November 25, 201510 yr ESPN's Bomani Jones Cuts Straight To The Heart Of The Laquan McDonald Killing Bomani Jones talked a bit today about the black on black crime discussion that always pops up after these type of things come to light. He went on to explain the phenomenon of people suddenly conjuring concern about black-on-black crime after police killings are publicized, including blacks who cling to respectability politics, before smacking down anyone who would attempt to explain this unjustifiable murder as anything but. Here’s a particularly powerful passage from Jones ... The whole video isn't that long and well worth a listen if you truly want a better understanding of the issues. Bomani Jones is precisely right. He's not sugarcoating anything to make it more palatable either.
November 25, 201510 yr Are there ever city wide protests in Chicago regarding the violence and murders that don't involve police? It's not hard to see that everyone takes the very few police involved shootings much more seriously than the rest of the murders in this country. The media, protestors, BGP...everyone. Not to my knowledge but ironically this cop shooting this kid and the police department covering it up may actually be something that brings the black community closer together and. Any actually curb some black on black violence. Not that you or the captain really cares......
November 25, 201510 yr Bomani Jones is precisely right. He's not sugarcoating anything to make it more palatable either. Bo doesn't sugarcoat anything for anyone. I hate him and love him at the same time. :lol2:
November 25, 201510 yr Are there ever city wide protests in Chicago regarding the violence and murders that don't involve police? It's not hard to see that everyone takes the very few police involved shootings much more seriously than the rest of the murders in this country. The media, protestors, BGP...everyone. Every murder is wrong, no doubt. However, why wouldn't murders that involve police receive more scrutiny than those that don't? Police are supposed to protect. It's similar to how molestation in which the perp is a teacher or priest receives more attention than the average Joe. All molestation is bad, but I have no problem with those that are committed by teachers (my profession) receiving more scrutiny. In either situation, the crime (murder/molestation) makes it more difficult for the overwhelmingly good cops, teachers and priests to do their job, due to mistrust.
November 25, 201510 yr I'm just reading what you're typing. No, you are trying to interpret what I am typing.
November 25, 201510 yr Seems like the only time some white people mention black on black violence is when it benefits their argument. Sad and depressing. But I'm clueless. Get the hell out of here..........
November 25, 201510 yr Just because you're not a racist and I'm not one... It doesn't mean blacks should trust police. There's a really good chance that the white cop that did this isn't a "racist"... But he made a bad mistake and it was compounded that the kid he killed was black.... Again, a long history cannot be ignored... Long before Rodney King, the kid up in Cleveland, etc, etc... It just can't be ignored. I am not black and I'm assuming you are not. If you're not, you have to admit that you and I have no real world experience to compare to the blacks that don't trust police. It's really that simple. We have no right to tell them how we think they should feel. I'm not ignoring it. I agree there is a history. I'm just saying every white/black shooting, cop involved or not is not a racist act. Until we can get past that point, there will be no moving forward.
November 25, 201510 yr False. I lived in Chicago for a year. How long did you live there? I still have friends in Chicago that I speak with on occasion. How many black friends do you have currently living on the South Side of Chicago that you speak with? You have no idea how "clueless" I am. Just because you know my real name doesn't mean you know squat about me. Obviously. And just because you know my real name doesn't mean you know diddly about me. I have friends from the South side of of Chicago. I have a very close friend that is from Gary, Ind. It's as bad or worse than the South side of Chicago. His family still lives there. So, maybe I have a little bit more of a clue than you think I have.
November 25, 201510 yr HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!! I'm just glad we can argue on here and I won't have to tomorrow. :lol2:
November 25, 201510 yr Seems like the only time some white people mention black on black violence is when it benefits their argument. Sad and depressing. But I'm clueless. Get the hell out of here.......... Or some want to bring up black on white crime. Did you catch O'Reilly last night? He was supposed to talk about the Chicago shooting, which he did all of 5 seconds, then went right to his guests and brought up two totally different crimes, both were black on white.
November 25, 201510 yr Boy, does this kind of issue bring out the ugly in people...especially anonymous keyboard jockeys. I'm so disturbed by the level of support that people are willing to give a cop who shot a kid once, downed him, then proceeded to shoot him 15 more times. Maybe 2 or 3 more times could be understood. But 15? And then attempt to reload?! There's an old adage: Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. This is why. Even IF the kid was a threat in the beginning, that threat was visibly neutralized well before the 15th shot. Then there's the whole "He obviously snapped or was under stress" crap. Where is that sympathy for normal people when confronted by police? Just because there's a badge on one man's (or woman's) chest, doesn't make them any more or less prone to stress. A cop's job IS stressful. But so is an ER doctor's or a teacher's...both of whom are also likely to encounter dangerous behavior by those they serve. Should either empty a clip into their patient or student? NO. Maybe if a cop can't handle the stress, they consider a less stressful position in LE or they find another job. Isn't that what the advice is for teachers who mention what stress they are under? In the end, I am appalled by the machismo that will defend such actions at the expense of justice. In the end, JUSTICE is what should be the goal. That doesn't mean bad guys don't get shot. It means police goals should not be killing. There is every indication this cop wasn't satisfied with either neutralizing a threat or killing the kid. He was trying to send some sort of power tripping message. As to protesting black on black violence, protests don't do crap to stop violence. Grassroots WORK is what has an effect. And you don't hear about it because it's slow moving, it's small changes, one person at a time, one community at a time. And there are ebbs of progression and digression. Media doesn't have time for that. ***Sheesh!**** This thread has ticked me off.
November 25, 201510 yr Edit I've been trying to avoid these threads. I'm going to start trying harder by deleting these last two posts. Edited November 25, 201510 yr by halfback20
November 25, 201510 yr Add the mayor in on that. As I posted earlier, that you completely ignored, is that a $5 million dollar payout doesn't happen without his knowledge. The Administration is the one that kept this quiet. We can blame the PD all day, but the payout was authorized by the City Council of Chicago, not the PD. Let's be honest. Emanuel, et al. decision makers of the city paid off the family with it being on the heels of Ferguson. Chicago has received tons of criticism for being a crime haven under Emanuel and had it come out a few weeks after Mike Brown it would have been a death blow. Still may be.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.