Opening Weekend

JesusShuttlesworth

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lack of hard frosts so far looking back on inactivity. The deer are enjoying mild night time temps and are taking advantage! The serious chasing hopefully takes place over the next three weeks.

Anyone bow hunting over the last month and can verify or confirm "chasing."

Just turned on the furnace last night for the 1st time!

I know this will sound kinda nuts, but I really don't care if I ever shoot another buck. Now, if that once in a lifetime dude strolls out, best believe I'm gonna choot heem. But I like long shots. We always try to harvest a doe for jerky and backstraps of course. But I like it when they're out there around 300. I wait til the 2nd weekend to go. I seldom hunt first weekend. I hunt a place where a long shot is probable. I dig that.

The doe I took last year was only 200ish away, I didn't even range her. The year before I took one at 314yds according to the Leupold. That's fun.

I know this will sound kinda nuts, but I really don't care if I ever shoot another buck. Now, if that once in a lifetime dude strolls out, best believe I'm gonna choot heem. But I like long shots. We always try to harvest a doe for jerky and backstraps of course. But I like it when they're out there around 300. I wait til the 2nd weekend to go. I seldom hunt first weekend. I hunt a place where a long shot is probable. I dig that.

The doe I took last year was only 200ish away, I didn't even range her. The year before I took one at 314yds according to the Leupold. That's fun.

I'm the exact opposite...I like to drop them close enough I don't have to walk too far, I gun hunt more like I bow hunt and in the same thick stuff.

I have a general rule of thumb on bucks: if not bigger than the last, pass. I will shoot does all season and my only debate is if I shoot two and process at same time, or spread the season out.

My expectation this year is between 2 and 4 does in the freezer. With the cold weather coming in Friday night, Saturday morning is looking like a win

Thought it would be a great opening morning, especially with awesome weather.

Saw 8 does, and one little 6 pointer hot on the trail of a doe.

Pretty quiet morning though.

Old ladies cousin got a crazy looking 10 pointer. One antler was straight up, and the other one straight out to the side. Had no front teeth either.

Old ladies cousin got a crazy looking 10 pointer. One antler was straight up, and the other one straight out to the side. Had no front teeth either.

Can't feed em meth as an attractant

Tell her thanks for thinning out the weak ones.