Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Belfry/Cabell Midland, WV Predictions

Belfry vs. Cabell Midland 10 members have voted

  1. 1. Belfry vs. Cabell Midland

    • Belfry
      60%
    • Cabell Midland
      40%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

This should be a dandy!

 

Cabell Midland is the #1 overall team in West Virginia and this may be their best team in school history. CM is the largest school in West Virginia and would be a 6A team in Kentucky.

 

Should be an outstanding matchup.. both teams are huge and it will look like a College Game up front. Both Olines average over 6'2 and around 300 Pounds. Both teams have elite Dlines as well for the HS level. Belfry has their dominant line with Horton and Bentley and the Knights have some monsters as well and also Mr. Reece Donahue, a 6'4 245 DE who is going to WVU and may be the best player in the Mountain State.

 

For a comparison Cabell Midland to me is almost a dead ringer for Simon Kenton in terms of personnel and physicality. Not really loaded with athleticism, but a big, strong, deep team with some hard nosed playmakers.

 

This is a stretch of games where Belfry will have play 5 straight games against very good competition. So far they are 3-0 in this stretch. Cabell Midland is the best of the lot by a good distance. I felt confident against a supremely talented Knoxville Catholic, but I am having a hard time seeing the Pirates win this one. Expect them to compete and challenge for 4 Quarters though. If Belfry wins... look out 3A.

Belfry and Johnson Central are similar in their style of play. Having said that and comparing the CM scrimmage against JC (albeit a scrimmage I know), I think Belfry can move the ball against CM. JC won the game by 14 and were able to hit a few quick passes and move the ball 3-5 yards at a time on the ground against CM (tough yards all night).

 

I havent got to see Belfry in person yet this year, but going off what I saw on film this should be a great game as their defense will give CM (who is about 65% run) trouble up front. IMO this contest will come down to game management by Belfry. If they are able to sustain long drives (which I think they can), then the Pirates will have a great chance to get a win in hostile territory.

 

Your right about Donahue from Midland, he is huge and fast. If Belfry has a kid that can keep him in check one-on-one (maybe help from a back or TE from time to time), then Belfry will control the line of scrimmage on that side of the ball. Donahue opens up the defense for the LB's and allows the DB's to play man on the edges due to lack of time the QB has to pass (at least in general terms). The only team that CM has seen all year like Belfry is JC so they may be shocked at how hard the Pirates hit early in the game. This could be an advantage for Belfry in the first half.

 

Assuming special teams and big plays are a push, my head tells me CM wins 24-20 but my heart tells me Belfry 28-27. Should be a dandy nonetheless as I will be pulling for the Mountain Boys on this side of the boundary.

Edited by 15th Region

  • Author

This Donahue kid really impresses me @15th Region

 

I honestly think if he lived on the other side of the river in Ohio he would be a National Recruit. Kid is nasty and can play!

 

Belfry has a pretty darn good OT in the Dotson kid and have Bentley at TE. I am hoping they can help neutralize him. Just liek Ray Horton though...you may neutralize him for 80% of the game... but that other 20% he can change the outcome.

 

From what I have seen on film CM and Belfry are very similar teams just different schemes. Both have monstrous Olines that are normally a mis-match in their favor. CM uses a wingback and a slot receiver, Belfry uses two wings. Both offenses begin and end with the success of their Fullback.

 

I think Belfry has a slight edge in speed and athleticism. Belfry has guys who can take it to the house from 60 yards. CM's big plays are more 25-30 yards. CM though is a superior passing team.

This Donahue kid really impresses me @15th Region

 

I honestly think if he lived on the other side of the river in Ohio he would be a National Recruit. Kid is nasty and can play!

 

Belfry has a pretty darn good OT in the Dotson kid and have Bentley at TE. I am hoping they can help neutralize him. Just liek Ray Horton though...you may neutralize him for 80% of the game... but that other 20% he can change the outcome.

 

From what I have seen on film CM and Belfry are very similar teams just different schemes. Both have monstrous Olines that are normally a mis-match in their favor. CM uses a wingback and a slot receiver, Belfry uses two wings. Both offenses begin and end with the success of their Fullback.

 

I think Belfry has a slight edge in speed and athleticism. Belfry has guys who can take it to the house from 60 yards. CM's big plays are more 25-30 yards. CM though is a superior passing team.

 

Great insight! Cant make it to this game, but will try to listen to the radio broadcast. Hope your Pirates pull it out! On a side note, do you know any other offers the Donahue kid had prior to committing to WVU?

  • Author

Dont see any others listed.

 

He has the same issue EKY kids do. That stigma man. West Virginia only produces maybe one or two D-1 guys per year..but it seems the ones who do go D-1 end up being very good.

Donahue will also line up in the backfield for their power/short yardage situations. #2 and #1 provide a nice 1-2- punch for Midland in the backfield. #75 is a huge offensive lineman with word from many of the Midland fans after our scrimmage is that he is being courted by Ohio State, Marshall and WVU. #2 7 is a stud at Mike. He was all over the field against JC and was probably in on about 75% of their tackles during the varsity scrimmage. This game will be tight but I fully expect Belfry to be able to move the ball well enough to sustain long time consuming drives to keep Midlands explosive offense on the sidelines. I'll go with Belfry for the W, 28-24.

Here are some highlights from CM's game against South Charleston last week.

 

 

This should be a whale of a game. Midland will probably be one of the few teams Belfry sees this year that is more than capable of holding their own in the trenches. If Belfry wins this game, they've got a very real claim to #1 in 3A, IMO.

 

To answer a previous question, I believe Donahue received an offer from Purdue prior to committing to WVU.

Belfry gets crushed. They are over-matched in this one.

In reading about the W.VA power I have found these are other players to watch.

 

1-SR-JACOB HENDRICKS- CB/ATHLETE-6-1-195-CABELL MIDLAND,W. VA

 

2-FB-S-DEVIN STAPLETON--5-10-170-CABELL MIDLAND,W. VA

 

3-SR-TE-TANNER MULLINS-6-2-225-CABELL MIDLAND,W. VA

 

4-FB-MLB-CHRIS CAMP-5-10-195- CABELL MIDLAND,W. VA

 

5-FB-CAPERTON HUMPHREY-6-2-200-CABELL MIDLAND,W. VA

 

6-SR-DEF END-SAM PERRY-6-3-225-DEF END- CABELL MIDLAND,W. VA

 

7-JR-GUARD- HUNTER HICKS-6-1-245-CABELL MIDLAND,W. VA

 

8-SR-CENTER/LB-LUCAS JACOBS-6-2-295-CABELL MIDLAND,W. VA

 

9-SOPH-LINEMAN-BRIER EISWICK-6-5-330-CABELL MIDLAND,W. VA

I don't think Belfry will win this one, but then again I picked against them in the Knoxville game so what do I know?

 

Win or lose do Kentucky proud, boys.

As a fan of Kentucky football I hope Belfry gets the win. But in reality, I just don't see it happening. Win or lose, it will be a great learning experience for Belfry.

 

Scrimmages are just scrimmages, so its hard to tell if JC is two td's better than Cabbell. George Washington also beat Cabbell in their scrimmage, so its hard to base much off of that. But if JC is in fact two td's better than them, I imagine Belfry is right on par with them. I hope that's the case, but I just have a feeling that Cabbell is better than their 0-2 scrimmage record indicates

  • Author

Keys to a Belfry Win:

 

- Be Bulls, Not Oxen

 

Bulls and Oxen have a lot of similarities. Big and strong animals that can run you over. Belfry and CM are both HUGE teams, but from what I see I think I like Belfry's big guys a little more. Cabell Midland has more of those big bodies, but I look at Belfry's 300 pound monsters and I see a little more athleticism. An oxe will just try to grind you, a bull though... well he can grind you and destroy you with his power. Belfry needs to be the more aggressive team in the trenches and use their athleticism to win the day.

 

- Win The Kicking Game

 

West Virginia has never been a hot bed for Special Teams excellence, but Belfry is gifted with two extraordinary talents in Special Teams. Austin Woolum is the best kept kicking secret in the State. As a Freshman he had the onions to kick the Game Winning FG in the State Finals. Last year he was a weapon for Belfry but was lost for most of the year with an injury. This year he has been stellar. 75-80% of his kicks are touchbacks and he has range to 45 yards without question. Last week he attempted a 58 yard FG that would definitely have been good from 55 yards. Woolum needs to steal 3 points that may have otherwise been left off the board and his kickoffs need to make sure CM is staring at the 15.

 

Devin Wellman may be even more valuable Friday though. Wellman would be an All-State Punter at a school that he had to punt a lot. He hasn't been asked to punt much this year but I anticipate at least 4 punts Friday.If he can push CM back an extra 15 yard per possession that may be the difference in a drive stalling around midfield on 4th and 2... or CM going for 4th and 2 at the Belfry 35 to continue on towards a score.

 

CM has yet to attempt a Field Goal all season and are 27/30 on XP's. Woolum is 28/29 on XP's and has made 3/5 Field Goals with one of those misses coming from 58 yards.

 

- Don't Give In To Homefield Advantage

 

This is going to be a raucous game with a huge crowd and a ton of pomp and circumstance. This is possibly the best Cabell Midland team in school history and they are riding high and the community is fully behind them. Mix in the mystery of the State Champions across the river and the fact Belfry travels well and this is going to be a big time scene.

 

CM has some interesting pre-game rituals and I don't expect many 50-50 calls to go Belfry's way. This is also going to be a game that maxes out the physicality meter with some massive hits. It is VERY important for Belfry to stay loose and not to get caught up in the emotion. Simply put, it is going to be hard enough as it is.. don't compound it by giving free yards with mental lapses. Understand there will be calls you don't agree with as well... you can't change the call..all you can do is make up for it the next play.

 

- Be Quick, But Don't Hurry

 

In the immortal words of John Wooden, the Pirates need to find a comfortable pace where their Offense is "clicking" but don't try to push it so fast you make critical mistakes. The past two weeks Belfry has left a ton of points off the board by simply put, playing sloppy.

 

Re-watching the Knoxville Catholic game the biggest culprit I saw was Belfry got too comfortable at times with how efficient they were. Twice they marched easily down the field to the redzone to end up with 3 total points, they also had a 54 yard TD run into a 1st and 29... a 73 yard flip. The culprit mainly were simple things. False Starts on 1st and 10 and fumbled exchanges. The big play is going to be hard to find for either team, and both thrive on driving the football. Lost yardage will be critical... if you lose yardage make sure it isn't from a self inflicted or unnecessary penalty.

Good info ATL, but you left off a big key for Belfry. Take care of the football and win the turnover battle. If the Pirates give away possessions they will make an uphill battle steeper. All those keys you listed become irrelevant if we turn the ball over.

 

I know a lot of folks are picking the Pirates, and they are hard to pick against, but I'm not sure everyone really sees how much of a favorite Cabell Midland really is in this game.

 

I know computer rankings mean nothing in the big picture, but here is how MaxPreps sees it.

 

Cabell Midland: National Rank (231), WV Rank (1), Class AAA Rank (1), Power Rating (50.8)

 

Belfry: National Rank (581), KY Rank (10), Class AAA Rank (1), Power Rating (42.8)

 

In KY Cabell Midland would be ranked 4th between Simon Kenton (55.5) and St. X (49.0)

Go Belfry! I'm pulling of you guys! Beat the Mountaineers because their all Mountaineer over there to me!:D

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.