That started a tradition of going to the state championship games we've followed almost every year since.

Good recollection. Seeing a kicker that good was pretty rare at that time.

Very true.

If you can say one thing about the emergence of Soccer in Kentucky, it has drastically changed the kicking game. Used to be everyone had that boot to kick straight ahead, now even the lesser programs have a soccer style kicker it seems.

I literally was thinking about this the other day with all the All-State stuff going on. There are probably 25 kickers in Kentucky who would have been considered Top 5 in the State 10-12 years ago