Opening Weekend

JesusShuttlesworth

Is it illegal to shoot an Elk this weekend?

There is a photo on FB of a guy that thinks his dad shot a cool looking deer...it is a small elk with a about 6 points. Is this guy in for some trouble?

12004674_10153366724016225_6973754089952313387_n.jpg?oh=038932ffbcd2bebc803bdb18e4f0762f&oe=56F5F49B

If your outside the restoration zone you can (at least you use to be able to) buy a state at large elk tag over the counter. So if this guy shot this dude outside the restoration zone it would be like shooting a whitetail without a tag. If it's inside the restoration zone I'm not sure what other charges they can tack on. My suggestion is he turns his self in and plead ignorance. Won't keep him from getting in trouble but might be better than waiting for them to find him.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 of us went out. 4-8's, a four and a 9 were taken.

I only saw a couple of does and a spike.

Side note. One of my buddies climbed up an old ladder to a climber tree stand. He stepped on the climber stand and it dropped to the ground. It was a hospital trip but he is OK

Were you in my neck of the woods?

Glad your buddy's okay.

If your outside the restoration zone you can (at least you use to be able to) buy a state at large elk tag over the counter. So if this guy shot this dude outside the restoration zone it would be like shooting a whitetail without a tag. If it's inside the restoration zone I'm not sure what other charges they can tack on. My suggestion is he turns his self in and plead ignorance. Won't keep him from getting in trouble but might be better than waiting for them to find him.

Yep. Man that's some good eatin'. Hope he didn't break the law to acquire it. Cause they can take the animal as well as your weapon and truck and it's a bad deal.

How long did that take to build? I've been wanting to do something like this, but not real sure how to even go about it.

Not long, I'd say about 3 hours maybe 3 1/2 to build everything. It's 6'x6'x8'.... I predrilled the holes for the legs, and numbered them before I put anything together. I built the steps, platform at home. I cut all the bracing at home too, and predrilled the holes in the steps. So all we had to do was put the legs on the platform, and braces, set the steps up and drill into the platform. There are 4x4 supports under the platform at the top of the steps not shown in the picture. Took about an hour to assemble the legs, steps, platform and braces in the field. If you decide to build one, PM me, I can give you a few tips if needed

Not long, I'd say about 3 hours maybe 3 1/2 to build everything. It's 6'x6'x8'.... I predrilled the holes for the legs, and numbered them before I put anything together. I built the steps, platform at home. I cut all the bracing at home too, and predrilled the holes in the steps. So all we had to do was put the legs on the platform, and braces, set the steps up and drill into the platform. There are 4x4 supports under the platform at the top of the steps not shown in the picture. Took about an hour to assemble the legs, steps, platform and braces in the field. If you decide to build one, PM me, I can give you a few tips if needed

Sounds good to me. Chances are I won't be doing anything like that until summer. But I do want to build one.

What would you charge to build one for me?

Any one that has land for lease next year I would love to know about it, PM me if you want, I have 2 kids and a father in law that I would love to be able to go some place where we didnt have to worry about other people. We all have hunter safety class, I appreciate it. We hunt in Henry County currently, last 6 years, just wanting something where my father in law can go with his grandkids and me.

Saw a couple of young 8pters Saturday evening, saw a nice looking young 10pt Sunday morning and a couple of does Sunday evening right at dark. Had I seen the does Saturday evening I would have taken one of them for a ride the back of the truck. Being Sunday night, right at dark, I really didn't feel like messing with them.

I'm pretty sure the 10pt I saw Sunday morning was shot Monday or yesterday by the daughter of a guy that hunts the property next door to our lease.

Two of the guys I hunt with both took 8pters, one Saturday evening and one Sunday morning.