Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Will Chicago turn into Ferguson after video released

Featured Replies

And just because you know my real name doesn't mean you know diddly about me.

 

I have friends from the South side of of Chicago. I have a very close friend that is from Gary, Ind. It's as bad or worse than the South side of Chicago. His family still lives there.

 

So, maybe I have a little bit more of a clue than you think I have.

 

Awesome. Black friends? I'd sure love to hear their thoughts and opinions on your thoughts and posts in this thread.

  • Replies 257
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not ignoring it. I agree there is a history.

 

I'm just saying every white/black shooting, cop involved or not is not a racist act. Until we can get past that point, there will be no moving forward.

 

But it's not being viewed by most as just "a racist act"... It's not a white guy killing a black guy... It is yet another white cop killing a black kid...

 

The "police" part of this makes it a national story.

But it's not being viewed by most as just "a racist act"... It's not a white guy killing a black guy... It is yet another white cop killing a black kid...

 

The "police" part of this makes it a national story.

 

Do you realize how many other people have been killed by police in the year since this happened? Most never make the news. Some were terrible like this one and they still didn't make the news.

 

I get the entire racial divide in this country. In this day and age, IMO, both sides are to blame in keeping it front and center without trying to come to a common ground.

Do you realize how many other people have been killed by police in the year since this happened? Most never make the news. Some were terrible like this one and they still didn't make the news.

 

I get the entire racial divide in this country. In this day and age, IMO, both sides are to blame in keeping it front and center without trying to come to a common ground.

 

I realize it ofcourse... There haven't been many accused of murder though... Not many that involved unloading a clip into a kid on the ground either.

 

Being a cop is hard. I have a buddy who is now a retired cop. He almost killed a kid that had a crescent wrench once. It was dark and he was responding to a call that said the kid had a gun... The person that called it in lied about the gun.

 

My buddy said that he told the kid to freeze and drop it...he didn't drop it and was about 40 feet away in the dark. As my friend was about to pull the trigger "literally" and waste the kid, just enough street light hit the kid's hand where he could tell it wasn't a gun... So, he didn't shoot and calmly got the kid to drop the wrench... Being a cop is hard, bad things happen. It would've happened to my friend if he hadn't waited a split second longer.

 

Point is, the video shows us that the cop in this case was way out of bounds.

 

He talked to me about this case and said if he knew it was a knife...no way does he unload a clip. That's just his opinion ofcourse.

I realize it ofcourse... There haven't been many accused of murder though... Not many that involved unloading a clip into a kid on the ground either.

 

Being a cop is hard. I have a buddy who is now a retired cop. He almost killed a kid that had a crescent wrench once. It was dark and he was responding to a call that said the kid had a gun... The person that called it in lied about the gun.

 

My buddy said that he told the kid to freeze and drop it...he didn't drop it and was about 40 feet away in the dark. As my friend was about to pull the trigger "literally" and waste the kid, just enough street light hit the kid's hand where he could tell it wasn't a gun... So, he didn't shoot and calmly got the kid to drop the wrench... Being a cop is hard, bad things happen. It would've happened to my friend if he hadn't waited a split second longer.

 

Point is, the video shows us that the cop in this case was way out of bounds.

 

He talked to me about this case and said if he knew it was a knife...no way does he unload a clip. That's just his opinion ofcourse.

 

I work in LE. I think this cop was out of bounds. You can check my posts. I have never defended him.

 

I was talking about something completely different.

I work in LE. I think this cop was out of bounds. You can check my posts. I have never defended him.

 

I was talking about something completely different.

 

Fair enough.

I made a earlier post about stress the officer might have been under. I was not trying to find an excuse just trying to understand why.

 

If respond to every white cop on black shooting thread with ...."dang cops a racist pig" that might get me 5 or 10 likes but its simply not the case everytime a shooting occurs.

 

I post about using common sense a lot, and common sense tells me the guy is guilty and will spend a long time in jail. I'm just trying to understand so maybe this can be prevented in the future ,not making an excuse.

 

The only way to prevent a white cop from shooting a black person is to not have then provide policing services where large populations of black people live. That's not possible, but its more common sense.

 

If the DOJ ever needed to go into a city it's Chicago. The whole timeline of this really bothers me. I smell some rats.

 

Ok now back to bron bron go cavs. ;)

Boy, does this kind of issue bring out the ugly in people...especially anonymous keyboard jockeys.

 

I'm so disturbed by the level of support that people are willing to give a cop who shot a kid once, downed him, then proceeded to shoot him 15 more times. Maybe 2 or 3 more times could be understood. But 15? And then attempt to reload?!

There's an old adage: Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. This is why. Even IF the kid was a threat in the beginning, that threat was visibly neutralized well before the 15th shot.

 

Then there's the whole "He obviously snapped or was under stress" crap. Where is that sympathy for normal people when confronted by police? Just because there's a badge on one man's (or woman's) chest, doesn't make them any more or less prone to stress. A cop's job IS stressful. But so is an ER doctor's or a teacher's...both of whom are also likely to encounter dangerous behavior by those they serve. Should either empty a clip into their patient or student? NO. Maybe if a cop can't handle the stress, they consider a less stressful position in LE or they find another job. Isn't that what the advice is for teachers who mention what stress they are under?

 

In the end, I am appalled by the machismo that will defend such actions at the expense of justice. In the end, JUSTICE is what should be the goal. That doesn't mean bad guys don't get shot. It means police goals should not be killing. There is every indication this cop wasn't satisfied with either neutralizing a threat or killing the kid. He was trying to send some sort of power tripping message.

 

As to protesting black on black violence, protests don't do crap to stop violence. Grassroots WORK is what has an effect. And you don't hear about it because it's slow moving, it's small changes, one person at a time, one community at a time. And there are ebbs of progression and digression. Media doesn't have time for that.

 

***Sheesh!**** This thread has ticked me off.

 

I haven't read the entire thread but I have not heard of anyone defending this cop. Everyone I have actually talked to about this universally was horrified by the video. One shot in that instance seemed like too much to me...16 is insane. That looked like an execution to me. The cop needs to go to jail and the city leaders have a lot of explaining to do for the delays. Unlike Ferguson, I applaud the people protesting this non-sense. Ferguson was based on bad info IMO. This was not IMO.

Question.

 

If the officer had fire one shot, just one shot, would it still be murder?

Question.

 

If the officer had fire one shot, just one shot, would it still be murder?

 

If the kid was charging them with real threat, I say shoot as many shots as necessary... In this case the kid appeared to be walking away... So it is still murder in my opinion or at least manslaughter because it just wasn't necessary to shoot even one shot at that point in time. The cop right next to him didn't shoot.

 

My question... I have no idea what all equipment Chicago police or police in general have at their disposal... But this seemed like a good instance to use non-lethal measures.

 

Why not shoot rubber bullets or shoot those taser things for example?

Edited by footmaster

If the kid was charging them with real threat, I say shoot as many shots as necessary... In this case the kid appeared to be walking away... So still murder in my opinion or at least manslaughter because it just wasn't necessary to shoot at that point in time. The cop right next to him didn't shoot.

 

My question... I have no idea what all equipment Chicago police or police in general have at their disposal... But this seemed like a good instance to use non-lethal measures.

 

Why not shoot rubber bullets or shoot those taser things for example?

 

Ok, can you now answer the question as it was asked, thanks.

Ok, can you now answer the question as it was asked, thanks.

I did answer as it was asked, I said in this case... Even with one shot it is Murder or at least manslaughter.

 

Can u answer why non-lethal measures weren't used?

 

Again, I don't know if they had rubber bullets or tasers.

My question... I have no idea what all equipment Chicago police or police in general have at their disposal... But this seemed like a good instance to use non-lethal measures.

 

Why not shoot rubber bullets or shoot those taser things for example?

 

You have to be within around 21 feet to deploy a Taser and if they have on a jacket or backpack it may not go in far enough to work. If you are within 21 feet you are in range of a knife. Most officers don't carry rubber bullets.

 

I'm not defending the officer just pointing out why those aren't always the answer.

 

As for the officer the video looks bad, I'm interested in what else there is to learn about this case before I pile on him or the suspect that was shot.

You have to be within around 21 feet to deploy a Taser and if they have on a jacket or backpack it may not go in far enough to work. If you are within 21 feet you are in range of a knife. Most officers don't carry rubber bullets.

 

I'm not defending the officer just pointing out why those aren't always the answer.

 

As for the officer the video looks bad, I'm interested in what else there is to learn about this case before I pile on him or the suspect that was shot.

 

Thanks for the answer... As I said, I'm ignorant on the subject of how the non-lethals work and that's why I asked.

One thing I continue to question is why hasn't the media or anyone asked why they chose to show the dash cam video provided only? There were several other angles available from looking at the number of vehicles on scene and where they were positioned.

 

People say you can't see the officer from the officer firing from the video, which you can't. So maybe we should get a look at video from one of the suv's he was standing in front of? Does that make to much sense?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.