Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bowling Green vs. St. Xavier

Featured Replies

BG has a lot of returning talent and St. X started nearly all seniors. Does that make BG a favorite in this game? Or will St. X just reload and mow the Purples down? Will BG lay another egg like they did in the finals? Will X play their normal ho hum game when they have to travel to WKY?

 

Long story short, this game is hard to figure. Your thoughts?

  • Replies 70
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would like to see Bowling Green win, this game I think St Xavier will dominate this game especially in the second half.

I think there are legitimate questions as to whether Bowling Green's defense is as good as last year's unit, particularly up front. The Purples have to hold St. Xavier to two touchdowns or less to pull off the win.

Bowling Green would be hard-pressed to match their defense of a year ago. Many predicted the demise and destruction of Bowling Green by St X last year and it never materialized. Turnovers will determine the outcome.

I think there are legitimate questions as to whether Bowling Green's defense is as good as last year's unit, particularly up front. The Purples have to hold St. Xavier to two touchdowns or less to pull off the win.

 

That may be a challenge with Vic returning. I have heard some good things(well depending on your perspective ;) ) about the underclassmen running backs coming up this year and it sounds like the running game won't miss a beat. The biggest thing St.x will need to make up for is the loss of Curley. That kid was a leader like I haven't seen at St.x since before I graduated from Trinity. That kid knew how to play hard and win; and he knew how to lead his teammates and get the most out of them.

 

I am unsure about the lines they have returning, their lines were amazing last year, but I really haven't seen anything to make me think they won't be at least pretty good this upcoming season.

Early is always the best time to X, as they reload every year and have on occasion shot a dud or two early on. I expect St X to win, but a loss would not be earthshattering nor would it eliminate them from being a 4A champion contender.

Early is always the best time to X, as they reload every year and have on occasion shot a dud or two early on. I expect St X to win, but a loss would not be earthshattering nor would it eliminate them from being a 4A champion contender.

 

I think it would be better to play X later on in the season verses the begining. I don't think they would have beaten LexCath in late Sept. or after (30 something point turn -around between the two games, unbeliveable). The Trinity games are also another example of what I'm talking about. They seem to stay on the same level on D, but the O loses it's mojo.

I think it would be better to play X later on in the season verses the begining. I don't think they would have beaten LexCath in late Sept. or after (30 something point turn -around between the two games, unbeliveable). The Trinity games are also another example of what I'm talking about. They seem to stay on the same level on D, but the O loses it's mojo.

 

That really is a misunderstanding of x's play. They tend to be senior heavy and so the first few games for them are the new players getting mroe comfortable in their roles and getting the kinks out before district play begins. They also add more to the offense as the season goes on, their first few games have a very limited number of offensive plays used.

 

Their defense still spectacular last fall to. We put up 41 on Henry Clay the week before and put up only 14 on St.x. The biggest difference in the state game was our level of play. Their D did not stagnate at all, OURS improved drastically as did our line play. Their offense was still excellent they put up 62 on Warren Central the week before they played us in state. It should also be noted that we knocked out their starting QB earlier in that game as well, that hurt them quite a bit as well, plus the fact that our players never quit in that game. We came into that game with more heart plain and simple. That is no knock on the quality of their play. I honestly don't think ANY team in the state would have stopped us that day, our kids were on a mission.

 

St.x got much better as the season went on last year, however so did we.

That may be a challenge with Vic returning. I have heard some good things(well depending on your perspective ;) ) about the underclassmen running backs coming up this year and it sounds like the running game won't miss a beat. The biggest thing St.x will need to make up for is the loss of Curley. That kid was a leader like I haven't seen at St.x since before I graduated from Trinity. That kid knew how to play hard and win; and he knew how to lead his teammates and get the most out of them.

 

I am unsure about the lines they have returning, their lines were amazing last year, but I really haven't seen anything to make me think they won't be at least pretty good this upcoming season.

St. Xavier's offense had very little success against Bowling Green last year. Of the Tigers' two scores, one was set up by a long pass (a blown coverage) and the other was set up by a BG fumble at their own 20.
St. Xavier's offense had very little success against Bowling Green last year. Of the Tigers' two scores, one was set up by a long pass (a blown coverage) and the other was set up by a BG fumble at their own 20.

 

 

But if BGs lines have graduated then that will work in x's favor. Or did I misread something on that?

Bowling Green's defensive front was very good last season, but the speed and pursuit of the linebackers and secondary was the key. Those guys are back this season. St. Xavier may be able to play a little more ball-control, but I don't see them just ramming the ball down BG's throat. Last year, they had very little success running the ball, and Curley was awful against BG's pass rush.

But if BGs lines have graduated then that will work in x's favor. Or did I misread something on that?

I thought it was X's lines that graduated? In saying that....I think Bowling Green only returns 3-4 starters on defense.

That really is a misunderstanding of x's play. They tend to be senior heavy and so the first few games for them are the new players getting mroe comfortable in their roles and getting the kinks out before district play begins. They also add more to the offense as the season goes on, their first few games have a very limited number of offensive plays used.

 

Their defense still spectacular last fall to. We put up 41 on Henry Clay the week before and put up only 14 on St.x. The biggest difference in the state game was our level of play. Their D did not stagnate at all, OURS improved drastically as did our line play. Their offense was still excellent they put up 62 on Warren Central the week before they played us in state. It should also be noted that we knocked out their starting QB earlier in that game as well, that hurt them quite a bit as well, plus the fact that our players never quit in that game. We came into that game with more heart plain and simple. That is no knock on the quality of their play. I honestly don't think ANY team in the state would have stopped us that day, our kids were on a mission.

 

St.x got much better as the season went on last year, however so did we.

 

Absolute perfect post. PLD I promise playing X late is not what anyone wants to do.....You should look at their record in the first 5 games of the season in the last 10-15 seasons, compared to their lat 5....I bet you'd see a difference.

Absolute perfect post. PLD I promise playing X late is not what anyone wants to do.....You should look at their record in the first 5 games of the season in the last 10-15 seasons, compared to their lat 5....I bet you'd see a difference.

 

They also barely excaped the Hardin team. My post wasn't downing X because like T, they're a great team. I was saying that their O does or has slowed down a bit as the season goes on. Maybe it is the Gauntlet district that is the cause. X will probably always have one of the state's top Defensive units, but the offense, especially without that O-line they had last year and the QB, may suffer this year. This will be the year where they suffer early because of their harsh schedule, but get better and stronger late.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.