Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Would we be better served if we cut Universities out of the loop?

Featured Replies

What about having the tuition for the degree offered being be based on the earnings of a job in that field, in say the first five year after graduation?

 

Philosophy degree - $1.98

  • Replies 40
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I have a soft spot for philosophy. Helped improve my college GPA.

 

There were three areas in which I: a) took multiple classes, and: b) earned A's" in those classes. All three areas started with "ph".

 

A. Philosophy

2. Physical Education

D. Physics

Obviously different high school students have various ideas about what direction they want to go after graduation with numerous choices of fields to pursue, so a variety of options of how to obtain proper knowledge of them can be beneficial depending on what your talents and potential are. One size does not fit all.

 

Personally at 18, while I wasn't eager to start another 4 years of intense studying, and didn't have a full vision of what exactly I wanted to do, and feared wasting my time when I didn't have my heart in the idea, I signed up for an inexpensive (at the time $6 a month) one year program at a Vocational school in computer training with a job placement program.

 

I had been exposed minimally in high school to computer technology in the early 80's and found myself fascinated by the ever growing field that was already proving itself to be have a long lasting future.

 

Within a year and a half of graduating high school, and at the age of 19 the V-School helped to placed me in a training position at a computing center with the potential for future full time, full benefits promotions. This proved to be effective because I continued to learn and be promoted when the opportunity presented itself. Since I was working at a University this also provided me with the benefit of free schooling, which I took advantage of more for pleasure than anything else, but certainly could have maximized if I had been more motivated to focus on a degree.

 

Although my vision at that age wasn't fully realized, I was off an running at age 20 with a full time professional income with benefits while many my age were still fulfilling their 4 years of college with accompanying debts from loans piling up before they had any solid foundation for paying them off, while filling up their time working low paying part time jobs trying to, while compromising their studies for being so bogged down with trying to do both.

 

Some succeeded in advancing their careers in what they majored in while most ultimately abandoned their intended direction, and took whatever positions they could to start supporting themselves.

 

With this being the age for them that many were also thinking marriage and starting a family, debt was a way of life before they could really get a start to get on top of it all, and have spent many years trying to play catch up.

 

Society seemed to celebrate the idea of kids attending and completing college, while looking at a focused technical training in a 1 year program at a community college as being a stepchild direction to take where one was shortchanging their future possibilities.

 

I felt the "Oh you're only going to V-School" reaction from others as if it was viewed as a sign of low ambitions, and that this wouldn't get me anywhere, or that I wasn't going to a "real" school.

 

What I was personally experiencing and seeing college students experience showed me firsthand that this could very well be a misconception and myth of societal view for some in some circumstances. Certainly a college degree has also been and can be beneficial for many, but personally I have no regrets for having taken the direction that I did giving me a quick jump start while avoiding all the traps of student loan debt while just barely having started my adult life.

Heck, I am in my 40's and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up!

Serious question.

 

Why are there no conservative arts?

This is why:

 

cartoon007.jpg

 

;)

Addendum:

 

I do have one regret in that I never became the rock star that I always dreamed of being since uttering my first 3 words.

 

Mommy, Daddy, and The Beatles.

Addendum:

 

I do have one regret in that I never became the rock star that I always dreamed of being since uttering my first 3 words.

 

Mommy, Daddy, and The Beatles.

That's four words.... :woot:
Intriguing thread Ru. Ten or twenty years I would not have agreed with you but I do totally now. College has become the most expensive certification process in history.

 

It would be interesting if some major employers began advertising one or two year programs for high school grads to basically learn the ropes of their company. They would not even have to pay the kids...but the kids would not come out with thousands and thousands of debt. Those kids would come out of the program FAR MORE prepared to work in the real world than most college kids.

 

Probably would not work for doctors but for a lot of professions, it would.

 

They used to call those types of things apprenticeships, back in the day.

That's four words.... :woot:

 

I counted five.

 

But that's probably a function of my liberal arts degree.:lol2:

I counted five.

 

But that's probably a function of my liberal arts degree.:lol2:

 

Does your degree not help you get that the word and was being used as a conjunction? If not, I'd like my pizza with mushrooms, pepperoni and extra cheese... :lol2:

Serious question.

 

Why are there no conservative arts?

 

I am not sure...but I am pretty conservative and pretty much have no artistic ability AT ALL!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.