Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Which part of the State produces the best basketball talent?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 67
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have missed a person here or there, but I came up with 18 current D1 players from 7th region school, followed by 16 from the 11th and 8 from the 9th. No other region had more than 4.

 

I included players who played some years in Ky and some out of state. Players who transferred in state I used their first school. Those could skew numbers a little, but I don't think it will be a huge impact overall.

Also, I checked for the list I had from 3 years ago, and the only major change is that the 9th only had 2. The 2nd region (5) was the only region other than 7 and 11 with more than 4.

 

Those numbers seem to support what I believe most people would think. Louisville is easily first, followed by Lexington.

If we are evaluating based on level of college attainment I can tell you it's not NKY. Exceptions, of course, abound but D2/D3/NAIA is what we put out as a rule.

 

No shame in that. It's still fun basketball that has had state success over the last 10 years or so.

It's not the easiest thing in the world to calculate. I'll grant first that I'm biased as a guy who grew up in and still tries his best to follow the Seventh Region.

 

But the size of Louisville will skew a lot of those numbers. Nearly a fifth of the state's population lives in Jefferson County alone, to say nothing of certain areas of the near surrounding counties that exist as exurbs of the city itself and huge numbers of their citizens come into Jefferson to work.

 

Of course the Louisville area is going to produce a lot of basketball talent given that size.

 

It's also true that the population advantage means talented kids play each other very early and only get better and better. There are a lot of resources for improvement in Jefferson County and a wealth of good coaches.

Louisville area. Duh.

It would probably be the three populated centers, Louisville, then Lexington, then NKY.

Not saying it's the best, but the 9th and 10th regions have both produced some VERY good players over the past 15 years

NBA and ABA Players by region (current):

7th-26

11th-11

2nd-9

4th-9

3rd-7

1st-6

9th-5

8th-4

6th-3

10th-3

13th-3

14th-3

16th-3

5th-1

12th-1

15th-1

 

I used the region I believe the school would play in now for schools no longer in existance (except Thomas Jefferson who I have no idea about, so I used the region they played in).

NBA and ABA Players by region (current):

7th-26

11th-11

2nd-9

4th-9

3rd-7

1st-6

9th-5

8th-4

6th-3

10th-3

13th-3

14th-3

16th-3

5th-1

12th-1

15th-1

 

I used the region I believe the school would play in now for schools no longer in existance (except Thomas Jefferson who I have no idea about, so I used the region they played in).

 

Who was the most recent 9th region NBA player?

I used the region I believe the school would play in now for schools no longer in existance (except Thomas Jefferson who I have no idea about, so I used the region they played in).

 

The old Thomas Jefferson High School in Louisville? I'm not old enough to remember why it closed but it was in the Newburg neighborhood and shut down in the early 80s. It's right on the line between the 6th and 7th regions here in town.

The old Thomas Jefferson High School in Louisville? I'm not old enough to remember why it closed but it was in the Newburg neighborhood and shut down in the early 80s. It's right on the line between the 6th and 7th regions here in town.

 

It closed when a few others in Louisville closed, right? Westport, Stuart, Thomas Jefferson, seems like there was another one or two. I'm guessing it was a situation of Jefferson County doing some consolidation while also getting rid of some older infrastructure.

It closed when a few others in Louisville closed, right? Westport, Stuart, Thomas Jefferson, seems like there was another one or two. I'm guessing it was a situation of Jefferson County doing some consolidation while also getting rid of some older infrastructure.

 

It was less consolidation than restructuring if it happened as part of that. Westport closed because they had specifically opened Ballard in the early 70s to serve that area and made Westport a middle school. Same with Stuart. Thomas Jefferson is now also a middle school.

Who was the most recent 9th region NBA player?

 

Cowens

The old Thomas Jefferson High School in Louisville? I'm not old enough to remember why it closed but it was in the Newburg neighborhood and shut down in the early 80s. It's right on the line between the 6th and 7th regions here in town.

 

That's the one. They made the state tournament from the 6th region, so I went with that.

 

Why is there such discrepancy between the 6th and 7th regions?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.