Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Can a player play youth and freshman football?

Featured Replies

Is a player permitted by KHSAA to play both youth league

and Freshman football at the same time? I could not

find anything on the KHSAA website. I know the restrictions

on basketball but not football.

Is a player permitted by KHSAA to play both youth league

and Freshman football at the same time? I could not

find anything on the KHSAA website. I know the restrictions

on basketball but not football.

 

I don't know why any kid would want to. With Freshman practice everyday and games on Thursday, then you throw in little league practice and games on weekends, why would anyone want to put themselves thru that. Talk about overload.:irked:

Actually I think By law 8 would prevent this. It says, in summary, that any student who, after enrolling in the grade nine, participated in football at any level (grades 9-12, which would of course include freshman football) and has eligibility remaining in that sport (which a freshman would) cannot participate on any non school sponsored team in that sport from the first day of school through the last scheduled contest played in that sport (including playoff games) by that school unless it has been sanctioned by the KHSAA. My guess is that youth league is not sanctioned by the KHSAA. Hope that helps.

My question would be what youth league has 14 year olds playing anyway. Most youth leagues I know of go to age 12 then after that middle school programs take over.

Not in Jefferson County where there is no middle school football. Many 8th graders play on the freshmen teams.

Not in Jefferson County where there is no middle school football. Many 8th graders play on the freshmen teams.
I'm curious, who in Jefferson Co does this? I know it was illegal for me to work out with Manual when I was an eight grader, and that was after the season ended.

If they are going into the eighth grade, I read the rule as possible. But who would think that it would be doable? How could you practice on both teams at once? Seems pretty much impossible to me, but good question.

I know it has happened before. Another school in this county had a player while in eighth grade, played in the Bullitt County Youth League and freshman football.

I am not sure about now but in 1988 someone tried to play Freshmen football and in the Ft. Thomas youth league as an 8th grader and he was not allowed. I am not sure if it was a school league or what.

I know when I played my 8th grade year in the NKYFL there was atleast one if not more players playing for Holmes Freshman team and the Bengal Tigers at the same time. That was before this new rule, so I don't know how this rule affects situations like that.

Youth leagues in my area only go in 2 divisions, .... 7-8-9 yr olds in 1 division and 10-11-12 yr olds in the upper division. This hasn't been an issue here in the 8th grade.

MOST youth leagues or middle schools to feed to one certain high school. So as a high school coach or even a youth coach you would want or hope the youth/middle school team would run some of the same general plays the high school runs to help the kids be even more succesful when they hit high school as they would be familar some of the plays.

Basically my point is, it wouldnt to hard to manage two different teams. I dont see it being leagal by the KHSAA though.

 

 

Another thing though, how can the KHSAA stop you from playing in a outside league? I've never understood the NCAA. Your not hurting either league. Your just taking even more of a chance of getting hurt.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.