Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1998 Middlesboro Yellowjackets

Featured Replies

The 1998 Middlesboro Yellowjackets was one of the best football teams in EKY in the last 20 years, and one of the best Class A teams I ever watched play. They were 14-1 and outscored their opponents 703-171. That defense was nasty.

 

Anyone remember that team?

 

 

 

98 Jackets.JPG

  • Replies 41
  • Views 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Floyd Branham was a monster. That's what i remember about that team.

As a side note I miss Middlesboro's jerseys. used to have one of the sharpest, most distinct, and recognizable jerseys in Kentucky.

Great defensive team. Floyd was a beast. I met him years later. Good first impression on me.

  • Author
Floyd Branham was a monster. That's what i remember about that team.
First thing I thought of too. Branham was a head hunter from the MLB position.

 

Second thing I remembered was the dismantling of Pikeville in the regional game. That was the point I thought they had a real shot at Beechwood and Mayfield.

 

That Class A title game was a good one to watch. I remember them getting a big first half lead and then holding on.

That Class A title game was a good one to watch. I remember them getting a big first half lead and then holding on.

 

The first half of the Middlesboro/Mayfield game was a defensive domination by the Yellowjackets. Branham seemed to make every tackle that afternoon. I don't remember many names, but they had a couple other good linebackers that were also good running backs. I believe they also had a kicker with a really strong leg.

The first half of the Middlesboro/Mayfield game was a defensive domination by the Yellowjackets. Branham seemed to make every tackle that afternoon. I don't remember many names, but they had a couple other good linebackers that were also good running backs. I believe they also had a kicker with a really strong leg.

 

Guessing the kicker was Wynn

 

Seemed like they had a Kelly that was a really good RB

Yup..David Kelley was the back and Dustin Wynn the Kicker

 

1998 CLASS A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

 

Friday, Dec. 4

 

Cardinal Stadium

 

Kentucky Fair & Expo Center

 

Louisville

Score By Quarters 1 2 3 4 Final

Mayfield 0 0 6 0 6

Middlesboro 7 13 0 7 27

Scoring Summary:

 

(1) 3:36 MID-David Kelley 5-yard run (Dustin Wynn kick); (2) 10:37 MID-Wynn 33-yard FG, 7:22 MID-Scott Powell 60-yard run (Wynn kick), 1:16 MID-Wynn 32-yard FG; (3) 0:15 MAY-Bo Neely 14-yard run (kick failed); (4) 1:51 MID-Powell 54-yard run (Wynn kick).

Attendance: 6,170

 

Time of Game: 2:12

 

Officials: Tony Backer, Stan Weihe, James T. Bryan, William Davis, Tommy Walsh.

 

Temp: 69; Wind: S5 mph; Weather: Clear & Sunny

Mayfield Middlesboro

Score 6 20

First Downs 12 9

Rushes-Yards (NET) 30-126 32-158

Passing-Yards (NET) 85 85

Passes (A-C-I) 12-6-1 5-2-0

TOTAL OFF PLAYS (YARDS) 45-211 37-243

Fumble Returns-Yards 0-0 0-0

Punt Returns-Yards 1-8 1-6

Kickoff Returns-Yards 3-40 2-38

Interception Ret-Yards 0-0 1-0

Punts (Number-Avg.) 3-31.3 2-33.0

Fumbles-Lost 2-0 5-2

Penalties-Yards 0-0 1-16

Possession Time 18:36 17:14

Scott Powell was the other good back they had

Scott Powell was the other good back they had

 

I was thinking the last name was Powell but couldn't pull out a first name. Thanks!

Guessing the kicker was Wynn

 

Good recollection. Seeing a kicker that good was pretty rare at that time.

  • Author
The first half of the Middlesboro/Mayfield game was a defensive domination by the Yellowjackets. Branham seemed to make every tackle that afternoon. I don't remember many names, but they had a couple other good linebackers that were also good running backs. I believe they also had a kicker with a really strong leg.

Yes, the kicker was Dustin Wynn. Dang good one who is in the record books I think. Kicked a bunch of field goals.

 

The QB was named Skidmore or Sizemore

One of the backs was a Kelly

 

I don't remember the other LB names, just #53 being all over the field.

  • Author

^ I'm too slow, LOL

By the way, the Middlesboro/Mayfield final was the first state final game I ever saw. I was a senior in high school and my dad checked me out of school and we went that Friday afternoon. We also watched the Danville/Caldwell County AA final afterwards (another classic for another thread). That started a tradition of going to the state championship games we've followed almost every year since.

Good recollection. Seeing a kicker that good was pretty rare at that time.

 

Very true.

 

If you can say one thing about the emergence of Soccer in Kentucky, it has drastically changed the kicking game. Used to be everyone had that boot to kick straight ahead, now even the lesser programs have a soccer style kicker it seems.

 

I literally was thinking about this the other day with all the All-State stuff going on. There are probably 25 kickers in Kentucky who would have been considered Top 5 in the State 10-12 years ago

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.