Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Would we be better served if we cut Universities out of the loop?

Featured Replies

That is for corporations (or any business) to figure out.

 

In short, I think 4 year college degrees are WAY overrated and far too costly.

 

Intriguing thread Ru. Ten or twenty years I would not have agreed with you but I do totally now. College has become the most expensive certification process in history.

 

It would be interesting if some major employers began advertising one or two year programs for high school grads to basically learn the ropes of their company. They would not even have to pay the kids...but the kids would not come out with thousands and thousands of debt. Those kids would come out of the program FAR MORE prepared to work in the real world than most college kids.

 

Probably would not work for doctors but for a lot of professions, it would.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Intriguing thread Ru. Ten or twenty years I would not have agreed with you but I do totally now. College has become the most expensive certification process in history.

 

It would be interesting if some major employers began advertising one or two year programs for high school grads to basically learn the ropes of their company. They would not even have to pay the kids...but the kids would not come out with thousands and thousands of debt. Those kids would come out of the program FAR MORE prepared to work in the real world than most college kids.

 

Probably would not work for doctors but for a lot of professions, it would.

 

I am a pretty deep thinker sometimes.

 

I was pondering our future last night, basically the many ways government is taking over more and more aspects of our lives.

I am a pretty deep thinker sometimes.

 

I was pondering our future last night, basically the many ways government is taking over more and more aspects of our lives.

 

The Republicans could always use another candidate. You are and idea man...give it a shot! This seems more a R idea that D idea to me...

  • Author
The Republicans could always use another candidate. You are and idea man...give it a shot! This seems more a R idea that D idea to me...

 

I am on the right, but not too far over there.

 

Definitely agree with the left on many issues too.

I am on the right, but not too far over there.

 

Definitely agree with the left on many issues too.

 

Forget social issues it's for arguments only. Economics and Foreign Policy is what matters and on that the Democrats will never have me.

 

On this issue kudos for the thread . This needs to be a serious discussion.

  • Author
Forget social issues it's for arguments only. Economics and Foreign Policy is what matters and on that the Democrats will never have me.

 

On this issue kudos for the thread . This needs to be a serious discussion.

 

I agree, I think Universities are "out of control" in many areas.

 

Maybe it is just me, long before the Internet and mass Globalization going to college seemed like a good idea, now a days, not so much.

I agree, I think Universities are "out of control" in many areas.

 

Maybe it is just me, long before the Internet and mass Globalization going to college seemed like a good idea, now a days, not so much.

 

There were some classes I had that I learned more through Google than I did from the professor. Some shouldn't be in a classroom.

Whether is is their self-serving policies, their exploitation of student-athletes, the enormous costs, the ideological slant, the student loan racket, the social justice programs or a host of other things I am sure I have no idea about. Would we be better served if we cut Universities out of the loop?

 

Wouldn't most corporations be better off offering high level job training programs where they offer the best and the brightest positions based on merit rather than count on third party Universities that have a multitude of agendas?

 

I am asking big picture here.

 

I agree with most of your post about the universities. However, in my experiences with corporations and job training programs a lot of individual success is more about who you know and not what you know.

Agreed. In my personal experience I've developed more doing my job. Maybe 40% at most of what I learned in college helps me today.

 

It's insane the years wasted on a college campus.

 

I didn't complete college because I loved to party but in my experience high school was harder than college and that was a large part of my complacency in college. My only complaint at 41 is that I hate my job but I make great money and have excellent benefits. College would have changed that but I still live a good life.

How many 18 year olds know what they want to do when they come out of high school. I think college is important for a lot of people. BUT I also think that a modified version of your idea @theguru, is important. As a society, we need to more highly value the roles of people who provide services and manufacture our products.

 

I also think that now that entry level, good paying jobs are so much less available, the expectation of coming out of college and starting a few steps ahead of the pack is less prevelant.

Whether is is their self-serving policies, their exploitation of student-athletes, the enormous costs, the ideological slant, the student loan racket, the social justice programs or a host of other things I am sure I have no idea about. Would we be better served if we cut Universities out of the loop?

 

Wouldn't most corporations be better off offering high level job training programs where they offer the best and the brightest positions based on merit rather than count on third party Universities that have a multitude of agendas?

 

I am asking big picture here.

 

I agree with this in the broad spectrum of the idea.

 

Like other posters I think the Health Care field that includes doctors, surgeons would have to be excluded. I also agree that this could be done after at least one year or maybe two years of weeding out process.

 

I think to that what you are seeing on these colleges now are the result of both liberal thought process in the college admins and the students. This is a train wreck and will implode like Greece. The colleges wanting money, money, money to pay themselves, and the kids wanting free education, a higher minimum wage for everyone ($15) that has done nothing to earn this. Combine these with now the African Americans wanting segregation in areas ( I mean didn't we just fight against this several years back?) on college campuses, we are headed down a road we do not want to travel. These ideas and movements are just in the infancy now, but let them get some traction and see what happens in a few years.

 

When things happen that does not make any common sense to the average person, there is a bigger picture that is behind the scenes that is pushing an agenda. We as Americans had better wake up before the America we know is gone.

Serious question.

 

Why are there no conservative arts?

Health care professions are likely an exception. I'm not cool with having my gall bladder removed by a serf.

 

As if a medical school education guarantees your gall bladder won't be removed by a serf!

Whether is is their self-serving policies, their exploitation of student-athletes, the enormous costs, the ideological slant, the student loan racket, the social justice programs or a host of other things I am sure I have no idea about. Would we be better served if we cut Universities out of the loop?

 

Wouldn't most corporations be better off offering high level job training programs where they offer the best and the brightest positions based on merit rather than count on third party Universities that have a multitude of agendas?

 

I am asking big picture here.

 

Corporations have no interest in training new or untenured employees. They expect new employees to have the skills need to perform from day 1. The evolution of 3rd world guest worker programs have fed this expectation.

 

Students need to take responsibility for the quality of their own education by choosing majors that are relevant to the job market. Too many kids are settling for majors that get them the same jobs they could of had coming out of high school.

What about having the tuition for the degree offered being be based on the earnings of a job in that field, in say the first five year after graduation?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.