Message to Highlands Players and Coaches

jbwill2

I want to offer the following to the current Highlands football players and coaches...

A lot has and is being said and written about this year's Highlands football squad that I am sure is frustrating and disheartening for not only the players and coaches, but also the fans. There is much discussion about why the team is currently 1-5 and how the 'Birds are having a historically disappointing season. I have no connection to any of the players or coaches at Highlands, and certainly have no insight into why things are going differently for the team at this point in the season compared to previous years' squads. With that said, I challenge all of you to work your hardest and try your best to change the narrative of this year's story, as you are in a very unique position to become legendary in Fort Thomas in a way that previous years were not. You have the opportunity and the privilege to be remembered by future generations as the Highlands team that started the year 1-5, including 3 running-clock mercy rule games, and rallied to... who knows?... win its district over archrival CovCath, win the region, or why not?... capture a state title. I am sure all of you are tired of hearing about the amazing feats that Highlands has accomplished over the past eight years. Well, right now you have the opportunity to do what none of those eight great Highlands squads that preceded you had to face: to win at a time when your backs are truly against the wall and everyone has written you off. I don't know what this team is capable of, but I can assure you that if you are able to meet the challenges that await in district play and in the postseason, you will be remembered for a lot longer than the previous eight Highlands teams.

Many people are saying this year's Highlands team will make history in a negative way, and I challenge you to prove them correct by half: to make history, but in a positive manner.

Go 'Birds!

Cordially,

Your biggest fan in North Carolina

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Highlands has a great shot at playing in the state championship game. They have five losses but all to very good 6A teams. Outside of Covington Catholic, Pulaski County, and Southwestern, their side of 5A is pretty weak. And a state semifinal against Pulaski or Southwestern would be in Fort Thomas. I'm not ready to predict either of those two walk into there and win.

I still think Highlands has a great shot at playing in the state championship game. They have five losses but all to very good 6A teams. Outside of Covington Catholic, Pulaski County, and Southwestern, their side of 5A is pretty weak. And a state semifinal against Pulaski or Southwestern would be in Fort Thomas. I'm not ready to predict either of those two walk into there and win.

I really hope you are right but I think many are thinking of 5A as

Being the same as 4A.

It's not. I don't think it's as easy as some think to make it to the title game especially with a losing record.

The thing everyone has to remember this KY hogh school football. Only thing that matters is district games. Almost every year the Birds destroy the bigger schools on theit schedule but dont have the talent this year vs the body boys. No bid deal theylearn and get bbetter every single week to prepare for the district schedule. This year reminds me a lot of the NewCath program. They always schedule much bigger schools to prepare for their district some years they cam beat them some years they cant. Sure you want to win them all but the most important thing is to get better and play your best when it really matters. Sure you could schedule a bunch of terrible small schools like some teams do just to get wins but that does nothing at all to make you any better in fact probably make a team worse. The Birds will be just fine when it matters and will make a solid run like always.

LOL, NO CHANCE, Bowling Green will beat any of these teams by 4 TD's. :popcorn:

The thing everyone has to remember this KY hogh school football. Only thing that matters is district games. Almost every year the Birds destroy the bigger schools on theit schedule but dont have the talent this year vs the body boys. No bid deal theylearn and get bbetter every single week to prepare for the district schedule. This year reminds me a lot of the NewCath program. They always schedule much bigger schools to prepare for their district some years they cam beat them some years they cant. Sure you want to win them all but the most important thing is to get better and play your best when it really matters. Sure you could schedule a bunch of terrible small schools like some teams do just to get wins but that does nothing at all to make you any better in fact probably make a team worse. The Birds will be just fine when it matters and will make a solid run like always.

You're nuts, this is a bad HHS team, period!

My goal for Highlands right now is to not finish with a losing record. To do so, they need to win their next 4 regular season games (still not a gimme) and the first playoff game. This would ensure the streak of not having a losing record since 1955, 60 years. Pretty impressive.

I really think it's not as bad as some may think. I actually think Highlands will take this season and use it to their advantage in the years to come to motivate and prepare their players for the better.

I think you're right, it's what good programs do and it's what I expect will happen.