August 12, 200620 yr I saw Hatteburg bunt, but I almost think he may have done that on his own. Hollandsworth made a nice play in RF, but dear lord, he whiffed 3x with runners on base. I woke up today and am still fuming over the idea of walking Howard. Sure there is a chance of him hitting a HR...but it doesn't matter, it is still only as good as a single. They got away with it against the Braves the other night, but they had the last at bat if it would have went awry. Look at everything that changes once you load them up. Infield has to play in, you bring in your outfield. The percentages just change so much in that situation defensively. Balk? Wild Pitch? Blooper that goes 95 feet for a hit. It should have never gotten that far, but he overmanaged.
August 12, 200620 yr I saw Hatteburg bunt, but I almost think he may have done that on his own. Hollandsworth made a nice play in RF, but dear lord, he whiffed 3x with runners on base. I woke up today and am still fuming over the idea of walking Howard. Sure there is a chance of him hitting a HR...but it doesn't matter, it is still only as good as a single. They got away with it against the Braves the other night, but they had the last at bat if it would have went awry. Look at everything that changes once you load them up. Infield has to play in, you bring in your outfield. The percentages just change so much in that situation defensively. Balk? Wild Pitch? Blooper that goes 95 feet for a hit. It should have never gotten that far, but he overmanaged. Howard didn't need a HR to win the game. A single would have won it as well...
August 12, 200620 yr True...a hit, be it for a HR, gap shot or flare meets the same ending, and I mentioned that..a HR is as good as a single in that situation. But the percentages are more in your favor to get out of an inning with 2 on and none out, with Howard batting, than bases drunk and no outs.
August 12, 200620 yr True...a hit, be it for a HR, gap shot or flare meets the same ending, and I mentioned that..a HR is as good as a single in that situation. But the percentages are more in your favor to get out of an inning with 2 on and none out, with Howard batting, than bases drunk and no outs. In almost all cases I agree. But Howard is mashing, and EZ is throwing BP. The game was over after the first two reached. The rest was semantics...
August 12, 200620 yr If Rowand hits into a DP, Narron would be a genious. He took the bat out of Howard's hands and made the Pitcher and an average hitter beat them. But instead they lose and everybody 2nd guess the manager. If Howard gets a game winning hit there would be some on here asking why they pitched to him.
August 12, 200620 yr Freel or maybe Hatte... Freel could get the key role in the Bug's Bunny cartoon. !st base-Ryan Freel ,2nd base Ryan Freel. Freel is simply amazing. I hope his toughness catches fire with the rest of the guys.
August 12, 200620 yr The Reds lost because Griffey, Dunn, and Phillips were 0-17. Period. All 3 of those guys had numerous chances to blow it open. Eddie need to slam the door on that one, but he had been 7 for 7 so it is hard to get on him too hard. Hollandsworth made a super catch, but looked like he was pressing at the dish. The bully needed to step up in the 8th and 9th and didn't, that, combined with the Dunn, Griff, BP stats I listed above were the difference. I'd have walked Howard in the 14th and not thought twice about it. He got the pitcher and just needed to make quality pitches to Rowand, he didn't, game over.
August 12, 200620 yr We are stuck with LaRue, and yes he is by far our best defensive catcher. I think in the 8 hole in that lineup we'd be able to absorb how bad he is at the plate. As for Dunn, he is hitting .320 since the break and his OBP is through the roof. I love BP, but I think he's a better option at the bottom of the order right now... Hatte 2nd. Jr batting 3rd is getting to be quite a stretch. How about Dunn 3rd and Jr down around the 6th spot. 123 in the top half, Griffey looks at strike 3.
August 12, 200620 yr When will the Reds management give up on Ramirez? He is basically killing us right now.
August 12, 200620 yr It also seems like Junior missed those 2 catches on purpose, like he is trying to make Ramirez look bad or something.
August 12, 200620 yr In almost all cases I agree. But Howard is mashing, and EZ is throwing BP. The game was over after the first two reached. The rest was semantics... You are giving Ryan Howard too much credit. He's not god. He coulod have grounded out, stuck out, or flown out.
August 12, 200620 yr When will the Reds management give up on Ramirez? He is basically killing us right now. So our third pitcher from a month ago should be optioned? cut? Maybe we can get rid of Bronson too since he's struggling. Ryan Franklin and Joe Mays can start.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.